Loyalty to Apple driving iPhone market share gains vs. Android - survey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    It's a propaganda war.. Samsung is not afraid to get dirty ... I've seen such drastic numbers from IDC .. some of them conflict each other.. It's like they just pull it out of the air to have something to say and stay in the limelight..
  • Reply 22 of 63
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member
    Unfortunately, I think this momentum is going to be short lived. Apple is not keeping up with the market they essentially created. They no longer have the agility to respond quickly market changes. It's going to be summer 2014 before we see a larger screen size. Apple may be increasing market share (mass market...lower margin), but they are losing the cutting edge battle.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Unfortunately, I think this momentum is going to be short lived. Apple is not keeping up with the market they essentially created. They no longer have the agility to respond quickly market changes. It's going to be summer 2014 before we see a larger screen size. Apple may be increasing market share (mass market...lower margin), but they are losing the cutting edge battle.

I'm still not sure why the group that does the _least_ with their phones thinks that screen-size is the cutting-edge value...

• Reply 24 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boredumb wrote: »
    I'm still not sure why the group that does the _least_ with their phones thinks that screen-size is the cutting-edge value...

Says who?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    boredumb wrote: »

Says who?

Says all kinds of data on web usage, ad impressions, app sales, media sales, e-commerce,.... I might be missing a few.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    sockrolid wrote: »
     Amazon has done all that (except for the sleek hardware and smooth OS experience.)  Samsung is still working on their
    Samsung Hub to replace the Google Play ecosystem.  Good luck with that.

Have you spent any real time with the new Kindle Fire? My sister bought 2 against my advice, and they're pretty damn nice. The hardware is more than decent and the software is not clunky at all.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This means that Apple can expect loyal customers in the rest of the world when it makes phones for them. Go Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Says all kinds of data on web usage, ad impressions, app sales, media sales, e-commerce,.... I might be missing a few.

Last I checked internet usage between the iPhone 5 and SGS 3 was almost 50/50.

• Reply 29 of 63
    This data is a prediction of future purchases in the US only. The IDC data is the actual market share of phones for this quarter worldwide.

The top end smartphone market - like the PC market - is saturated. The medium and low end is where the growth is.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    asdasd wrote: »
    This data is a prediction of future purchases in the US only. The IDC data is the actual market share of phones for this quarter.

The top end smartphone market - like the PC market - is saturated. The medium and low end is where the growth is.

While that may be true smartphones get replaced much more frequently than computers do.
  • Reply 31 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The IDC data is the actual market share of phones for this quarter worldwide.

No, it's not.

• Reply 32 of 63
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    While that may be true smartphones get replaced much more frequently than computers do.

Yes and software lockin is non existent. My point is that Apple can take - and keep share - in the medium to lower medium end market, and hold it. But they need a cheaper phone.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    No, it's not.

Because you don't like it. Their methodology is accepted by Apple who reference them in conference calls - where favourable.
  • Reply 34 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Last I checked internet usage between the iPhone 5 and SGS 3 was almost 50/50.

Nonsense. You pulled out one narrow one where it comes close, just comparing two specific models (even there, the iPhone has a larger share).

Try just a few of the more general ones out there:

http://adage.com/article/digital/iphone-owners-consume-entertainment-android/240527/

http://cdn.mactrast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mobile_tablet_webshare_2013-02-01-at-2-56-09-am.jpg

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/02/report-androids-web-share-down-13-since-november-apples-share-is-up-1/

http://www.velti.com/press_release/dec-20-12.php

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/18/apples-ios-beating-googles-android-in-mobile-ads-with-75-spend-share

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/dec/04/ios-android-revenues-downloads-country

I could go on and on....

• Reply 35 of 63

Quote:

Because you don't like it. Their methodology is accepted by Apple who reference them in conference calls - where favourable.

This was just discussed ad nauseam in the article that specifically referenced the IDC data. Go there and read it if you wish. 

• Reply 36 of 63

The Yankee Group has the right idea - but is off by at least one year.  iOS may even catch Android this year but definitely by the end of 1st quarter 2014.  Averaging over a year - Android started later than iOS but grew rapidly past iOS and peaked in Jan-Feb 2012 with new subscriber growth and has been slowing ever since.  Apple's growth has been slow and steady.  Therefore, more Android users are coming to their end of contract each month compared to iOS users.  At the rate of the last 3 months, iOS would catch Android by the end of the calendar year.  For those who think this is just because of the iPhone 5, iPhone growth was faster 7-12 months after the 4s was released than the first 6 months after 4s was released.  T-mobile advertised iPhone was coming before Christmas to prevent their users from jumping ship.  Sprint LTE is slowly being built out.  These things point to accelerated gains by iOS relative to Android.

• Reply 37 of 63
    macgurumacguru Posts: 35member
    Digital Clips,
    how about "Once You iOS, You Never Digress."

"We need the equivelent to 'Once you go Mac you nerver go back' for iOS devices but for the life of me I am stumped to think of one ... "
  • Reply 38 of 63
    This was just discussed ad nauseam in the article that specifically referenced the IDC data. Go there and read it if you wish. 

I was in there. I in fact started that side discussion. Once again - IDC are considered to use correct methodology when estimating existing market share. I said Apple referenced them. You said that "meant nothing" there - as you do here. That's not an argument, there or here.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    In fact Peter Openheimer referenced IDC in this last conference call, saying Apple declined less than the PC market in unit sales so it increased share.

[I]During a conference call, CFO Peter Oppenheimer told financials analysts that IDC had pegged the PC market decline 14 percent during the same period[/I]

From

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2013/04/23/apple-defies-speculation-reports-quarterly-records/
  • Reply 40 of 63

Quote:

In fact Peter Openheimer referenced IDC in this last conference call, saying Apple declined less than the PC market in unit sales so it increased share.

During a conference call, CFO Peter Oppenheimer told financials analysts that IDC had pegged the PC market decline 14 percent during the same period

From

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2013/04/23/apple-defies-speculation-reports-quarterly-records/

The fact that Oppenheimer referenced them means zip. Zilch. Zero. Their methodology makes no sense whatsoever.

You need to look up the meaning of "actual" (which is what I was responding to in your post in this thread).

If we're in the world of estimates, there's a lot of other data -- and collateral evidence -- that contradicts IDC's numbers. I asked you guys a simple set of questions about IDC's "methodology" and none of you were able to answer that. That still stands.