Apple's R&D expenses surge 33%, on pace to top $4 billion this year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I so wish that were possible.  Normally companies issue stock to raise capital.  Apple doesn't need capital and thus doesn't need stock.  Too bad they are giving so much of that $145 billion cash pile back to the shareholders who do nothing but make trouble and try to knock Apple off their chosen path.

The dividend does not reduce the present cash pile.

• Reply 62 of 74

This makes me really happy! When people talk about what Apple should do with its cash, I immediately say, "Spend it on R&D!"  This gives me hope that Apple will be popping out the next big thing a few more times!

Comparing Samsung's R&D budget to Apple's is invalid.  Besides carbon copies of Apple products, Samsung makes a slew of crappy consumer goods.  They spend a fortune of figuring how to make things that survive their warranty periods and immediately die thereafter.

• Reply 63 of 74
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

This makes me really happy! When people talk about what Apple should do with its cash, I immediately say, "Spend it on R&D!"  This gives me hope that Apple will be popping out the next big thing a few more times!

Comparing Samsung's R&D budget to Apple's is invalid.  Besides carbon copies of Apple products, Samsung makes a slew of crappy consumer goods.  They spend a fortune of figuring how to make things that survive their warranty periods and immediately die thereafter.

You make yourself look bad by gratuitously badmouthing Samsung: they make some excellent consumer goods, and their electronics fab technology is probably the best in the world. You don't like their phones -- don't buy them.

• Reply 64 of 74
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I so wish that were possible.  Normally companies issue stock to raise capital.  Apple doesn't need capital and thus doesn't need stock.  Too bad they are giving so much of that $145 billion cash pile back to the shareholders who do nothing but make trouble and try to knock Apple off their chosen path.

The shareholders own that cash pile, along with all the rest of Apple.  The shareholders can do whatever they like with the cash pile.

• Reply 65 of 74
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    igriv wrote: »
    You make yourself look bad by gratuitously badmouthing Samsung: they make some excellent consumer goods, and their electronics fab technology is probably the best in the world. You don't like their phones -- don't buy them.

Who would argue with that? Their washing machines are great and I personally own a washer and a drier. It's just too bad their cell phones are designed by the same people that make washing machines.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    cash907 wrote: »
    And if Samsung hadn't literally spent double last year on R&D what Apple is bragging about spending this year, your clever quip might mean something.
    Samsung spends billions on washers and toaster R&D. Samsung does not spend billions on the things they steal...
  • Reply 67 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    cash907 wrote: »
    And if Samsung hadn't literally spent double last year on R&D what Apple is bragging about spending this year, your clever quip might mean something.

Darn... Hmmm.. You're absolutely right. My little "quip" failed to mention that Samsung classifies attorney fees as part of their R&D. /s

Samsung's own papers handed to the courts admitted they tried copying Apple in every way, and you're having a hissy-fit that my remark - humorous as it is - may actually have some truth to it.

Aren't there any Samsung fanboy forums you can frolic in?
  • Reply 68 of 74
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Samsung's own papers handed to the courts admitted they tried copying Apple in every way, ...

If you're talking about the UI comparison paper, then no, it was almost entirely about finding ways to be better without copying.  

Instead of simply repeating what click-bait headlines had said, I went through it to see what actually got implemented.

Out of the 126 items brought up, only 10 were implemented in what could be called a "copy"... and even some of those were more like choices, not rip-offs of some new idea. (E,g, switching the recorder image from a reel-to-reel to a microphone... something that WinMo apps had done even before Apple).

Now, the look of their app list page with color shaded rounded backgrounds behind the icons... THAT was a choice that didn't have to happen, and they deserve to be slammed for it.  Even the UI comparison paper urged that it be changed to look less like Apple's homepages.  Samsung failed to take its own (and Google's) advice in that case.

• Reply 69 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Microsoft spent $9 billion and the end result is Windows 8/Metro?

I believe 6B went to W8, so yeah, money doesn't change anything.
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">If you're talking about the UI comparison paper, then no, it was almost entirely about finding ways to be better</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.231;">without</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">copying.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Instead of simply repeating what click-bait headlines had said, I went through it to see what actually got implemented.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Out of the 126 items brought up, only 10 were implemented in what could be called a "copy"... and even some of those were more like choices, not rip-offs of some new idea. (E,g, switching the recorder image from a reel-to-reel to a microphone... something that WinMo apps had done even before Apple).</span>

Now, the look of their app list page with color shaded rounded backgrounds behind the icons... THAT was a choice that didn't have to happen, and they deserve to be slammed for it.  Even the UI comparison paper urged that it be changed to look less like Apple's homepages.  Samsung failed to take its own (and Google's) advice in that case.

I can only command you on finding the time to do this search analisys and post back your findings. Perhaps you're retired, and have time on your hands. I'm not, andcan only ind the time to post, instead of doing a çounter-search'. Please, take this lightly; I'm simply in a great mood today.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I can only commend you on finding the time to do this search analisys and post back your findings. Perhaps you're retired, and have time on your hands. I'm not, andcan only ind the time to post, instead of doing a çounter-search'. Please, take this lightly; I'm simply in a great mood today.

I think I did the research while recovering from a hospital stay.  Anything to keep my mind off the pain.

Anyway, I'm glad you're in a good mood.  Good for you!  It's a key to longevity.

Cheers!

• Reply 71 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

Who would argue with that? Their washing machines are great and I personally own a washer and a drier. It's just too bad their cell phones are designed by the same people that make washing machines.

My Samsung washing machine lasted less than 3 years, after two $150 service calls resulting in a quote for another $240, I bought a new Electrolux instead and dumped the piece of sh*t.

It had Ag+ Nanowash whatever the f*ck that is, Samsung R&D at work, I wish I'd kept that machine instead of dumping it so I could drag it into the Samsung Experience store in Sydney just for the sh*ts and giggles.

DVD drives that failed, a refrigerator that stopped working, Samsung seem to be the kings of planned obsolescence.

• Reply 72 of 74
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I only like Samsung for memory. Other than that, I would not be keen on relying on them for a household appliance.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.231;">I think I did the research while recovering from a hospital stay.  Anything to keep my mind off the pain.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Anyway, I'm glad you're in a good mood.  Good for you!  It's a key to longevity.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Cheers!</span>

Ooh! Certainly hope you have recovered and are out of pain now! If not; get well soon!
  • Reply 74 of 74
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Microsoft spent $9 billion and the end result is Windows 8/Metro?

I am still chuckling over this and I read it nearly an hour ago. :)