IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    I don't know how they obtained numbers for the Kindle Fire, but if they have any validity, it looks like people buy them as Xmas gifts than for personal use, based on the Q42012 numbers.
  • Reply 22 of 139
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apples figures are also shipped, not sold.
  • Reply 23 of 139
    It does seen odd in a Q which included the mini compared to previous quarters. Apple needs a $250 device. If that can't compete then there is no need to go after that market.
  • Reply 24 of 139
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

ASUS makes the Google Nexus 7

But are those attributed to Google or ASUS?

• Reply 25 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Oh, and if IDC is to be believed in the second chart, Apple dropped from a 60% global market share to a 40% market share in a single quarter (the drop occurring between Q's 2 & 3 in 2012), where they remain today.

Who stepped in and 'stole' that 20% of market share away in a single quarter? How is that even remotely imaginable?

Even with IDC saying: "the number of units shipped equals market share"? Bwaaa hahahaha!

How else would you define market share, other than number of units sold (or shipped, since this is all they have)? By the way, given that the market is growing exponentially, the number of units USED share will not be that different from market share.

• Reply 26 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Total unsubstantiated bullshit.

And you know this how? IDC has been doing this for a while.

• Reply 27 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengregg View Post

Seriously, IDC has always had it out for Apple. The fact is, their research is funded by subscriptions paid for by all the very same PC manufacturers whose profits are now being decimated by Apple. So IDC's incentive for twisting and stretching the numbers is the hope that if they can make their bread and butter customers look good, perhaps they can buy them some time to figure out how to compete with Apple by making the reality "appear" better than it really is. However, the REALITY is that, just as we saw with netbooks, the only way all of these so-called "competitors" know how to compete is in a race to the bottom as they stumble over themselves rushing to "ship" product as close to cost (or below) as they dare. This may help them gain market share in the short term (while "shipped" product builds up in warehouses waiting for "customers" who may or may not ever appear), but in the end, only Apple makes profits--which in itself is pretty amazing when you consider that everyone else is basically giving their shit away!

No, IDC's bread and butter is being trusted.

• Reply 28 of 139
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

How do I invest in this Others company?  I see them all the time and they are always doing great.

• Reply 29 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

This chart is hilarious! How can they publish this and not be nuked?

9 million Samsung's tablets?? Whaaat? Where???

I can believe Asus because of Nexus 7, but all others?

Someone was drunk.

They can publish this because they did their research. You can do your research, and if it comes out different, you can argue. As it is, you are just talking.

• Reply 30 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

B. S. I seriously doubt that many people are settling for a non- iPad.

What this is saying is that you are wrong.

• Reply 31 of 139

Quote:

No one buys the Nexus 10, at least no one with a working brain.

Never saw one in the wild and most likely will never see it.

Even the Nexus 7 is not that good...

You are wrong, just google "Nexus 10 review". Or check this out:

http://phandroid.com/2013/03/07/ios-user-reviews-the-nexus-10/

(they are discussing a review from an iOS user on iSource, which you can click through to).

• Reply 32 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

How do I invest in this Others company?  I see them all the time and they are always doing great.

I think you would have to move to China...

• Reply 33 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apples figures are also shipped, not sold.

So, where did you find them numbers on non-Apple 'shipments'?image

• Reply 34 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Total unsubstantiated bullshit.

And you know this how? IDC has been doing this for a while.

The National Enquirer has been doing what they do for a longer while than IDC.

• Reply 35 of 139

Quote:

No, IDC's bread and butter is being trusted.

Well, people weren't raising these types of questions until a few months ago. (Even AI is now very careful to use the term 'shipments' while previously, it used to be quite loose in its reporting conflating it with 'sales'). Let's see who long this 'trust' lasts -- others will catch on too. Even the dumb-as-a-rock (on finance issues) tech press will get it one day.

Unless IDC put out an actual methodology -- and they don't so both bother giving us a link -- and also explain how they combine a set of actuals (Apple) with a set of estimates (everyone else), there is nothing to trust.

• Reply 36 of 139

Quote:

Quote:

This chart is hilarious! How can they publish this and not be nuked?

9 million Samsung's tablets?? Whaaat? Where???

I can believe Asus because of Nexus 7, but all others?

Someone was drunk.

They can publish this because they did their research. You can do your research, and if it comes out different, you can argue. As it is, you are just talking.

And you're just trolling (unless you're shilling for IDC).

• Reply 37 of 139
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Unless IDC put out an actual methodology -- and they don't so both bother giving us a link -- and also explain how they combine a set of actuals (Apple) with a set of estimates (everyone else), there is nothing to trust.

Exactly. They list the top 5 companies... which is probably easy to find.

But... how deep did they go to get the "Others" category?

This is worldwide... with probably dozens of little manufacturers all across the globe. How are they formulating these estimates? Where did they get 15.5 million "other" tablets?

If I wanted to know how many "Micromax Funbook Infinity P275" were sold in India... IDC would have that information, right?

Or are they just guessing?
  • Reply 38 of 139
    Well, people weren't raising these types of questions until a few months ago. (Even AI is now very careful to use the term 'shipments' while previously, it used to be quite loose in its reporting conflating it with 'sales'). Let's see who long this 'trust' lasts -- others will catch on too. Even the dumb-as-a-rock (on finance issues) tech press will get it one day.

Once again. Apple use IDC's figures in its conference calls including the last one. You are just a guy on the Internet, one who doesn't understand that Apples figures are shipments to channel not sales. Amongst other remedial mistakes.
  • Reply 39 of 139
    If we didn't have the I DON'T BELIEVE THIS cant in these threads we could have a sane discussion on what Apple needs to do.
  • Reply 40 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Once again. Apple use IDC's figures in its conference calls including the last one. You are just a guy on the Internet, one who doesn't understand that Apples figures are shipments to channel not sales. Amongst other remedial mistakes.

Of course Apple figures are 'shipments'. The fact that even you were able to figure that out pretty much makes that obvious.

Looks like you have trouble comprehending the words 'actuals' and 'estimates' in my post. Not for the first time.

And, for the n-th time -- since you bring it up every time IDC is brought up in AI (which leads me to think that you might work for them) -- the fact that Oppenheimer used it says nothing at all one way or another.

Unless you can explain their methodology, your post makes so sense.