Apple sends informational mailer to neighbors of forthcoming Campus 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of Apple's filing of its most up-to-date Campus 2 build plans, the company has once again sent out mailers to neighbors in the surrounding Cupertino area, updating them with the latest news and asking for input regarding the mammoth project.

Signed by Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer, the mailer gives a brief overview of Apple's project, including highlights regarding Campus 2's environmentally green initiatives like solar panels and fuel cells, reports MacRumors. Also discussed are the various improvements to city landscaping and roadwork Apple intends to help fund as part of the construction process.

Mailer
Source: MacRumors

In addition, the note asks the community for any questions and concerns regarding the project, which is scheduled to continue construction into 2016. Apple sent out a similar mailer in May of 2012.

The letter in full:
Dear Neighbor,

We'd like to update you on the progress of Apple Campus 2. This campus will be a new home for our company and more than 13,000 locally based on employees. It also represents our continued long-term investment in the local community.

At Apple, the environment is a top priority, and we've designed Apple Campus 2 with cutting-edge features to make it energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable. Several of these green technologies are highlighted in this update.

As at our existing campus on Infinite Loop, we are committed to 100% renewable energy to power Apple Campus 2. This will include onsite generation from photovoltaics and fuel cells. As part of this effort, approximately 8 megawatts of photovoltaics will be installed, creating one the largest installations of its kind on a corporate campus anywhere in the world.

Apple started in Cupertino, and we are excited to continue to grow here. As we build the new campus, we also plan to invest in new roadways and intersection improvements, add new sidewalks and better bike lanes, and plant new trees in newly created medians in the surrounding neighborhood.

We have approached our new campus project with the same care and attention to detail that we give every Apple product, and we value your input. If you have questions or comments or would like more information about Apple Campus 2, please fill out and return the postage-paid response card included in this mailing. We also encourage you to visit the City of Cupertino's website at www.cupertino.org to learn more about our plans.
Apple submitted revised plans for its "spaceship" campus on Wednesday, outlining a few new additions to the build, including perimeter pedestrian walkways and a bike path. Friday's letter included a sampling of artistic Campus 2 renderings originally attached to the prospectus submitted to the city.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a form of advertising... to their own neighbours.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That center Apple logo is a direct descendent of NeXT Campus where you walk into building one and with those exceedingly 1/32" closely spaced floors, italian sofas a sea of minimalism turns one's focus to a glowing NeXT Logo behind the receptionist who at that time had a NeXT Turbo Color pizza box.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

For those who would like a slightly larger, more readable version:

• Reply 4 of 55
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    ascii wrote: »

No, it is called being polite thereby not pissing off its neighbors and customers who are going to have to put up with the construction. This likely will help with people complaining, and it is a very cool gesture. Many businesses move into neighborhoods without similar communications.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Everything sucks, everything is crap, nothing is worth the price, every action has an ulterior motive, the whole world sucks. Is it any wonder why our culture is what it is these days?

• Reply 6 of 55
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Everything sucks, everything is crap, nothing is worth the price, every action has an ulterior motive, the whole world sucks. Is it any wonder why our culture is what it is these days?

Advertising doesn't have a negative connotation for me, I was just making an identification.

• Reply 7 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

• Reply 8 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ascii wrote: »
    Advertising doesn't have a negative connotation for me, I was just making an identification.

And such a brilliant one at that. /s
  • Reply 9 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    That project is such a waste of money. Sure, it will be beautiful once completed, but why round? It is just an office building. You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost. I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

If the goal is to just build a structure to code that can support x-many people then pretty much every structure is spending too much. Has there ever been a corporate HQ that wasn't designed to stimulate the employee or visitor in some fashion? We know Apple is an "experience" company so why should we expect anything less from a new HQ that is releasing one that is over 3 decades old and much too small.

I don't agree this was Steve's desire to act like some Egyptian king. His legacy is Apple and no building will make or break that. I think he wanted a loop because of the elegance of the shape, what the glass walls and courtyard will do, and to some extent their old address is 1 Infinite Loop (so why not make a new building that is one infinite loop?).
  • Reply 10 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

"It is just an office building."

Did you forget the sarcasm tag?
  • Reply 11 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That project is such a waste of money.

You sure know that! Because you're the one renting out thousands of square feet of office space that isn't exactly what you need or would desire for your work, and to which you can't make the modifications you desire because you don't own it!

Ah, wait, that's Apple.

It is just an office building.

It's not really possible to be able to look at the design and say that, is it? Why not come back to reality?

You could build it with straight walls for one thousandth the cost.

[hyperbole tag needed] image

I believe the whole concept was simply Steve's desire for a monument to his legacy knowing he was nearing death. 

Ludicrous. If anything (it's not), it's a monument to Jonathan Ive's legacy, since he's the one that designed the iPod.

• Reply 12 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Ah yes, the demand for mediocrity. Form has no place, only function. What the hell was Frank Lloyd Wright thinking when he designed the Guggenheim anyway? A corrugated steel pole barn would have been good enough, and much cheaper, to hang those stupid pictures in.

Sounds like the perfect reason for buying Android or Windows.

• Reply 13 of 55
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

It is just an office building.

You have absolutely no idea what it is. Absolutely none.  "0"

• Reply 14 of 55
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Actually, my question here is; where / what exactly is that structure in this rendering?
    It's not the main building itself.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

I know. Apple should just rent trailers and occupy a trailer park. /s
  • Reply 16 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ah yes, the demand for mediocrity. Form has no place, only function. What the hell was Frank Lloyd Wright thinking when he designed the Guggenheim anyway? A corrugated steel pole barn would have been good enough, and much cheaper, to hang those stupid pictures in.

I imagine the Apple employees working in their 4 square meter cubicles in Austin are far less productive than their peers in Cupertino enjoying their 4 circular meter workspace. If it were a public edifice for the appreciation of art then it could be interpreted as an extension of the art on exhibit but it is not. It is an office building - a grandiose office building.

• Reply 17 of 55

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I know. Apple should just rent trailers and occupy a trailer park. /s

Jonathan Ive could pull his own house right up and move in. He'd be right at home!

• Reply 18 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I imagine the Apple employees working in their 4 square meter cubicles in Austin are far less productive than their peers in Cupertino enjoying their 4 circular meter workspace. If it were a public edifice for the appreciation of art then it could be interpreted as an extension of the art on exhibit but it is not. It is an office building - a grandiose office building.
    It is a grandiose office building that is an extension of what Apple is all about - new contemporary design, new solutions, think different, making a statement ", etc etc. I find it very fitting that Apple does not create a beige square HQ, but instead simething visually stunning and technologically awesome. I also totally agree with what Solip's said above. I think Apple always like to refer to the past, to be guided by fundamental beliefs and principles that has been core to Apple since day one.
    The Steve Jobs legacy theory is bullishit. I think 'the boat' is the result of a dying man wishing to make a statement and maybe (but just maybe) that is related to some deluded idea of a legacy (sounds so unlikely now that I wrote it!). But the boat is just a sad insignicant indulgence. The building is not.
  • Reply 20 of 55

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Is that Jony re-imagining that car into an Aston Martin?

Touring his estate, Jony caressed his pride and joy — “Betsy,” the ’84 Cutlass he’s owned since he moved to the States. “She run real good till about ’97. Now she’s just waitin’ on a new set of rotors,” he explained.

Aluminium rotors, probably.