Samsung's cash pile triples in one year, now worth $28.5B after debt

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It's not true.

2) Yes, you make a reasonable post it will be received in kind by reasonable people. If you've read most things by Apple ][ you'll see the other side of what you claim and will see plenty of "pro-Apple" jump on him for making foolishly biased comments.

3) I think you need to be more diligent in your comprehension as you gave a thumb up to ankleskater in post #28 and again to first time poster hdtc in post #37 for the exact same comment. Exact. Word for word, letter for letter, nine comments later.

I agreed with the comments....i don't have to explain my thumbs up activity to you....

• Reply 42 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    I agreed with the comments....i don't have to explain my thumbs up activity to you....

Of course not, but it does call into question what I previously stated. You actively thumbed up a spammer, and not a very clever one at that. If you had stated, "Oh shit, you're right. I knew it sounded familiar. My bad." that would have been a reasonable response as I'm sure we've all missed one at first glance, but instead you defend it? Come on!
  • Reply 43 of 84

Quote:

Of course not, but it does call into question what I previously stated. You actively thumbed up a spammer, and not a very clever one at that. If you had stated, "Oh shit, you're right. I knew it sounded familiar. My bad." that would have been a reasonable response as I'm sure we've all missed one at first glance, but instead you defend it? Come on!

lol...not going to appologize to you for anything....i stated my reasons and did not have to do that.

But if you have an issue with something someone posted....perhaps you should take it up with them and not me......why have you not called that person out? Why did you challenge me for a thimbs up? Did you report that person to the moderators? Why not? Why give me a hard time? C'mon! image

• Reply 44 of 84
    why have you not called that person out? Why did you challenge me for a thimbs up? Did you report that person to the moderators? Why not? Why give me a hard time? C'mon! ;)

1) Why would I directly address a spammer? Are you really not paying attention?!

2) I addressed you because you're not a troll or an idiot despite me often disagreeing with your defensive stances, and because it directly relates to how well you're paying attention to what is being discussed.

3) I verified it was a direct copy and then I reported it.

4) You assumed I didn't report it. Is this because I didn't address the spammer directly? :???:

5) I'm giving you a hard time because this discussion is about how savvy you are in following the discussion. Your initial claim is that anything pro-Samsung get "blasted" for it which I believe is woefully inaccurate. I've commented positively on Samsung's success recently and I, for one, appreciate when GatorGuy posts as he usually put a great deal of effort into his comments, even if I do disagree with his or his source's conclusions. The silly one liners and foolishly biased pro-Samsung comments get blasted but those commenters aren't trying to move the discussion forward. They aren't reasonable. I'm not even sure they are capable of being reasonable.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    philgarphilgar Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Here is a bit of Samsung's iffy history with Korea's tax agency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/business/global/30samsung.html?_r=0

Talk about trolling... The linked article is about a Samsung executive who was caught evading taxes and pardoned.  It has nothing to do with the company's taxes.  I'm sure there have been apple employees who have cheated the government on their taxes (with as many employees as apple has, it's bound to have happened), but I wouldn't point at that and say that apple is cheating the government out of taxes.  A company is not responsible for every action their employees make, particularly those made "off the clock".

Phil

• Reply 46 of 84
    scprofessorscprofessor Posts: 218member
    I'd like to know how much of Sammy's profits came from making parts for Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 84

Quote:

1) Why would I directly address a spammer? Are you really not paying attention?!

2) I addressed you because you're not a troll or an idiot despite me often disagreeing with your defensive stances, and because it directly relates to how well you're paying attention to what is being discussed.

3) I verified it was a direct copy and then I reported it.

4) You assumed I didn't report it. Is this because I didn't address the spammer directly? image

5) I'm giving you a hard time because this discussion is about how savvy you are in following the discussion. Your initial claim is that anything pro-Samsung get "blasted" for it which I believe is woefully inaccurate. I've commented positively on Samsung's success recently and I, for one, appreciate when GatorGuy posts as he usually put a great deal of effort into his comments, even if I do disagree with his or his source's conclusions. The silly one liners and foolishly biased pro-Samsung comments get blasted but those commenters aren't trying to move the discussion forward. They aren't reasonable. I'm not even sure they are capable of being reasonable.

precisely....instaed of following the thread and subject you decided to attack me for what someone else posted.......I gave their comment a thumbs up and you did not like it...grow up...this is the internet adults play here..... no matter which way you try to wordsmith it now.....you have an issue with a spammer...then take it up with them or the moderators. I do not have to justify my approvals or thumbs up to you.

