Apple's iOS widens lead over Android in US mobile Web traffic share

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to a report from investment bank Piper Jaffray, Apple's share of the mobile Web is not only dominating Android in the U.S., but has shown growth at the expense of Google's operating system, leading the firm to believe iOS users are generally more engaged with their devices than owners of rival handsets.

iOS Web
Source: Investing Analytics for Piper Jaffray

In a research note furnished to AppleInsider, Piper Jaffray noted that the third party data analysis from Investing Analytics showed significant growth in iOS Web share over the past three months. Android's presence, while still substantial, is shrinking.

The study included mobile traffic for 10 of the top 100 mobile websites, including Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo and Dictionary.com.

"For the second straight month in our tracking of the data, iOS gained on Android as a source of mobile traffic," said analyst Gene Munster. "We believe the traffic data continues to demonstrate that iOS is not only the leading platform in the US, its users are generally more engaged with their mobile devices."

In April, Apple's iOS represented 69 percent of mobile traffic from the sites monitored, up 2.6 percent from the March average of 66.4 percent and 3.7 percent from February. Over the same period, Android was the main share loser, dropping from a 29.7 percent share to 26.5 percent.

Munster believes there are three reasons for Apple's dominance in U.S. mobile Web share: the iPhone is the most popular smartphone platform in the U.S.; iOS users are generally more engaged with their devices than their Android counterparts; and the iPad's influence in the tablet marketplace, which is seen to drive more traffic than a smartphone due to a Web-friendly form factor.

Broken down by device, the iPhone slowly ceded its lead to the iPad. For February, Apple's handset accounted for a 61.1 percent share of mobile traffic. By April, however, the iPhone fell to 58.30 percent while the iPad grew to a 41.7 percent average, up from from 38.7 percent.

"We believe that iOS is likely to continue to lead in mobile traffic generation in the US for at least the remainder of the year," Munster said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report from investment bank Piper Jaffray, Apple's share of the mobile Web is not only dominating Android in the U.S., but has shown growth at the expense of Google's operating system, leading the firm to believe iOS users are generally more engaged with their devices than owners of rival handsets.

[...]

"We believe that iOS is likely to continue to lead in mobile traffic generation in the US for at least the remainder of the year," Munster said.

I am honestly not trying to be a smartass here, but my reaction to this article is "So what?" How does anyone benefit from knowing that the majority of mobile web traffic comes from iOS devices? What does it mean? Why would anyone bother to check?

"A new report indicates that Volvo drivers use their cup holders more than Mercedes owners." It seems like an utterly meaningless data point.

• Reply 2 of 90
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Well, you don't ride to work on a broken bicycle.

• Reply 3 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I am honestly not trying to be a smartass here, but my reaction to this article is "So what?" How does anyone benefit from knowing that the majority of mobile web traffic comes from iOS devices? What does it mean? Why would anyone bother to check?

"A new report indicates that Volvo drivers use their cup holders more than Mercedes owners." It seems like an utterly meaningless data point.

it is for those who says that apple is doomed....

• Reply 4 of 90
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

This is not worldwide trend, unfortunately...

• Reply 5 of 90
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member
    For developers, it obvouosly has a lot to say whether people use their devices or not. So surveys like these are important, even more so because of all the analytic firms projecting sales/shipping out of the blue without real numbers from other firms than Apple and Nokia.
    I would however be a bit careful before I buy these latest web use numbers as representative of the whole of the US. It's based on 10 websites, incuding Linkedin, which I'd say cater to the more educated and "corporate" part of the population. So I'd conclude form this survey that a growing part of the high-income well educated segment are moving towards iOS. Other usage stat firms like StatCounter show a similar trend but less drastic: iOS growing from 52 to 55% the last 3 months, with Android flat on 40%.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [QUOTE name="v5v" url="/t/157389/apples-ios-widens-lead-over-android-in-us-mobile-web-traffic-share#post_2322950"]

[/QUOTE]

I have analysed your statement and it appears to contain high amounts of 'GTFOOD" (Get The f@ckOut Of Dodge') elements.

This is bad because it appears you may not have made the correlation between the incredibly, super, awesomely, incredible super-perdackular, (did I mention 'incredible' already?), ridiculously, awesome activation numbers thrown out there by 'Don't Be Evil Unless We Get Caught Being Evil" Google.

It's just a small bit of evidence, but it does make the general population curious why, if Google have the "mega-super-spectacular" majority of activators, why are those individuals not using their devices afterwards?

Small point, but an interesting one none-the-less.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I have analysed your statement and it appears to contain high amounts of 'GTFOOD" (Get The **** Out Of Dodge') elements.

I don't know what that means. I try hard, but sadly I'm just not that bright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It's just a small bit of evidence, but it does make the general population curious why, if Google have the mega-super-spectacular majority of activators, why are those individuals not using their devices afterwards?

