Loyalty to Apple driving iPhone market share gains vs. Android - survey

Comments

• Reply 42 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Gi
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Even one of your links supports my statement.
    Give it a rest. No one but Apple releases actual numbers. IDC guesses.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    "It makes an awful first impression, slippery and slimy and simply unpleasant... "

I originally thought he was referring to Samsung rather than the phone.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    winnie wrote: »
    I was an Android user for 3 years and only switched to the iPhone 5 last November.

I just went through my contact book on my iPhone to do my own survey. Out of 135 contacts, 120 are iPhone users and 14 are Android and 1 Blackberry.

Of the people I come into contact with, I have never heard of one complaint about their iPhone. Son are still using iPhone 3, 4, 4s and 5.

I am still amazed of how efficient and easy ALL MY contacts, mail, calendar, shared calendars, music, books, notes, reminders, and apps all just sync beautifully between all my devices.

This is why I, frankly, have a difficult time believing that anyone actually knowingly prefers Google Android or switches from Apple iOS to Google Android. The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers although an argument could be made that the Apple iPhone is a better smartphone for people who like to tinker as well.

As far as I am concerned, the only Android smartphones that even near rivaling the iPhone are "vanilla" Android from HTC.
  • Reply 45 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even one of your links supports my statement.

In what bizarro world?image

OK... time to move along....

• Reply 46 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers ....

....and, in all fairness, people in countries like India and China where Apple is really not fully or readily available yet on all carriers.

• Reply 47 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In what bizarro world?:lol:

Try reading the links that you provide. Go on the velti.com link and read.
    Athough the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released at the end of May 2012, the iPhone 5, released in mid-September 2012, has already caught up to the Samsung Galaxy S3 in impression share. The iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 each held 50 percent of impression share,respectively, by the end of November

That's from YOUR bizarro world.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    This is why I, frankly, have a difficult time believing that anyone actually knowingly prefers Google Android or switches from Apple iOS to Google Android. The sole exceptions are Google employees (and their family members) as well as those with nervous ticks and tinkerers although an argument could be made that the Apple iPhone is a better smartphone for people who like to tinker as well.

As far as I am concerned, the only Android smartphones that even near rivaling the iPhone are "vanilla" Android from HTC.

There aren't any 'vanilla' Android phones made by HTC. Come back when you actually know something about Android, not what you've heard.
  • Reply 49 of 63

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In what bizarro world?image

Try reading the links that you provide. Go on the velti.com link and read.

Quote:

Athough the Samsung Galaxy S3 was released at the end of May 2012, the iPhone 5, released in mid-September 2012, has already caught up to the Samsung Galaxy S3 in impression share. The iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3 each held 50 percent of impression share,respectively, by the end of November

That's from YOUR bizarro world.

Um.... you're repeating yourself. It's the same data you put out earlier, for one phone against another one phone. "iPhones" and "Android" mean something else altogether.

Ugh. Back full circle.

• Reply 50 of 63
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Last I checked internet usage between the iPhone 5 and SGS 3 was almost 50/50.

Yes, weighing a phone model that had been available for 5 months against one that had been out for 9 months (as of February when those stats were measured) is a totally valid comparison.

• Reply 51 of 63
    woochifer wrote: »
    Yes, weighing a phone model that had been available for 5 months against one that had been out for 9 months (as of February when those stats were measured) is a totally valid comparison.

Sure it is. Using your logic we shouldn't compare iOS to Android ever because it's more than a year older.
  • Reply 52 of 63

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Sure it is. Using your logic we shouldn't compare iOS to Android ever because it's more than a year older.

"Logic" is not a word that I would associate with your posts.image

• Reply 53 of 63
    Um.... you're repeating yourself. It's the same data you put out earlier, for one phone against another one phone. "iPhones" and "Android" mean something else altogether.

Ugh. Back full circle.

Large screens was being discussed when you decided to chime in. Leading the charge with big screens is Samsung. I haven't seen any data on the Note 2 usage so I used data for the SGS 3. iOS beats out Android on web usage because there are many more devices in use. While Android tablets have gotten better they still lack the quality apps the iPad has, so tablet usage will fall in favor of the iPad.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudit View Post

Unfortunately, I think this momentum is going to be short lived. Apple is not keeping up with the market they essentially created. They no longer have the agility to respond quickly market changes. It's going to be summer 2014 before we see a larger screen size. Apple may be increasing market share (mass market...lower margin), but they are losing the cutting edge battle.

What percentage of Android phone sales are a "larger screen size" that guys like you are endlessly harping on about?

The reality is it's not likely to be more than 10-15%.

Making a screen size of 4" or less the most popular, borne out by the top selling smartphone models on sale today having 3.5 and 4" screens, i.e. iPhones.

• Reply 55 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes and software lockin is non existent. My point is that Apple can take - and keep share - in the medium to lower medium end market, and hold it. But they need a cheaper phone.

Except Apple aren't in the market of sub $200 outright smartphones, like a lot of Android manufacturers are.

• Reply 56 of 63
    hill60 wrote: »
    What percentage of Android phone sales are a "larger screen size" that guys like you are endlessly harping on about?

The reality is it's not likely to be more than 10-15%.

Making a screen size of 4" or less the most popular, borne out by the top selling smartphone models on sale today having 3.5 and 4" screens, i.e. iPhones.

Which I'd say is true if people were choosing the iPhone solely on screen size.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Regardless of its source, or what others are saying, the phenomenon described here, in the US at least, is very real.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am questioning how you can make that assertion when data from behaviour- and purchase-tracking experts mostly indicate otherwise, and even they, with all their resources, can not reach consensus on percentage of marketshare, use patterns or buyer intentions.

• Reply 58 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I'm still not sure why the group that does the _least_ with their phones thinks that screen-size is the cutting-edge value...

Huh? What are you talking about? I use my iPhone for everything short of peeing, and I want a bigger screen. So do lots of others like me.

If you mean only Android users want a larger screen you're wrong, but they WOULD be the only ones who can actually GET one.

• Reply 59 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Says all kinds of data on web usage, ad impressions, app sales, media sales, e-commerce,.... I might be missing a few.

So now we make no distinction between those who bought an Android device and those who want a bigger screen? WTF? That makes no sense whatsoever. I have an iPhone and use it extensively, but WISH it had a bigger screen. Wanna tell me how the heck you found a usage metric that tracks that?

It should also be obvious that the areas you mention apply to ALL Android devices, with no distinction made regarding screen size. For all you, I or anyone else knows, the owners of the larger-screen phones may be the most active users.

• Reply 60 of 63

Quote:

Which I'd say is true if people were choosing the iPhone solely on screen size.

...as opposed to IN SPITE of the screen size, like in my case. Although I bought an iPhone, I really really really really would have a liked a larger screen.