Tim Cook admits he wishes Apple had held launch of new iMac until 2013

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I don't remember any of you bitching like little girls about the "unnecessary ODD" in your previous iMac.
    The redesign was for 1 reason only, to bring down the price of manufacture and to increase profit.
    No ODD, less material, less weight to ship, smaller packaging. If it had resulted in a cheaper iMac then fair enough but it didn't.

Yes I realise that spending your life on here bitching and arguing like your opinions are facts doesn't require a CD drive, however, many of us use this still very current form of media. What's the point in a super thin AIO if you have to clutter your desktop up with thing to make it as useable as the previous model.

"Don't buy one then". I hear you and I won't. I suspect a lot of other everyday users won't either.
    The current iMac is really no different to a Mac mini with a screen. However the mini is easier to work on and cheaper.
    If you are going to be forced to have an external ODD then you aren't losing out by having a Mac mini there as well.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I guess it doesn't matter at this point, the issues are all solved now. And such a beautiful computer.

• Reply 43 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

Where is the value for users…

You'll see in a few years.

Originally Posted by bmeclipse View Post

Tim should have waited on its iPad revamp last fall and it should have anticipated consumer demand for cheaper and also larger iPhone lines.

No, not at all.

• Reply 44 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well, you could stop 'detesting add-on speakers' -- like most of the rest of the world that likes to listen to music -- and you'd not have much to whine about?

If not, just suck it up.

You're right, yeah, of course I am aware the fact the the new iMac speakers sound much worse than the old model is my fault. My bad. I must remember your username @anantksundaram, you're really clever.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I didn't even know about sound, and I don't think he did either. However - are you sure it is not your unit rather than general problem?

I am sure. If you're not big into your music and didn't own the previous iMac models you might not notice as much as I did. But you can tell the sound isn't defective as much as an abysmal design decision. It wouldn't be the first time Apple has chosen looks as their core design decision. It's why I can't use their mice. The iMac is great in many other ways, like the screen quality and on such a large display (27") 16:9 suits far better. The smaller chin and the lack of front facing aluminium in the frame are nice too.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

I didn't mind waiting for my new 27" iMac. It's really sweet with the big bright non-glare display, 32 GB RAM, faster processors, etc. I've been buying Macs since 1985, and every new one I get is so much better than the one it replaces. And this one's the most beautiful of them all.

I'm very grateful to Tim and his crew for their resolve to keep creating the best products on the planet. My life is so much better as a result.

• Reply 47 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But he doesn't wish the speakers weren't shit. Which they are. This is my forth iMac and it has by far the worst audio. I use it for music all the time while I work on it, I detest add-on speakers. It annoys me that innovation of the iMac has come to not rate audio quality as near as important as just plain thinness. Design is about trade offs and I can tell you they've made the wrong ones with this iMac. While the bass is good and the treble piercing, the mid range is completely gone and the whole sound sounds like it's been funnelled through a street construction cone, thanks to its thin chin. It was so bad when I first heard it I was actually in shock.

Internal speakers always suck. I've used many iMac models are they're always crap. Just buy a good pair of external speakers and be done with it. Stop bitching about something thats easily fixed because you're too stubborn to get external speakers that will blow any iMac's speakers out of the water. Or, get a good pair of headphones like I have. Use airplay and stream your music through AppleTV to a nice surround sound system. 

Waits to be called an idiot....

• Reply 48 of 70
    ireland wrote: »

I am sure. If you're not big into your music and didn't own the previous iMac models you might not notice as much as I did.

I like music. Big time. I have previous iMac models. Their speakers are pretty shitty too. Given where its already is on the audio quality scale, I am not sure that the even worse speaker quality on the new iMac matters all that much.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

The current iMac is really no different to a Mac mini with a screen. However the mini is easier to work on and cheaper.

If you are going to be forced to have an external ODD then you aren't losing out by having a Mac mini there as well.

Except for the lack of GPU I'd agree...

• Reply 50 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I am sure. If you're not big into your music and didn't own the previous iMac models you might not notice as much as I did. But you can tell the sound isn't defective as much as an abysmal design decision. 

If you were big into music you wouldn't be big into any internal speakers.  Thus far everyone but you seems to understand this.

• Reply 51 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

If you were big into music you wouldn't be big into any internal speakers.  Thus far everyone but you seems to understand this.

My thoughts exactly. If you were into music then you'd get a real set of speakers and possibly even a sub woofer and not rely on crappy small internal speakers that will always sound like crap. These can be had relatively cheap. You don't have to spend $500 to get good sound quality. There are a lot of 2.1 systems that sound pretty damn good for the price you pay. 