• Reply 48 of 84
    precisely....instaed of following the thread and subject you decided to attack me for what someone else posted.......I gave their comment a thumbs up and you did not like it...grow up...this is the internet adults play here..... no matter which way you try to wordsmith it now.....you have an issue with a spammer...then take it up with them or the moderators. I do not have to justify my approvals or thumbs up to you.

I didn't attack you. I questioned your diligence in reading comprehension. You either willingly thumbed up a spammer for spamming or didn't realize that the 2 sentences you thumbed up just minutes before were the exact same 2 sentences being copy and pasted by a spammer. That directly relates to your ability to discern who and what is being blasted when you claim that reasonable posters are blasting others for making reasonable comments that are in favour of other companies that aren't Apple. My issue is with your blanket statements that you have yet to prove as reasonable.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I give a thumbs up to your defense of your choice to give a thumbs up to whomever you wish. Sounds like someone is just jealous or has a bad case of hall monitoritis. Often some of the most intriguing posts I read here are by new posters. A good post you agree with is a good post regardless if they have 5 posts total or 15,000. Some people mistakenly think their post tally equates to military rank and over 10,000 makes them a 4 star general. It is just an internet forum and nothing more. 

• Reply 50 of 84

Quote:

I didn't attack you. I questioned your diligence in reading comprehension. You either willingly thumbed up a spammer for spamming or didn't realize that the 2 sentences you thumbed up just minutes before were the exact same 2 sentences being copy and pasted by a spammer. That directly relates to your ability to discern who and what is being blasted when you claim that reasonable posters are blasting others for making reasonable comments that are in favour of other companies that aren't Apple. My issue is with your blanket statements that you have yet to prove as reasonable.

Prove to you as being resonable.....I gave it enough effort....you either do not get it or do not want to see the whole picture..... I do not have to prove my actions to be resonable to you.....i think you are missing that part.

Are you a moderator?

• Reply 51 of 84
    I do not have to prove my actions to be resonable to you.

Sure you do, just I have to prove myself to be reasonable to you. But that's all beside the point. The point is your initial premise is wrong.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    2) Yes, you make a reasonable post it will be received in kind by reasonable people. If you've read most things by Apple ][ you'll see the other side of what you claim and will see plenty of "pro-Apple" jump on him for making foolishly biased comments. He was just called out a day or two ago with some claim that only poor, stupid people use Android.

Still highly one sided though. I mean, in this thread alone, there are 3 biased one liners against Samsung, claiming their money is 'dirty', that all their R&D is stolen from apple, and that their phones are only shipped, not sold. Of those, only one person called out the R&D comment. And he was attacked for it later on in the thread.

Make a similar post about how apple only steals their R&D from xerox and see how many people denounce you for it.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    They are even copying Apple's cash-hoarding now ¡

Now that's funny.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    majjo wrote: »
    Still highly one sided though. I mean, in this thread alone, there are 3 biased one liners against Samsung, claiming their money is 'dirty', that all their R&D is stolen from apple, and that their phones are only shipped, not sold. Of those, only one person called out the R&D comment. And he was attacked for it later on in the thread.

Make a similar post about how apple only steals their R&D from xerox and see how many people denounce you for it.

Yes but you are free to attack and question them just the same.
  • Reply 55 of 84

Quote:

Sure you do, just I have to prove myself to be reasonable to you. But that's all beside the point. The point is your initial premise is wrong.

no it is not......you attacked me for giving a thumbs up to a post...thats where this whole thing started. I don't owe you an explanation or an accounting of ANY thumbs up i give to anyone. That is my premise....you can try to turn it around anyway you want to but you are still wrong and it is not your business who or what i decide to give a thumbs up to..... if that is not resonable to you...... That is not my problem.

Again if you have an issue with my thumbs up....take it up with the moderators.....

• Reply 56 of 84

That's not what one-sided means. You can say it's unbalanced in favour of Apple, and I'd wholeheartedly agree, just as other forums are clearly in favour against Apple.

But are those comments that Samsung only ships and doesn't sell reasonable comments? I've stated many times that regardless of whether they only report shipped numbers that it's impossible for Samsung to make so many devices they aren't selling. You can't ship 50 million Galaxy S3's without selling nearly all of them.

Channel stuffing only goes so far and it's a short term goal usually shore up quarterly reports. I've also stated that Apple surely does it, too, albiet likely to a lesser extent as they appear to sell most if not all of their product as soon as they can make them, but the same can likely also be said for Samsung's higher end smartphones. What these two companies probably do is leverage their popularity for the other end of this same tactic by getting retailers to commit to higher volumes than they initially want to get that sale on the books. With channel stuffing they usually offer a discount, but with Samsung and Apple's popularity they likely don't have to do any such thing. Same effect, but different leverage.

