Apple's R&D expenses surge 33%, on pace to top $4 billion this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You just exemplified the old saying ... 'Quality counts more than quantity' .... beautifully. image

Please explain.

In any case, I am glad Apple management realized that they need to spend more on R&D in order to keep up with their competitors.

• Reply 42 of 74
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And if Samsung hadn't literally spent double last year on R&D what Apple is bragging about spending this year, your clever quip might mean something.

What Samsung calls Research and Development is actually Reverse Engineering and Copying. : ) 

• Reply 43 of 74
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleWill View Post

Please explain.

In any case, I am glad Apple management realized that they need to spend more on R&D in order to keep up with their competitors.

I think what he's saying is that the amount spend doesn't matter nearly as much as what you spend it on.

Apple spends much less on R&D than most, and yet makes more money than most.

I think I'd rather see focussed spending instead of the 'throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks' approach.

• Reply 44 of 74
    Oh look, another new useless troll. Even puts Apple in his name.

Hey light bulb, you ever stop to think how many products Samsung makes before comparing their R&D spending to Apple? Laptops, desktops, dumb phones, feature phones, smartphones, tablets, music players, home stereo, TV's, digital cameras, camcorders, computer monitors, hard drives, refrigerators and other kitchen appliances (including the sink).......then we have their raw components like processors, RAM, flash and LCD panels.....then add in their telecommunications and cellular equipment. Suddenly their R&D doesn't look that impressive.

Another metric is R&D as a % of sales and trying to imply a higher figure is better. It's actually the opposite. Every R&D dollar Apple spends generated MORE revenue than their competitors. This makes Apples R&D as a % of revenue look very small, which only proves they are getting the biggest bang for the buck.

AppleWill, you sure you didn't post as tooltalk before?
  • Reply 45 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Guys come on! It takes a lot of funding for Apple to come up with recent breakthrough innovations such as a bigger megapixel camera and a rotation lock button that's in a NEW place.

It's cute that you actually believe this.

For my definition of 'cute' in this regard, please see the hindquarters of your nearest animal.

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

AppleWill, you sure you didn't post as tooltalk before?

AppleWill, formerly OpticWhite, LGPrada, AppleIII, neobiani, oolong, NUEST, SuperJunior, TwoPM, KoreaFighting, SuJu, SteffenJobs, and hill6O.

In the last one, that's "O" as in the letter, as in "Oops, I'm a completely useless, pathetic troll who is apparently subsapient and therefore can't take a hint. Also, I try to impersonate real people."

I find it funny that there are human beings out there this disgustingly psychotic. I have to, otherwise I'd find it depressing.

But not tooltalk.

• Reply 46 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 47 of 74

What is going on here? 

Why was I banned?! 

It is simply not acceptable to ban someone simply for having a different perspective?

Would to person who banned me, inform me why? What rule did I violate?

Who is the administrator of this board? 

• Reply 48 of 74

What is going on here? 

Why was I banned?! 

It is simply not acceptable to ban someone simply for having a different perspective?

Would to person who banned me, inform me why? What rule did I violate?

Who is the administrator of this board? 

• Reply 49 of 74
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

????????

• Reply 50 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 51 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Good, hope we see Ive's fruits soon.

This is actually an exciting time for Apple due to the significant personnel changes and reassignments that Cook has made in the last 6 months or so.  I agree with the Ive comment.  We could be entering the Golden Era of Ive at Apple.  

• Reply 52 of 74
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And if Samsung hadn't literally spent double last year on R&D what Apple is bragging about spending this year, your clever quip might mean something.

And yet, even having spent twice as much…

• Reply 53 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

????????

ooh, I think you meant to post to the Samsung forums...

• Reply 54 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

???.

aah! It's an ??? invasion!! 

• Reply 55 of 74
    rosujinrosujin Posts: 42member
    Part of me wishes Apple would buy back all if its stock and go private. That way the company would not be beholden to investors looking for short-term gains and scrutinizing R&D costs without understanding the big picture.

Apple makes GREAT PRODUCTS! They don't make value-priced products. They don't necessarily have to compete at every price point or product category. Their development timelines and product cycles may not line up evenly with Christmas and Back To School. Innovation can take a lot of time and money.

I want Apple to keep making awesome products with no cost or quality compromises. They are perfectly-focused on what is most important, but they can't be everything for everyone.

If you think iPhones are too small, buy a Galaxy. If the MacBook Pro is too pricy, buy an HP laptop. If you want the best producs available, buy Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But not tooltalk.

I never actually believes tooltalk had another user name. Just making fun of the fact that he brought up the same useless arguments about Samsung R&D spending and R&D as a % of revenue that tool did.

• Reply 57 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rosujin wrote: »
    Part of me wishes Apple would buy back all if its stock and go private.

If they could afford it all of me wishes they would do that.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

Part of me wishes Apple would buy back all if its stock and go private. 

I so wish that were possible.  Normally companies issue stock to raise capital.  Apple doesn't need capital and thus doesn't need stock.  Too bad they are giving so much of that $145 billion cash pile back to the shareholders who do nothing but make trouble and try to knock Apple off their chosen path.

• Reply 59 of 74
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

And yet, even having spent twice as much…

Even having spent twice as much, they increased their market share in smartphones, and are making kickass SSDs, washing machines, and other goodies (I am guessing the amount of money they spend on smartphone specific R&D is much smaller than Apple's.

• Reply 60 of 74
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

And that's proof of how stupid they are.

There's 0 innovation from those sides, only small experiments. Apple is the one that outmuscles industries and pushes their way forward.

There is 0 innovation from Google? Man, they must have wicked good acid in Portugal.