Tim Cook admits he wishes Apple had held launch of new iMac until 2013

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Announcing it so far in advance would have dire consequences.

It's not like they sold the old model during the lull anyway. Nor could I imagine them selling any old model of anything after the new one has been announced. Have they ever? They should have just taken preorders… 

• Reply 62 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's not like they sold the old model during the lull anyway. Nor could I imagine them selling any old model of anything after the new one has been announced. Have they ever? They should have just taken preorders… 

1) Older iPhones, iPods, and iPads have been sold after the new ones came out. They've sold most of their older products between announcements and the new ones being dropped but the time is usually very short.

2) Consider how poor the iMac sales were in the Holiday quarter when they were meeting some of the demand. Now negate every single one of those iMac sales from the list. That would just have made it worse. They really should have done a spec bump to the old style last Summer and then released the new one in the first few months of 2013 to maximize revenue and profit.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

1) Older iPhones, iPods, and iPads have been sold after the new ones came out.

Yeah, because they keep making those. Have they ever kept selling a computer after the announcement of the new model thereof?

• Reply 64 of 70
    Yeah, because they keep making those. Have they ever kept selling a computer after the announcement of the new model thereof?

I answered that: "They've sold most of their older products between announcements and the new ones being dropped but the time is usually very short."
  • Reply 65 of 70
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Internal speakers always suck. I've used many iMac models are they're always crap. Just buy a good pair of external speakers and be done with it. Stop bitching about something thats easily fixed because you're too stubborn to get external speakers that will blow any iMac's speakers out of the water. Or, get a good pair of headphones like I have. Use airplay and stream your music through AppleTV to a nice surround sound system. 

Waits to be called an idiot....

You idiot! How dare you come up with such excellent suggestions!!

• Reply 66 of 70
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

I was in line to order a new 21.5 inch iMac at the end of the year --- I have a classroom with 8 of them and I wanted to update one or two.  I did NOT place my order for one reason: no access to the RAM.  That is, IMHO, a really, really dumb idea.

I have no need or desire for a 1mm thin edge - or even a slight reduction in weight - for a computer that will never leave the desk.  The 27 inch is too big for the classroom, but that would be the only way to get an iMac today with a little door over the RAM chips ....

I won't even start to talk about the 2009 Mac Pros that I have been waiting to update in the editing studio.

Someone has to take responsibility for these bad decisions ...

Why not just order them with the amount of RAM you want?

Those iMacs come standard with 8GB RAM now… I've been using a 27" iMac since 2010 loaded with "only" 8GB, running Final Cut, Logic, Adobe CS, etc… I've never come close to running out of RAM or memory. 

What would you be doing in the classroom that would require more? They only go up to 16GB anyway, so you might as well BTO 'em at that amount if you need it and just enjoy……….. it's only $200 more...

• Reply 67 of 70
    You idiot! How dare you come up with such excellent suggestions!!

That made me think of Ren and Stimpy.

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 68 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Why not just order them with the amount of RAM you want?

Those iMacs come standard with 8GB RAM now… I've been using a 27" iMac since 2010 loaded with "only" 8GB, running Final Cut, Logic, Adobe CS, etc… I've never come close to running out of RAM or memory. 

What would you be doing in the classroom that would require more? They only go up to 16GB anyway, so you might as well BTO 'em at that amount if you need it and just enjoy……….. it's only $200 more...

My newest Nikon D800 produces 50MB RAW images - and doing HDR with 9 of the images will give you time to get a sandwich while you watch progress bars go across the screen.  And, 3 years from now ???  Who knows .... more RAM always speeds thing up - and it's cheap to upgrade if you don't have to buy it from Apple or get a "Genius" to pull all the parts out.  I just think that this new design is stupid for a desktop computer .... And, so, I didn't buy any.  Maybe that's why Q1 sucked ?

• Reply 69 of 70
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

You failed to point out why you'd compare the the slower performing, cheaper Mac mini to the costlier, higher performing iMac that comes with a lot more HW.

Er what?  The 2.6Ghz i7 mini is faster than the iMac 2.9 Ghz i5 in anything but GPU heavy work.  For example in the CS6 Liquify or Iris Blur benchmark the mini is horrid but for Remove Noise the mini is much faster than the iMac and slightly faster than the rMBP 2.7 quad i7.

http://barefeats.com/imac12p.html.

What "a lot more HW"?  The primary difference is the monitor, the GPU and the keyboard and mouse.  Of those the only thing you can't buy is the GPU.

Keyboard + Mouse = $140 (actually I like the wired keyboard with the numpad better)

Monitor = $224 - Dell 23" IPS LED monitor 1920x1080.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2312HM-IPS-Monitor/dp/B005LN1JEC

As to why, I was correcting someone regarding the $799 mini has a quad i7 and not a dual i5.  But you don't really read before you post do you?

• Reply 70 of 70
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

My newest Nikon D800 produces 50MB RAW images - and doing HDR with 9 of the images will give you time to get a sandwich while you watch progress bars go across the screen.  And, 3 years from now ???  Who knows .... more RAM always speeds thing up - and it's cheap to upgrade if you don't have to buy it from Apple or get a "Genius" to pull all the parts out.  I just think that this new design is stupid for a desktop computer .... And, so, I didn't buy any.  Maybe that's why Q1 sucked ?

16GB Kit from crucial $125

16GB upgrade Apple $200

Mildly annoying but not a deal breaker. The problem is more the two slots and not really the apple tax or the lack of a door.  I suppose when 16GB sticks come out it might be nice to upgrade to that someday.

/shrug