IDC: iPad dipped to 40% of tablet shipments in Q1 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    winniewinnie Posts: 17member
    Based on my observations of tablets being used...Apple's market share looks like 99%.

I have only seen 2 Samsung tablets ever being used in public over the past six months.
  • Reply 62 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    winnie wrote: »
    Based on my observations of tablets being used...Apple's market share looks like 99%.

I have only seen 2 Samsung tablets ever being used in public over the past six months.

My personal accounts also rarely show non-iPad tablets but anecdotes just aren't reliable. Not that IDC is accurate but I'd say it more's scientific than our accounts. I'd even say that I see about 80% Macs when I'm out and about but that's because I tend to see personal computers at coffee shops where there tend to be more affluent people or students hanging out. If you walked into my local Starbucks next to university you'd think Apple was the only notebook vendor and Facebook was the operating system. :D
  • Reply 63 of 139
    scprofessorscprofessor Posts: 218member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No one buys the Nexus 10, at least no one with a working brain.

Never saw one in the wild and most likely will never see it.

Even the Nexus 7 is not that good...

I have both the ipad4 and Nexus 10, and the 10 beats the crap out of the ipad. 

• Reply 64 of 139
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Screw you. I have both the ipad4 and Nexus 10, and the 10 beats the crap out of the ipad. 

Why do you like the Nexus? I have never used it (and it not having LTE is a big minus for me)...

• Reply 65 of 139
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Screw you. I have both the ipad4 and Nexus 10, and the 10 beats the crap out of the ipad. 

In what way?

Like how's the LTE connectivity for instance?

• Reply 66 of 139
    Units shipped means nothing compared to units sold.
  • Reply 67 of 139
    scprofessorscprofessor Posts: 218member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Why do you like the Nexus? I have never used it (and it not having LTE is a big minus for me)...

Thanks for the question, and I'll do my best steer clear of whimsical gamesmenship. 

First, the stupid one, is that it uses the same charger as my phone.

Then in no particular order...

1) The wifi is faster. I've set side by side with the ipad4 and done the speedtest. 

2) Although it looks pretty, I don't like the alum. back of the ipad4. The rubbery back of the Nexus is easier to hold.

3) I like the capacitive lite buttons at the bottom. It makes the net much easier than touching the back icon in the browser. 

4) No LTE or mobile connection. I only buy wifi tablets since 100% of the time will be on my home network or a hotel's wifi. I don't want an extra bill.

5) I like the ability to customize a screen with the apps that I like.

• Reply 68 of 139
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My personal accounts also rarely show non-iPad tablets but anecdotes just aren't reliable. Not that IDC is accurate but I'd say it more's scientific than our accounts. I'd even say that I see about 80% Macs when I'm out and about but that's because I tend to see personal computers at coffee shops where there tend to be more affluent people or students hanging out. If you walked into my local Starbucks next to university you'd think Apple was the only notebook vendor and Facebook was the operating system. image

Very good observation and I don't need a citation to find it credible. image

• Reply 69 of 139
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

I have both the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini for work. My son tried both and chose the Nexus. This is a kid who has had nothing but Macs and iPhones all his life.

• Reply 70 of 139
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It can't be accurate since the methodology is messed up. (As you noted elsewhere in your post, "Half of reading a chart is understanding the data you are looking at.").

Their methodology follows generally accepted practices.  Unlike Apple, most companies don't sell the majority of their products in their own stores, so they report how many units they shipped to their customers.  The tin-foil hattists seem to think many phone selling companies are ordering way more phones than they can hope to sell from Samsung, with the general plan being to pile up inventory and sell the phones at a loss or give them away- or simply put them on a ship at sea and sink it in the ocean.  They do this because they want to artificially inflate Samsungs books....  If you buy that, more power to ya, run with it!  Shipped data may certainly have its flaws, and is prone to some manipulation, but I'd put considerably more weight on it than someone who's rationale is "I really hate Android and wish it wasn't doing as well as it is, so I'm going to ignore data and/or refute it simply because it doesn't support what I wish were true."

