Apple reportedly offering WWDC tickets to select developers after quick sell-out

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    It is nice but seems it good be betterly integrated.

Definitely.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Time to split iOS and Mac OS into two separate events.

No, it isn't.

What do you think all that "Back to the Mac" was about? It wasn't about merging the OSs, but various things Apple learned from iOS were incorporated into Mountain Lion. A good and coordinated user experience in both OSs is very important for Apple to maintain, so there needs to continue to be close coordination between the two OSs, and developers from each/both need to be involved. As much of a desire there is for developers to attend, as evidenced by the rapid ticket sell-outs year after year, this is also a major logistical expense for Apple, too.

• Reply 23 of 50
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Could iOS & MAC OS ever be 1 and the same?

MS tried that with Windoze 8. Look how that's working out!

There are many distinct and extensive differences between the two OSs and how apps are designed, built, and run in each.

• Reply 24 of 50
    vlad1kvlad1k Posts: 11member

Is it just me or does anyone else see a kind of old tv set screen in this logo?:)

Apple TV apps?

• Reply 25 of 50
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    vlad1k wrote: »

I sure hope there are is an Apple TV SDK and app store coming this year but I wouldn't read into that. One can just as easily point out that the rounded cornered rectangles have 1) been used extensively by apple, 2) that the TV shape is 4:3 or 16:9 not 1:1, and 3) that the shape has more in common with app icons on iOS between they fairly equal length sides.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wonder what Scott Forstall thinks of WWDC selling out in 2 minutes? image

Why care? Who in the public really knows why Apple got rid of the guy, but his long history with first NeXt, and then with Apple who was respected by Jobs should be held in proper regard. The change might be exciting, but his past contributions as an original creator of OSX and champion for a smaller iPad should remembered.

• Reply 27 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    vlad1k wrote: »
    Apple TV apps?
    I like that interpretation. But I can't get away from this being about the coming together of IOS / OSX and importantly iCloud. Confluence, not to be confused with merging. With services increasingly moving to the cloud, the seemingly massive expansion of Apple's server farms, and aps increasingly becoming a multi device deal, the logo suggests to me it's more about apps working as one across devices irrespective of os than about one or the other os.
  • Reply 28 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

They're not reaching out to "select developers". A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.

That actually makes sense.  That's exactly what happened to me, and when I tried to follow-up, I couldn't because it was sold out.  I got a call at about 6pm this evening from Apple Developer Services asking if I still wanted to attend.  They're sending me registration completion information tomorrow.

I was wondering what happened.  Now it is becoming clear.

And to the person who says it worked because they sold out:  I'm wondering if the incomplete transactions were included in the count, even though they shouldn't have been.  Apple could have a) voided the transactions completely, forcing them to put the registrations back up for sale, which would have caused a public relations gaffe; b) sent them down the memory hole, thus leaving some tickets unsold but unavailable; or c) contacted those of us who got caught in whatever the snafu was, and offer a chance to complete the transaction.

Looks like option c) was their choice.  It makes sense from a public relations stand-point.  And I'm happy, to boot!

• Reply 29 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think they should go even further. Not just contact people who's transactions errored, but make sure all the major Apple developers who want tickets get them.

We all know what the significant apps are on the Mac and iDevices. Actually ring them up and offer them tickets. It's supposed to be for the developers and I wonder how many people who got tickets were just media or fans.

Because really, having all the top developers in one place, bouncing ideas off each other and off Apple, is important for the platform.

• Reply 30 of 50
    Has anyone actually received their email yet? On the phone the person that contacted me only mentioned that I would have 12 hours to complete the purchase, but didn't tell me when the email would arrive. Other sites talking about this topic mentioned that we would receive one within 12 hours but I think that was just miscommunication.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ascii wrote: »
    I think they should go even further. Not just contact people who's transactions errored, but make sure all the major Apple developers who want tickets get them.

