Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

On what street? Are there streets in Cupertino with actual people on them, people not in cars?

There's one street in New York I don't have any use for.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Oh my God... they are close to Window Metro tile interface colors. :s

I know you're being sarcastic, but it's worth pointing out that they are exactly not MS Metro colors. Microsoft was going for colorful and cheerful, but ended up with kitchen appliance and institutional. Squares trying to be hip, in other words.

These WWDC icon colors are transparent candy colors. They had a name for similar colors back in the original iMac days. What were they called?
  • Reply 23 of 80
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    Finally an event this year !!! We are 7 months without any event, now it's time for something Big.
    Like a new design of MbA maybe with retina or maybe iPhone or iPad or MacPro or super new Mac-books with haswells and 10 h battery life..... Possibilities are endless ! Rumor mill is going to burn hot from this
  • Reply 24 of 80
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

On what street? Are there streets in Cupertino with actual people on them, people not in cars?

Did you actually say something, or just trying in vain once again to find a backdoor to mock something you neither understand nor appreciate, never mind being a part of?

• Reply 25 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wonder if we'll get some future product clues from WWDC? The post below claims claims the lull right now is the calm before the storm.

http://macdailynews.com/2013/04/24/apple-preparing-to-unleash-a-blizzard-of-new-products-says-source/#comments
  • Reply 26 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »

But that one street in NY could give a shit less about iOS and UI design. :\
  • Reply 27 of 80
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 984member
    No! So much better and with taste and class unlike Windows metro!

I'm unfortunate enough to have Windows 8 in Boot Camp so I should know...
  • Reply 28 of 80
    It's nice having something to look forward I know we won't see hardware but after the conference hearing about all the beta versions and such it gets exciting. I'm fine with waiting until things are done right .
  • Reply 29 of 80
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

These WWDC icon colors are transparent candy colors. They had a name for similar colors back in the original iMac days. What were they called?

Good memory!  Those were called "Funtastic" colors. Like "Bondi Blue".

However, these new icon colors look more like AMOLED to me.

j/k  image

• Reply 30 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Good memory!  Those were called "Funtastic" colors. Like "Bondi Blue".

j/k  image

That would be great if they can make a nice AMOLED screen!

Now that would be innovation, the first AMOLED screen worth of being considered "high end".

• Reply 31 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,408moderator
    kdarling wrote: »

I wonder why they went with Roman numerals. There is another company that does that:

• Reply 32 of 80
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

They go with Roman numerals in OS X, so maybe expect that to be prominent ( or upgrade to XI?)

• Reply 33 of 80
    Hmm...there is alot going on here. I think what we are looking at is the transparency of apps, meaning they will be open or "transparent" to use in conjunction with Siri. I think Siri will come out of beta also and be much more improved. I think that Apple TV will be "opened" up to an app ecosystem and developers will begin the phase of creating apps for Apple TV, which in turn will prepare them for the full fledged Apple iTV, which we will see either in the fall or in 2014. The app icons themselves will have a "flattened" look due to Sir Jony Ive's design process. I think overall iOS 7 will be much more cleaner looking and modern. I also believe airplay will be beefed up in a new way as well. I think some sort of sharing features and more social integration MIGHT have something to with iOS 7 since the WWDC logo appears to have all of the apps connected or one with each other.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Marvin wrote: »
    I wonder why they went with Roman numerals. There is another company that does that:

Actually every TV-company uses Roman numerals (American and British). You can check end of any TV-show
  • Reply 35 of 80
    asdasd wrote: »
    They go with Roman numerals in OS X, so maybe expect that to be prominent ( or upgrade to XI?)

Last year's invite had a few elements common with this one but they changed the year notation and no Apple logo:

I don't remember the colored squares linking with anything they did last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1934990.stm

"Perhaps one of the most notable areas where people are likely to come across Roman numerals is in TV and film credits, where the convention is not to spell out what year something was made.

It is a convention which has extended even to BBC News Online - witness the MMII at the bottom of this page.

The practice is believed to have started in an attempt to disguise the age of films or television programmes. In other words, the opposite of claiming an undeserved antiquity."

They also mention the association with clocks:

• Reply 36 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

OH FOR THE LOVE OF. image

• Reply 37 of 80
    I would like to add to my reasoning behind my previous comment. The WWDC does look like the screen of a TV. I am pushing towards Apple TV getting updated in a major way and opening the door for apps designed for a TV interface and ecosystem. I think it would be a very clever way to turn the public eye towards Apple TV and the idea of Apple having a HDTV. Tim Cook said not to expect "new" products until the fall. Apple TV is out and an update would fit in with what has been said.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Marvin wrote: »

OH FOR THE LOVE OF. :lol:

Obvious really, I think this invite proves beyond a shadow of doubt they are making an OLED TV that you control with a colored watch. They have enough colors so everyone in the family gets a different colored watch and the TV knows who is who. When you need to program a show, you need to know when it's on so you use the watch. They'll call it iWatchTV.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post

The WWDC does look like the screen of a TV.

From 20 years ago.

• Reply 40 of 80
    From 20 years ago.
    Actually it does look like appleTV itself (current and previous gen)