Reading the chart is pretty straight forward and it shows Apple is again number one in tablet sales, but rapidly losing ground and won't continue to be so for long if the current trend persists.  If you draw a different conclusion from that data, you are reading it wrong :p  If the data itself is wrong, the chart still points to the same conclusion- it is simply invalid.  People are starting to buy tablets corresponding to what phone OS they use.  There are more Android phone users in the world and I think its pretty believable that in 2 to 3 years Android tablets will outnumber Apple tablets.  Both will still be great.

Buy the tablet you like better and enjoy it.

• Reply 71 of 139
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    frood wrote: »
    Their methodology follows generally accepted practices. 

Can you tell me what those "generally accepted practices" are? Especially a research practice that allows you to confound an actual in one portion of the data with an estimate in the other portion, to arrive at a total?

I've not got an answer to this simple question from any of the blowhards here.

Links and cites please. (Otherwise, I'll have to assume you too are just making it up).
  • Reply 72 of 139
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Can you tell me what those "generally accepted practices" are? Especially a research practice that ws you to confound an actual in one portion of the data with an estimate in the other portion, to arrive at a total?

I've not got an answer to this simple question from any of the blowhards here.

Links and cites please. (Otherwise, I'll have to assume you too are just making it up).

It's the same method used for all other products. Manufacturers aren't in the business of a retailers side of things. If Target orders a million bottles of baby powder from Johnson & Johnson do you think they care when Target sells them? Obviously if Target keeps ordering it's because they're selling.
  • Reply 73 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Their methodology follows generally accepted practices.  Unlike Apple, most companies don't sell the majority of their products in their own stores, so they report how many units they shipped to their customers.  The tin-foil hattists seem to think many phone selling companies are ordering way more phones than they can hope to sell from Samsung, with the general plan being to pile up inventory and sell the phones at a loss or give them away- or simply put them on a ship at sea and sink it in the ocean.  They do this because they want to artificially inflate Samsungs books....  If you buy that, more power to ya, run with it!  Shipped data may certainly have its flaws, and is prone to some manipulation, but I'd put considerably more weight on it than someone who's rationale is "I really hate Android and wish it wasn't doing as well as it is, so I'm going to ignore data and/or refute it simply because it doesn't support what I wish were true."

Reading the chart is pretty straight forward and it shows Apple is again number one in tablet sales, but rapidly losing ground and won't continue to be so for long if the current trend persists.  If you draw a different conclusion from that data, you are reading it wrong :p  If the data itself is wrong, the chart still points to the same conclusion- it is simply invalid.  People are starting to buy tablets corresponding to what phone OS they use.  There are more Android phone users in the world and I think its pretty believable that in 2 to 3 years Android tablets will outnumber Apple tablets.  Both will still be great.

Buy the tablet you like better and enjoy it.

Actually, notice that Microsoft bets that people will buy tablets corresponding to the DESKTOP OS they use. According to Strategy Analytics (an IDC competitor), the surface RT has a 7.5% market share, which is not bad, given that the device certainly has issues and their market share was 0% three quarters ago, so they are not entirely wrong.

• Reply 74 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's the same method used for all other products. Manufacturers aren't in the business of a retailers side of things. If Target orders a million bottles of baby powder from Johnson & Johnson do you think they care when Target sells them? Obviously if Target keeps ordering it's because they're selling.

Actually, your question "do they think they care" is not rhetorical. It used to be with books that if a bookstore could not sell all of the copies they could send the unsold stock to the publisher for a refund. I assume that this is not the same with phones or baby powder, but I actually don't know (baby powder can be warehoused, phones become obsolete after a few months). Note that I do agree with your broader point.

• Reply 75 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You didn't even understand my question to Frood, did you?

Anyway, unless you have some specific links and cites, don't even bother to reply. At this point, it's fairly obvious that you guys are just making it up as you go along...... image

• Reply 76 of 139

Quote:

I assume that this is not the same with phones or baby powder, but I actually don't know (baby powder can be warehoused, phones become obsolete after a few months).

