LG Display's profits grow, but reports cite 'weakened' demand for Apple's iPhone & iPad

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igriv View Post


    What exactly is your point? Are you surprised? Would you rather the stock keep nosediving (after all, Apple doesn't care, and it would really screw those evil investing types)?



     


    Are you surprised Mr 375 doom and gloom?

  • Reply 82 of 88
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post


    [...] My issue with Cook is the lack of communication, lack of articulated strategy and what I believe to be his and upper mgmt's whiff on the impact competition would have on their products including the larger form factors.  I think some of this was due to arrogance.



     


    I am by no means qualified to comment on matters related to the market or management of a multibillion dollar corporation, but as a customer (as opposed to an investor) I actually feel more comfortable with Cook at the helm than Jobs.


     


    Jobs had imagination that may or may not still exist at Apple. He "invented" entirely new categories of products the world had not imagined before he created them. I always felt like he was telling me that he knew better than I what's best for me though, and that if my needs and wants were inconsistent with what he was offering it was an indication of a shortcoming on MY part, not a reason to consider changes to a product.


     


    Cook, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as a creative genius churning out entirely new ways of interacting with the world, but he does seem like the kind of guy who is open to considering opinions other than his own. I get the feeling that he's more likely to respond to signs that the world wants something else (think iPad Mini) than stubbornly insist he knows what's best like Jobs.


     


    Obviously my impressions may be completely wrong, but I'm okay with feeling at least cautiously optimistic about Apple instead of wary and suspicious!

  • Reply 83 of 88
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    Rumors have been said that the next iPad will feature a different display technology. I wonder how sites reporting rumors wonder about this lowered demand of older displays.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,510member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Explain Amazon.

    Ouch. We may have wait awhile for jdnc 123 to cook up an answer.

    Anyway, best post of the week nominee.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    Are you surprised Mr 375 doom and gloom?



    WTF are you talking about?

  • Reply 86 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by v5v View Post


     


    I am by no means qualified to comment on matters related to the market or management of a multibillion dollar corporation, but as a customer (as opposed to an investor) I actually feel more comfortable with Cook at the helm than Jobs.


     


    Jobs had imagination that may or may not still exist at Apple. He "invented" entirely new categories of products the world had not imagined before he created them. I always felt like he was telling me that he knew better than I what's best for me though, and that if my needs and wants were inconsistent with what he was offering it was an indication of a shortcoming on MY part, not a reason to consider changes to a product.


     


    Cook, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as a creative genius churning out entirely new ways of interacting with the world, but he does seem like the kind of guy who is open to considering opinions other than his own. I get the feeling that he's more likely to respond to signs that the world wants something else (think iPad Mini) than stubbornly insist he knows what's best like Jobs.


     


    Obviously my impressions may be completely wrong, but I'm okay with feeling at least cautiously optimistic about Apple instead of wary and suspicious!



     


    You underestimate Jobs. He was not as arrogant as you think -- he spent a lot of time and effort cultivating media types in private, and he also said whatever was expedient (in other words, lied as necessary). It is fairly clear that dismissing the iPad mini idea was one of these fibs, since if you look at the timing it is quite obvious that its development was started when he was still around. Cook just doesn't isn't the con artist Jobs was -- few people are. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Ruling by committee, which is what often meant by "being open to opinions other than his own", usually (not always) is. Plus "cautiously optimistic" is almost synonymous with "wary". Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we will see what we see tomorrow and in the next few months. Technology is developing at an amazing pace, and we should be prepared to be bowled over by the next great thing (whether or not it comes from Apple).

  • Reply 87 of 88
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igriv View Post


    [...] Ruling by committee, which is what often meant by "being open to opinions other than his own", usually (not always) is.



     


    I don't know how things work at Apple so I have no idea whether Cook is a consensus guy or not. I do know that willingness to listen doesn't have to mean ruling by committee though. I work for a guy who will listen to my opinions and respond with either "That's a good idea" or "I understand what you're saying, but I still think this is the best way to go." He's secure enough to realize that others may have good ideas too, but confident enough to reject them if he doesn't think they're going to pay off.


     


     




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by igriv View Post


    Plus "cautiously optimistic" is almost synonymous with "wary".



     


    Not the way I intended it. "Wary" was accompanied by a generally negative feeling. My version of "cautiously optimistic" comes with a positive outlook.

  • Reply 88 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by v5v View Post


     


    I don't know how things work at Apple so I have no idea whether Cook is a consensus guy or not. I do know that willingness to listen doesn't have to mean ruling by committee though. I work for a guy who will listen to my opinions and respond with either "That's a good idea" or "I understand what you're saying, but I still think this is the best way to go." He's secure enough to realize that others may have good ideas too, but confident enough to reject them if he doesn't think they're going to pay off.


     


     




     


    Not the way I intended it. "Wary" was accompanied by a generally negative feeling. My version of "cautiously optimistic" comes with a positive outlook.




     


    I understand everything you say, all I am saying is that in both cases there is a fine semantic line, so your boss, from what you say, is on the good side, but it takes a lot of confidence to listen and take decisions. I have no doubt that Cook is very confidence in his area of expertise (operations), but he might be more tentative when it comes to products, which, for a company like Apple is a very bad thing. I hope that this is not so, but it IS possible that the Peter Principle has fired again.

Sign In or Register to comment.