We all know what the significant apps are on the Mac and iDevices. Actually ring them up and offer them tickets. It's supposed to be for the developers and I wonder how many people who got tickets were just media or fans.

Because really, having all the top developers in one place, bouncing ideas off each other and off Apple, is important for the platform.
    I thought you had to have a paid developer account before tickets went on sale in order to get them? The media doesn't have to buy these tickets to get access to the keynote (which is all they care about). I kind of doubt just general fans have a developer account and are coughing up $1600 to attend this.

But maybe Apple needs to reserve some tickets for top developers and have the first come first serve for everyone else? People are complaining about them pre-announcing. But last year was worse. When tickets went on sale most people on west coast or overseas were probably sleeping.
  • Reply 32 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How did the system fail? The system worked perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't have been sold out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Maybe his system failed?

The failure of their registration website did not mean everyone didn't succeed in completing their transaction. It clearly failed for some people and therefore clearly didn't work perfectly. But I get the feeling you are jumping on me based on some kind of defensive reflect around here. I am not interested in whatever fights you folks seem to enjoy. Please leave me out of this.

• Reply 33 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Please leave me out of this.

Then don't stoop to sensationalism.

• Reply 34 of 50
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennystl View Post

Has anyone actually received their email yet? On the phone the person that contacted me only mentioned that I would have 12 hours to complete the purchase, but didn't tell me when the email would arrive. Other sites talking about this topic mentioned that we would receive one within 12 hours but I think that was just miscommunication.

Yeah, the call I received was pretty brief and a bit confusing.  I thought they said that they'd be sending me the information on how to purchase within 12 hours, but it could be that I have 12 hours from the time they contact me to complete the purchase, because I haven't received an email or phone call yet.

• Reply 35 of 50
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought you had to have a paid developer account before tickets went on sale in order to get them? The media doesn't have to buy these tickets to get access to the keynote (which is all they care about).

Wouldn't surprise me at all if some media sources are willing to shell out $1600 to have eyes and ears around Apple engineers all week in the hopes of getting some inside information.

• Reply 36 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Yeah, the call I received was pretty brief and a bit confusing.  I thought they said that they'd be sending me the information on how to purchase within 12 hours, but it could be that I have 12 hours from the time they contact me to complete the purchase, because I haven't received an email or phone call yet.

Well that makes me feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one.  I have been monitoring my developer account for more info but still nothing, it's been well over 12 hours since the call.  Hopefully they are just trying to get through all the calls and then send out the info, otherwise I may try calling the number that they called me from at some point later today.  Hopefully this wasn't another system error.

• Reply 37 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennystl View Post

Well that makes me feel a little bit better that I'm not the only one.  I have been monitoring my developer account for more info but still nothing, it's been well over 12 hours since the call.  Hopefully they are just trying to get through all the calls and then send out the info, otherwise I may try calling the number that they called me from at some point later today.  Hopefully this wasn't another system error.

I haven't heard anything either.  Not sure what to think.

• Reply 38 of 50
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rhyde wrote: »
    Time to split iOS and Mac OS into two separate events.

With Apple moving towards more integration between the to and many folks writing for both, I don't see this happening
  • Reply 39 of 50
    astrosmash wrote: »
    They're not reaching out to "select developers".

Ummm yes they are.

A number of people's purchases failed with an error message on the last step of the transaction, after they had added the ticket to their cart and entered their payment info. Apple's contacting those people and allowing them to complete the purchase.

That's how they are selecting them.

But I get your point. The wording makes it sound like they are playing favs in top of the 5k that was available.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    OS X and iOS are by design intended for different target platforms. Stop dreaming about a merging of the two. They were designed, from the get go, to split above the kernel.

That last bit suggests that they are actually the same already. The only thing 'above the kernel' is UI, a few select drivers etc.

So why couldn't they be merged even more in terms of cx interaction paradigms. So long as they don't pull a Windows 8 and try to shoehorn mouse features on the tablet and vice versa. Or remove the Finder etc options from the desktop.