Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    mstone wrote: »
    mj1970 wrote: »

Personally, I just wish they'd drop the "X" (and the NFL would do away with the fucking Roman numerals too!)
    Well based on the just released WWDC logo Apple is not bailing on Roman numerals just yet, but I agree with you. I don't particularly like Roman numerals either, especially for a "digital" type business, but X is cool. It is sort of "digital".

OS?

Think of the animated graphic of OSX and iOS morphing into OS?
  • Reply 82 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

MS bloggers and Joy of Tech will snark on the low hanging fruit as usual, and the world moves on.

Apple knew the connotations for calling the iPad the iPad, Steve and co. obviously knew the jokes would come, but knew they would fade too. Even the name iPod was laughed at when it came. The actual animal, the cougar, is a vicious beast. I see no good reason not to call it that. And some of the jokes will generated additional hype/attention too.

• Reply 83 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Pronounce it as the X in xylophone... Xochimilco...

Personally, I like the name Apple OS... or just OS (after all, what other OSes of note are there?)

Unified OS
    Unified System
    US to go with your me.com address.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    gregordgregord Posts: 36member

I am not sure what the big deal is here.

MacOS for Macs

iOS for iDevices.

It is logical and consistent. The thing that is causing a wrinkle is the emphasis on X that has been a part of OS X. If they increment past 10.9, they will probably call it OS 11.1 if it is a new major release, but they will drop the version in the marketing. The X was a big thing since it represented the change from OS9 to the new Unix underpinnings and NeXT work in OS X. Again, people do not really care about OS version numbers.

• Reply 85 of 108
    gregordgregord Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple knew the connotations for calling the iPad the iPad, Steve and co. obviously knew the jokes would come, but knew they would fade too. Even the name iPod was laughed at when it came. The actual animal, the cougar, is a vicious beast. I see no good reason not to call it that. And some of the jokes will generated additional hype/attention too.

The cougar is a vicious beast, but it is a beast that has been used too much in the OS X naming scheme. Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion - all the same species (at least in America). I think it is time to pick a different Species and Genus.

Lynx, Ocelot, Smilodon. I prefer Lynx.

• Reply 86 of 108
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Error in article - Apple did not issue a press release to announce 10.8 last February. It was 2 Februarys ago.
  • Reply 87 of 108
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    boriscleto wrote: »

You don't send an iWork document from Mail...

Actially - I do, and would like to continue to do so. Write an email, then choose my attachments. Because: what if you want to attach a pages AND a numbers document?
  • Reply 88 of 108
    I couldn't care less about the OS X 10.9, but I'm very excited to see iOS 7
  • Reply 89 of 108
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregord View Post

Ocelot or Lynx, perhaps Bobcat. All the commonly known big cats are taken already. Apple might have to abandon the cat naming soon.

• Reply 90 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Can't wait for some more innovation for the trackpad like second screen or software bottoms/functionality.

NO. Why the hell would you want to have to look at your trackpad? Unless you're one of those hunt-and-peck typers...

• Reply 91 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

As far as individual major release naming, I'd love to see Apple move away from the cat naming. Maybe they could do something unique and interesting like colors. Perhaps as something of an homage to their original logo, the next 7 generations of OS X (and iOS) could go something like this:

• iOS Green

• iOS Yellow

• iOS Orange

• iOS Red

• iOS Violet

• iOS Blue

Great idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Windows_8.1_.22Blue.22_update

• Reply 92 of 108

iOS 7 needs a spiffy update, or else I'm jumping ship!  My entire household is filled with Apple products, my friends and family have Apple products, and I've been a hard-core iPhone user since the first iPhone.  But I recently bought a Google Nexus 7, at first just to try out and compare it to my iPad Mini, but now I'm addicted to it.  I'm waiting for HTC One to launch in my country, and most likely I'll probably ditch my iPhone 4S if iOS 7 isn't any good.  Who knows, if iOS and the next iPhone '6' improves by next year, I might come back to Apple.  

