Google Now assistant launches on Apple's iPhone & iPad

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google Now, an intelligent assistant service that has been a staple feature of Android for the last year, has come to Apple's iOS platform, with iPhone and iPad support now available as part of the Google Search app.

Now

Support for Google Now is available in version 3.0 of the official Google Search application, which is available for free on the iOS App Store. With Google Now, users can receive:
  • Weather and traffic conditions before you start your day
  • Updates on your favorite sports teams and breaking news stories as they happen
Google Search with Google Now support requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 5.0 or later. The software has also been designed to take advantage of the 4-inch display of the iPhone 5.

Google Now was launched by the search company last year and was widely seen as its response to Apple's Siri personal assistant. The Google Now service eliminates the need for users to communicate with their phones by automatically detecting information a user is likely to need, and preparing it ahead of time.

Evidence of Google Now for iOS leaked earlier this year while the feature was still in development. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt even caused a controversy last month when he suggested Apple was blocking Google Now from iOS, but it was ultimately revealed that Google had not even submitted the application for approval.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 58
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Does it completely replace the search app like on android, or is it standalone?

I take it it'll only integrate with Google services, and not Apple's? (Eg. Asking for directions will bring up Google maps and not Apple's; calendar events will be in Google calendar; notes will be in Google keep; etc)

Seems like a good way for Google to fight siri rerouting searches away from Google, but siri will still have the advantage of being more accessible through the home button.
  • Reply 3 of 58

very nice on an iPad - have this on my GT2 7 after the last update - nice to now have it regardless of what device I'm using.

• Reply 4 of 58
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    So what is exculusive to android now ? Ingress ?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

What is Ingress?

• Reply 6 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Lag? image

*In before anyone else.

• Reply 7 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

For what it's worth I doubt Google benefits from keeping Android features off the iOS platform, and so I don't think it's in their plans to do so. Can anyone think of a reason for Google to hold back services from iOS as long as Apple cooperates?

• Reply 8 of 58
    Truthfully this makes Siri and other Apple apps look sort of bad. Core, basic usability, simplified, updated. Google's newer design is beautiful, clean, minimal, more functional, and they are actively doing more to roll out new features for users.
    I feel like as time goes on, Apple is realizing they bit off more than they can chew, most of their first party stuff is being done better by the competition. Siri, search, maps, podcasts, stocks, calendar, mail, notes, weather, settings, notifications, the general 'look' of iOS, iCloud.. Why are they so.. boring lately?
  • Reply 9 of 58
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For what it's worth I doubt Google benefits from keeping Android features off the iOS platform, and so I don't think it's in their plans to do so. Can anyone think of a reason for Google to hold back services from iOS as long as Apple cooperates?

It looks like most of the features not included are ones that would have stepped on Apples toes directly and/or held up the approval process.  When you buy plane tix on android Now can automatically have the scan thing in your phone.  That could provide competition for Apples passbook and Apple wouldn't like that.  Same with Fandango and concert ticket info which I believe Apple has its own system too.  On Android Now can push stuff you define as important into your notification center. That capability won't be there on Apple so you'd have to keep the App open in order to get immediate feedback.  Not sure if that is coming in the future or again something Apple would restrict in order to keep the home field advantage for Siri.

Either way it is good for Apple users.  If it has features that make users want to use it in conjunction or in place of Siri, Apple will have to get it in gear.  If Now does not provide those distinguishing features, no harm done, just don't use it.

• Reply 10 of 58
    Since installing it, my location services has been used 100% of the time. Even after app restart and phone reboot.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Love it. Not quite sure what Google Now really adds but I use the Google Voice search far more frequently than Siri. Siri is great for things like set timer, appointments, notes. But if you want to search most web related queries instead of having Siri ask "would you like me to do a web search" why not just use the Google voice search and skip the middleman. Siri does do a good job for some things like movies, weather, find restaurants, but for most web searches it is far easier to use the voice search with Google. 

• Reply 12 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives. 