• Reply 52 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Except for the lack of GPU I'd agree...

The other difference would be the Mac mini has a dual-core core i5, while the iMac has a quad-core core-5. I would assume this is done more to keep the cost of the Mac mini down than anything else. 

• Reply 53 of 70

I was in line to order a new 21.5 inch iMac at the end of the year --- I have a classroom with 8 of them and I wanted to update one or two.  I did NOT place my order for one reason: no access to the RAM.  That is, IMHO, a really, really dumb idea.

I have no need or desire for a 1mm thin edge - or even a slight reduction in weight - for a computer that will never leave the desk.  The 27 inch is too big for the classroom, but that would be the only way to get an iMac today with a little door over the RAM chips ....

I won't even start to talk about the 2009 Mac Pros that I have been waiting to update in the editing studio.

Someone has to take responsibility for these bad decisions ...

• Reply 54 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

I was in line to order a new 21.5 inch iMac at the end of the year --- I have a classroom with 8 of them and I wanted to update one or two.  I did NOT place my order for one reason: no access to the RAM.  That is, IMHO, a really, really dumb idea.

I have no need or desire for a 1mm thin edge - or even a slight reduction in weight - for a computer that will never leave the desk.  The 27 inch is too big for the classroom, but that would be the only way to get an iMac today with a little door over the RAM chips ....

I won't even start to talk about the 2009 Mac Pros that I have been waiting to update in the editing studio.

Someone has to take responsibility for these bad decisions ...

Why do you need access to the RAM? These days I really don't see it very necessary. If you order the iMac with the proper amount of RAM in the first place then its a non-issue. I support over 100 Macs in a school district and have never needed to touch the RAM slots. 4GB of RAM was more than enough for anything they've used them for, including photo editing, iMovie, graphics design, etc. 

If something were to go wrong well then thats why you have AppleCare. I've had to use them in the past for different misc issues and you ship it to them overnight, its there being fixed 1 day, 2 at the most, and shipped back to you overnight. I've never had a Mac out more than 3-4 days. Not a big deal. I would also hope you purchased AppleCare with your Macs. Really, really silly if you don't.

• Reply 55 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Why do you need access to the RAM? These days I really don't see it very necessary. If you order the iMac with the proper amount of RAM in the first place then its a non-issue. I support over 100 Macs in a school district and have never needed to touch the RAM slots. 4GB of RAM was more than enough for anything they've used them for, including photo editing, iMovie, graphics design, etc. 

If something were to go wrong well then thats why you have AppleCare. I've had to use them in the past for different misc issues and you ship it to them overnight, its there being fixed 1 day, 2 at the most, and shipped back to you overnight. I've never had a Mac out more than 3-4 days. Not a big deal. I would also hope you purchased AppleCare with your Macs. Really, really silly if you don't.

Apple charges too much for RAM - and I (unlike  you) have upgraded the RAM in virtually every Mac I have ever owned since my IIfx in 1991 ...

Programs and needs change - will 8 GB ordered today be enough in 3 years?   Since I run my own studio - rather than some tax payers -  I'll still be using the computers after the Apple Care has expired.  Having to pay a "Genius" to pull off the front of the computer to update RAM is just plain dumb -- IMHO.  Just to make it thin ????  Who makes these decisions and what is their motivation?  

• Reply 56 of 70
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

I have a 2010 iMac that's been in the "shop" 3x in the past three years because soot was sucked into the space between the LED and the glass enclosure. I've Googkled it and thousands of iMac owners suffered the same fate. So Apple had to refresh the iMac to correct this design defect regardless of the upgrade cycle. I've contested for month Apple release too many products at the same time last Fall, many of which they couldn't deliver because of unforseen manufacturing snafus.

• Reply 57 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

The other difference would be the Mac mini has a dual-core core i5, while the iMac has a quad-core core-5. I would assume this is done more to keep the cost of the Mac mini down than anything else. 

The $799 Mini is a quad core i7.  The $1,299 21.5" iMac has a quad core i5.  

• Reply 58 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nht wrote: »
    The $799 Mini is a quad core i7.  The $1,299 21.5" iMac has a quad core i5.  

You failed to point out why you'd compare the the slower performing, cheaper Mac mini to the costlier, higher performing iMac that comes with a lot more HW.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Are we talking about announcing the new iMac or launching it? Maybe saying "the new iMac, coming in 2013" would have been better but to still announce it in October.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    winter wrote: »
    Are we talking about announcing the new iMac or launching it? Maybe saying "the new iMac, coming in 2013" would have been better but to still announce it in October.

Announcing it so far in advance would have dire consequences.