• Reply 93 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

iOS 7 needs a spiffy update, or else I'm jumping ship!  My entire household is filled with Apple products, my friends and family have Apple products, and I've been a hard-core iPhone user since the first iPhone.  But I recently bought a Google Nexus 7, at first just to try out and compare it to my iPad Mini, but now I'm addicted to it.  I'm waiting for HTC One to launch in my country, and most likely I'll probably ditch my iPhone 4S if iOS 7 isn't any good.  Who knows, if iOS and the next iPhone '6' improves by next year, I might come back to Apple.  

Blah blah blah blah… 

• Reply 94 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gregord wrote: »
    How would you pronounce xOS? The X in OS X is pronounced 'ten' not 'ex'

In theory you are correct but I'd bet a pound to a penny most people use 'ex' these days.
  • Reply 95 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    psitthipo wrote: »

Does Scamsung provide the text as a copy and paste or do you have to retype it from a print out? ;)
  • Reply 96 of 108
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregord View Post

I am not sure what the big deal is here.

MacOS for Macs

iOS for iDevices.

It is logical and consistent. The thing that is causing a wrinkle is the emphasis on X that has been a part of OS X. If they increment past 10.9, they will probably call it OS 11.1 if it is a new major release, but they will drop the version in the marketing. The X was a big thing since it represented the change from OS9 to the new Unix underpinnings and NeXT work in OS X. Again, people do not really care about OS version numbers.

I disagree.   How do you know if you're supposed to upgrade if you don't know your version number?    How do support people support their Macs if they don't know the version number?    How do applications which only work with certain OS versions inform potential customers whether or not their app will work with their version of the OS?

If the next OS (or the one after or the one after that) is enough of a change, I have no problem with Apple moving from OS X to OS XI.   If they do it for a minor upgrade, they'll get laughed at.   But if they don't do it for a major OS overhaul (which I think Apple needs to do because everything is looking kind of old), they're missing a major marketing opportunity.    The press isn't going to talk much about the Apple OS moving from 10.8 to 10.9 or from 10.9 to 10.10, but they would talk about moving from OS X to OS XI.

I'm in the camp of people who thought that "the new iPad" was a ridiculous name for a product.   What's the next one going to be: "the new, new iPad"?   If I'm an average consumer and I don't follow Apple every day, how do I know if there's a newer model than the one I already own?   If each new model is "the new iPad", then I may think I already have the latest model and won't even think about upgrading.  

• Reply 97 of 108
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

[...] As far as individual major release naming, I'd love to see Apple move away from the cat naming. Maybe they could do something unique and interesting like colors.

I realize this makes me a fuddy-duddy, but I can't stand using names instead of numbers. I can't remember the order in which they were released, so when someone says "Im using Panther" I have no idea where that fits into the evolution timeline.

What's wrong with 10.8.3?

• Reply 98 of 108
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everything they do in this area will be a repeat.  

They've already done Puma, Jaguar, and Mountain Lion which are all the same animal.  

Sorry, a Jaguar is not the same as puma/mountain lion/painter/catamount. It's quite a bit bigger, for starters.

• Reply 99 of 108
    macapfel wrote: »
    Yeah - I completely agree. I'm really curious if they start making serious UI changes. Another thing might be a much more rigorous iCloud integration - and correct the incomprehensible iWork iCloud integration.
    Icloud is integrated.
    It was a joke years ago, but I'm in favor of Sabertooth.

Because then when OS XI is released in… oh… fall 2015 (phew, that's early!), they can lampshade the name themselves and say "OS X has served us very well, but it's getting a little long in the tooth."
    I wonder how both OS XI devices well work side by side in 2017(or 2018 if delayed) what do you expect.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    psitthipo wrote: »

Sorry... bad trolling!

I have the Nexus 7 (JB 4.2.2) sitting right here on my desk next to an iPad Mini and iPad 2, among different versions of iPhones.

Slowest and most laggy devices in the bunch: Nexus 7 and admittedly, a 3GS with 6.1.3. The Nexus 7 is not even close to the smoothness... nor user "perceptible" speed of an iPad 2, let alone the iPad Mini.

Go back to your N7 and stay there if you can't see the difference.