If we assume it means that Google is inflating their activation figures, my reaction is "So what? Who benefits from knowing how many units Google really has in the wild anyway?"

If, on the other hand, we assume it means they really have delivered as many devices as they claim but buyers just aren't using them to visit specific web sites, then my reaction is "So what? Who benefits from Android users visiting more web sites than iOS users or vice-versa?" Number of HITS matters, where they come from is utterly irrelevant.

I still don't see how this information is useful to anyone anywhere. ESPECIALLY based on tracking only 10 web sites.

• Reply 8 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Groan...
  • Reply 9 of 90
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    I have a hard time drawing any meaningful conclusion from this data. How about all top 100? Does 'web traffic' include access from apps?
  • Reply 10 of 90
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Advertisers have billions invested in knowing where to maximize exposure. Clearly, it is best with iOS.

• Reply 11 of 90

so the iPod touch is less than 0.1% of iOS?

just did the math on q2 2013 figures.

62% iPhone

33% iPad

5% iPod touch (assuming ~50% of total iPods sold were iPod touch)

So I guess of that 5%, the number of iPods that are used to browse the web regularly would probably be pretty insignificant.

• Reply 12 of 90
    It would be nice to get a list of what UA strings they're associating with what device.

I ask this because Chrome on my Galaxy Nexus has "Mozilla/5.0(Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_3) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19 as its UA string.

The stock browser UA is very different (Undeniably Android) but if you've got Chrome (50m downloads), why would you use that?

This is ignoring all the other browsers you're not blocked from (and therefore able to) install on Android.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    ukjbukjb Posts: 19member
    "The study included mobile traffic for 10 of the top 100 mobile websites, including Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo and Dictionary.com."

So, I was always curious how they calculate this stuff. I would think android users would be more inclined to use Google than they would any of these websites:
    * Answers.com (google search)
    * ChaCha (google search)
    * Squidoo (google sites)
    * Examiner (google news)

So what are these statistics really telling us? That visitors of THESE ten sites... only TEN... show more iOS visitors. Not the whole internet.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The study included mobile traffic for 10 of the top 100 mobile websites, including Answers.com, Tumblr, ChaCha, Examiner, LinkedIn, Bleacher Report, Hubpages, White Pages, Squidoo and Dictionary.com.

Not only is that a weird selection of websites, but who does not use an app to go to LinkedIn on their phone?  Or apps or widgets for any of those?

Quote:

"For the second straight month in our tracking of the data, iOS gained on Android as a source of mobile traffic," said analyst Gene Munster. "We believe the traffic data continues to demonstrate that iOS is not only the leading platform in the US, ...

Web usage does not correlate to sales.  

Depending on the counting method, it could sometimes relate to how often the browser reloads pages.

Quote:

... its users are generally more engaged with their mobile devices."

Or it could show that Android users are more likely to use an app or widget than a web browser.

That could be because Android has a Back button to make navigating around apps easier by keeping a context trail.   (On iOS the equivalent experience would be using a browser with a Back button, which might explain its popularity as a usage method.)

• Reply 15 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It would be nice to get a list of what UA strings they're associating with what device.

I ask this because Chrome on my Galaxy Nexus has "Mozilla/5.0(Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_3) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.151 Safari/535.19 as its UA string.

The stock browser UA is very different (Undeniably Android) but if you've got Chrome (50m downloads), why would you use that?

This is ignoring all the other browsers you're not blocked from (and therefore able to) install on Android.
    And how many non-geeks actually do this?
  • Reply 16 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Advertisers have billions invested in knowing where to maximize exposure. Clearly, it is best with iOS.

That must be why iAds is so successful. Advertisers are more than willing to pay the additional fees that Apple asks to avoid dealing with those poor and ignorant Android owners.image

• Reply 17 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And how many non-geeks actually do this?

Well, I just gave you at least 50m for Chrome. That's only play downloads for presumably the English version.

Or to put it another way, a similar amount to the amount that play Angry Birds. Hardly geek-only territory.

• Reply 18 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

I try hard, but sadly I'm just not that bright.

+1 (as Google would say).

• Reply 19 of 90
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Not only is that a weird selection of websites, but who does not use an app to go to LinkedIn on their phone?  Or apps or widgets for any of those?

You're right about apps versus websites, but the study does not purport to do the former.

In any event, see all the problems that arise with this type of survey-based nonsense that is trotted out, especially when the methodology or validity is never made clear -- like you do every time when you quote Chitika (or whatever the heck they're called) data? (In fact, I am suprised you haven't brought it up yet in this thread).

• Reply 20 of 90
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That must be why iAds is so successful. Advertisers are more than willing to pay the additional fees that Apple asks to avoid dealing with those poor and ignorant Android owners.image

Isn't iAds more successful than anything that comes from google (mobile)?