• Reply 13 of 58
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Android has a ton of exclusives. Malware (97%- Apple can't even compete), fragmentation, shitty skins, software updates that are either several months late or that you don't get at all, laginess, the ability to install a custom ROM which can make your phone a buggy mess, the ability to have your every move tracked by Google, 3rd rate iOS hand-me-down apps, shit software installed by both your OEM and your carrier, etc. Apple is playing massive catch-up to all these exclusives. 

Wow, I need to do better research next time. I got gypped! I did not get any of those features with my Android. oh well.

• Reply 14 of 58
    Truthfully this makes Siri and other Apple apps look sort of bad. Core, basic usability, simplified, updated. Google's newer design is beautiful, clean, minimal, more functional, and they are actively doing more to roll out new features for users.
    I feel like as time goes on, Apple is realizing they bit off more than they can chew, most of their first party stuff is being done better by the competition. Siri, search, maps, podcasts, stocks, calendar, mail, notes, weather, settings, notifications, the general 'look' of iOS, iCloud.. Why are they so.. boring lately?

"Core, basic usability, simplified, updated." That's some pretty serious jargon you're throwing around there. Not sure how Apple is going to compete with that. Maybe if they jazzify it by 10% or so. Give it some pizzazz.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Google held back turn by turn to make Android more valuable. It wasn't until Apple released its own Maps app that Google released its own app with turn by turn.
  • Reply 16 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Wow, I need to do better research next time. I got gypped! I did not get any of those features with my Android. oh well.

That's because you don't have an Apple Fanboi special edition phone.

• Reply 17 of 58
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Complete hyperbole and antiquated at that. I have an iPhone and have used an Android in the past. If you know what you are doing with custom ROMs you can remove bloatware and have a far faster and more energy efficient phone. If you don't know what you are doing then don't mess with custom ROM's or try and root your phone.  Malware is also far overblown. Don't like the skins, don't use them. Plenty of plain ones to choose from and at least you have some choices available.I wish iOS offered even 1/5 the options to customize my iPhone the way you can on Android.  I am not saying Android is superior after all I have an iPhone so I voted with my wallet, but your complaints are churlish and just plain wrong. Android 4.2 is a pretty nice OS and has come a very long way since gingerbread. On phones like the S3 or newer releases it is fast and fluid. You no longer see the lag or slight delays as you did in the past. Like it or not you have to give Google props for addressing a lot of complaints and making some pretty significant improvements and innovations. 

• Reply 18 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Love it. Not quite sure what Google Now really adds but I use the Google Voice search far more frequently than Siri. Siri is great for things like set timer, appointments, notes. But if you want to search most web related queries instead of having Siri ask "would you like me to do a web search" why not just use the Google voice search and skip the middleman. Siri does do a good job for some things like movies, weather, find restaurants, but for most web searches it is far easier to use the voice search with Google. 

Google voice is way better at recognition, and obviously on iOS it will suffer from the lack of OS integration (though, to be fair, I am not sure you can voice launch apps on android devices either maybe someone here knows...)

• Reply 19 of 58
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

That's because you don't have an Apple Fanboi special edition phone.

Those must be the phones that are shipped by the millions but are never sold. They are in a warehouse in Nevada.

• Reply 20 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Complete hyperbole and antiquated at that. I have an iPhone and have used an Android in the past. If you know what you are doing with custom ROMs you can remove bloatware and have a far faster and more energy efficient phone. If you don't know what you are doing then don't mess with custom ROM's or try and root your phone.  Malware is also far overblown. Don't like the skins, don't use them. Plenty of plain ones to choose from and at least you have some choices available.I wish iOS offered even 1/5 the options to customize my iPhone the way you can on Android.  I am not saying Android is superior after all I have an iPhone so I voted with my wallet, but your complaints are churlish and just plain wrong. Android 4.2 is a pretty nice OS and has come a very long way since gingerbread. On phones like the S3 or newer releases it is fast and fluid. You no longer see the lag or slight delays as you did in the past. Like it or not you have to give Google props for addressing a lot of complaints and making some pretty significant improvements and innovations. 

I have been playing with an HTC one, and it is beautiful, and blindingly fast. Is it better than an iPhone? Too subjective a question to answer, but it does not have any glaring faults (and the larger screen is really much nicer).