I've stated this in the past and don't recall getting blasted by reasonable posters. Do you think I'll get blasted now for stating positive things about Samsung?
  • Reply 57 of 84
    no it is not......you attacked me for giving a thumbs up to a post...thats where this whole thing started. I don't owe you an explanation or an accounting of ANY thumbs up i give to anyone. That is my premise....you can try to turn it around anyway you want to but you are still wrong and it is not your business who or what i decide to give a thumbs up to..... if that is not resonable to you...... That is not my problem.
    Again if you have an issue with my thumbs up....take it up with the moderators.....

I questioned your reading comprehension. Again, if thumbing up the exact same 2 sentence statement just minutes earlier wasn't a red flag then I question your ability to know what is or isn't reasonable when one states something for or against Apple, Samsung, et al. It calls into question your awareness of what is actually being discussed.

This is not dissimilar when Apple announced a 7.85" iPad mini and then people claimed that Steve Jobs stated they'd never make a 7" tablet, even quoting what he said about the current lot of 7" tablets being DOA.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    I questioned your reading comprehension. Again, if thumbing up the exact same 2 sentence statement just minutes earlier wasn't a red flag then I question your ability to know what is or isn't reasonable when one states something for or against Apple, Samsung, et al. It calls into question your awareness of what is actually being discussed.

This is not dissimilar when Apple announced a 7.85" iPad mini and then claimed that Steve Jobs stated they'd never make a 7" tablet, even quoting what he said about the current lot of 7" tablets being DOA.

I don't recall anyone claiming SJ said that they would never make a 7" tablet, but he did insinuate that they wouldn't make one smaller than the iPad.
    Apple has done extensive testing, really understand this stuff. Limits to how close you can place elements for usability. Why 10" is minimum size for great tablet apps.

It was smart of Apple to deviate from that mindset because the mini is a great device, and there was obviously a big market for it, which you can add me to.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    That's not what one-sided means. You can say it's unbalanced in favour of Apple, and I'd wholeheartedly agree, just as other forums are clearly in favour against Apple.

But are those comments that Samsung only ships and doesn't sell reasonable comments? I've stated many times that regardless of whether they only report shipped numbers that it's impossible for Samsung to make so many devices they aren't selling. You can't ship 50 million Galaxy S3's without selling nearly all of them.

Channel stuffing only goes so far and it's a short term goal usually shore up quarterly reports. I've also stated that Apple surely does it, too, albiet likely to a lesser extent as they appear to sell most if not all of their product as soon as they can make them, but the same can likely also be said for Samsung's higher end smartphones. What these two companies probably do is leverage their popularity for the other end of this same tactic by getting retailers to commit to higher volumes than they initially want to get that sale on the books. With channel stuffing they usually offer a discount, but with Samsung and Apple's popularity they likely don't have to do any such thing. Same effect, but different leverage.

I've stated this in the past and don't recall getting blasted by reasonable posters. Do you think I'll get blasted now for stating positive things about Samsung?

I won't make any guarantees on that post specifically. You mentioned you enjoy reading GG's posts, but look at his reputation on this forum: he's labeled everything from troll to resident Google shrill.

The problem is that reasonable anti-apple pro-competitor posts are labeled as trolling, while unreasonable pro-apple, anti-competitor posts are given a free pass.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don't recall anyone claiming SJ said that they would never make a 7" tablet, but he did insinuate that they wouldn't make one smaller than the iPad.

It was smart of Apple to deviate from that mindset because the mini is a great device, and there was obviously a big market for it, which you can add me to.

Anyone who takes an insinuation as a statement of fact is foolish. You can try to deduce what is meant by the an obscure statement but to draw erroneous conclusions that were not explicitly stated is not Apple or Jobs's shortcoming.

I won't make any guarantees on that post specifically. You mentioned you enjoy reading GG's posts, but look at his reputation on this forum: he's labeled everything from troll to resident Google shrill.

The problem is that reasonable anti-apple pro-competitor posts are labeled as trolling, while unreasonable pro-apple, anti-competitor posts are given a free pass.

Those are blanket statements. As I stated, it's unbalanced, but that doesn't mean that they go unnoticed. There is no one on this site that is more pro-Apple than Apple ][, in my opinion, and just a couple days ago I've seen several "pro-Apple" posters here take him to task over some of the stuff he said. I don't think I replied to him because what I would have stated was already addressed.