Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Apple.com has a link for WWDC on the home page.  I don't think they've done this in the past.  Anyway on their site I noticed how nice the design looks and how the apps they feature on iPad and iPhone are so far away from Apple's own design language in iOS.  I have a feeling we will get a nice surprise come WWDC.  Grid of icons probably won't go away but most of the ugly will be banished.

• Reply 62 of 80
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    OMG!

Roman. Numerals.

So obvious. How can everyone not see the obvious. Everyone is in for a big surprise come June 10th.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

This could be one of the hallmark WWDC's ever for Apple!

Be prepared to be absolutely blown away! image

How ya figger? The announcement seems to read:

"The same conference we have every year, covering the same topics we address every year, at the same place we do it every year, at the same time we do it every year!"

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but somehow I've missed whatever you found in that to suggest a "hallmark" event. Dish.

• Reply 64 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Finally an event this year !!! We are 7 months without any event, now it's time for something Big.

Like a new design of MbA maybe with retina or maybe iPhone or iPad or MacPro or super new Mac-books with haswells and 10 h battery life..... Possibilities are endless ! Rumor mill is going to burn hot from this

Jeez, no wonder Wall Street shits its collective pants every time Apple says anything. People let their expectations get completely out of hand, then are disappointed when presented with news that is merely "good" instead of HOLYABRACADBRAMAZING!

It's a Developers' Conference, not a product expo. Settle down, Beavis.

• Reply 65 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    v5v wrote: »
    It's a Developers' Conference, not a product expo.

I seem to recall some HW announcements at most of the developer conferences. That said, if they are demoing both a new OS X and iOS it doesn't seem like there will be much time for any HW.
  • Reply 66 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

So you're saying someone has shared what Apple plans to present? If so, what? Where can we see that information?

If not, the word on the street has about the same weight and value as the word on the forum.

I understand being interested in seeing what new tools are available to app developers, but giddy speculation just creates unrealistic expectations that lead to Apple bashing when they don't materialize.

• Reply 67 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadman View Post

Actually every TV-company uses Roman numerals (American and British). You can check end of any TV-show

Not anymore. In North America we stopped using roman numerals for copyright dates on TV shows decades ago.

• Reply 68 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

OMG!

Roman. Numerals.

So obvious. How can everyone not see the obvious. Everyone is in for a big surprise come June 10th.

• Reply 69 of 80
    Not anymore. In North America we stopped using roman numerals for copyright dates on TV shows decades ago.

More than XXX decades ago?
  • Reply 70 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I seem to recall some HW announcements at most of the developer conferences.

Really? Oh.

Never mind! image

• Reply 71 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

More than XXX decades ago?

No, but somewhere around XXX years ago (about III decades ago).

• Reply 72 of 80
    No, but somewhere around XXX years ago (about III decades ago).

Oops. I screwed that one up, didn't I?
  • Reply 73 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Did developers have previews of iOS and OS X prior to WWDC last year? If WWDC is the first time anyone gets a glimpse of iOS 7 or 10.9 there may not be oom in the keynote for much else. Still I think Apple knows hardware is what gets talked about most so I could see a new MacPro or other Mac refreshes announced at the beginning of the keynote.

I'm kind of hoping Apple does a little leaking to some of their favorite bloggers. Just to get some positive buzz out there.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    The design looks like an iWatch.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Sold out in 3 minutes
  • Reply 76 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

I have sat on the "wall" of discussions amongst Apple's most trusted bloggers at App.net, etc., and have heard the same thing as well.

Personally, I think the logo of the conference is a sign of what to expect. What delicious colours!

• Reply 77 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,408moderator
    Personally, I think the logo of the conference is a sign of what to expect. What delicious colours!

Of course! Neon leather calendars!! They'll use bright colors to distract people from the skeuomorphism.

People will be like 'oh yuck that leath.... ooooh purple'.

An OLED TV is actually a possibility. It's the next revolution in TV and Apple is spending money on it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/02/20/tim-cook-does-not-like-oled-but-spends-money-on-it/

"Recently Apple hired Jueng Jil Lee, an expert in OLED displays. Lee was previously a senior researcher at LG where he worked on a printed AMOLED television."

TVs are fairly badly designed aesthetically. The Apple TV is a decent enough product but 2 million per quarter isn't that great. They can sell 2 million TVs per quarter and make 10x the profit. It's not going to come close to their iOS products in volume but they can get $1b per quarter profit out of it.

Samsung is profiteering on OLED just now, as is Sony. Apple has nothing to lose in that market because they aren't cannibalising their own lower-end products. They have screen lamination tech with anti-glare and with printed OLED, they can make displays razor thin.

It's not entirely suitable for WWDC as it wouldn't create a new gold-rush in app development for a new device but it does offer the possibility to address some latency issues with Airplay. It's also easier to market apps suitable for Airplay. Apple doesn't do much marketing for Apple TV which is understandable as it's low profit but they definitely would market a TV.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. image

I think the logo is a clue related to a future WWDC in the year 2600, because that would be the actual reflection...

• Reply 79 of 80
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Maybe they went with roman numerals because Mac OS X is a roman numeral version number, so maybe it's a clue about iOS integration/merging with OS X?

• Reply 80 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Maybe they went with roman numerals because Mac OS X is a roman numeral version number, so maybe it's a clue about iOS integration/merging with OS X?

Better darn well not be.