Ok, at least you're being honest. Kudos.

• Reply 77 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You didn't even understand my question to Frood, did you?

Anyway, unless you have some specific links and cites, don't even bother to reply. At this point, it's fairly obvious that you guys are just making it up as you go along...... image

Let me get it straight: you don't trust IDC methodology, and you admit that you are not aware of better methodology. Do you assume that the IDC study (which gets very similar results to the Strategy Analytics study which came out a few days ago) has NO information content? So, we know absolutely nothing about tablet (or phone, or adjustable wrench) marketshare of anyone. In that case, why even read this thread?

• Reply 78 of 139

Quote:

(i) Let me get it straight: you don't trust IDC methodology, and (ii) you admit that you are not aware of better methodology. (iii a) Do you assume that the IDC study (which gets very similar results to the Strategy Analytics study which came out a few days ago) (iii b) has NO information content? (iv) So, we know absolutely nothing about tablet (or phone, or adjustable wrench) marketshare of anyone. (v) In that case, why even read this thread?

OK, I took the trouble of breaking it down for you above.

(i) Yes, I don't. Did you understand why? (For a good hint, see ii below)

(ii) There is nothing to 'admit.' A flawed methodology is a flawed methodology. If they want to be intellectually honest and consistent, they would estimate Apple's numbers using exactly the same methodology -- whatever that is -- they use to estimate shipments and shares for the non-Apple firms, and report that for all firms, including Apple. Indeed, it would be a great check of whether their methodology is worth the paper it's written on, since it can be compared against Apple's actuals. (Perhaps that's what IDC is afraid of?).

(iii a) You have not shown in any remotely convincing way that various companies produce similar numbers. You pulled out one out of your hat, about MSFT. Indeed, as numerous reports have shown, these consulting (sorry "research") firms have often produced contradictory results in a whole host of areas.

(iii b) It has SOME information content, surely. I just don't know what. If I don't know or don't trust a methodology, I have no clue what to make of it. I am willing to be persuaded, but I have to have an actual argument.

(iv) We do know Apple's actual shipments. The rest are estimates (without error bands!).

(v) Because guys like you show up with FUD (that stands for F^ckin' Useless Data), and pretend you're making some profound point, despite the fact that you are unable to answer some basic questions. (That kind of nonsense needs to be countered.)

Here are the basic questions, again for you, asdasd, dasanman, Frood, and the rest of your crowd: (a) Why is Apple the only one to report volumes shipped -- What are the others hiding? (b) What is IDC's methodology? (c) How can you conceptually justify confounding actuals with estimates? Why not use estimates all around (which will also provide us an excellent check on their methodology, since Apple thankfully provides volume data)?

Add: Calling it a day now. Will check back tomorrow to see if you have a response to any or all of the three specific questions.

• Reply 79 of 139
    focherfocher Posts: 688member
    I read all the replies and it's still unsubstantiated bullshit. Nothing more than a guess. Not a single vendor even releases shipment data...except for Apple. Don't tell me I need to disprove bullshit. If we go back and compare even IDC's estimated Samsung shipments in 2010 versus the actuals that were revealed at trial, we see that IDC doesn't know jack shit about actual shipments or sales.

By the way, Apple shipped 1 trillion iPads this quarter. Disprove it!
  • Reply 80 of 139
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Amazon and Microsoft shipments combined attaining those of ASUS (who? what?).

Bezos and Bozo Ballmer must be popping the champagne corks tonight. LOL

Both of the numbers for Amazon and Microsoft were not as big as I expected them to be. Remember how the analyst were saying Microsoft sold 1.4 million of both types of Surface tablets? This report rolled that back to 900,000... probably a more accurate number.

in the "other" category is the Barnes and Noble Nooks... Pretty low end pricing. Then there's the $89 Walgreen's Chinese no-brand tablets with a resistive screen and all the capability of a wrist watch with a built-in calculator and usually DOA.