AT&T to reportedly drop HTC's 'Facebook Phone' following sluggish sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    slurpy wrote: »
    That was..fast. I remember all the "LOL iOS CANT HANDLE SOMETHING LIKE FACEBOOK HOME ANDROID IS SO AWESOME" trolling like it was yesterday. Turns out, people aren't clamoring for that shit.

Really? Where? I didn't see ANYONE bragging about a Facebook themed iOS, anywhere. You know what android fans are doing right now? Buying the One or the GS4. Even after it was released on Google Play, no one seemed interested in Facebook Home.
  • Reply 22 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Facebook, the MySpace of tomorrow.

Nah, Facebook is too big to fail!  

Just like Kodak!

Washington Mutual...

Braniff Airlines

Ziff-Davis

Reader's Digest Corporation

Gateway

Palm

Hewlett-Packard

I guess Facebook will be with notable company.

RIP Facebook.

• Reply 23 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, where are all the fandroids who gloated about iOS not getting Facebook Home?

So it's really about sticking it to the fanboys on the other side, right? That's why we wish doom on a competing company? Not because of the company or its products but the fact that the other side likes them? I've been around Apple a long time and have suffered through the denigration of the Windows crowd, the proprietary web code that left Macs out totally, the taunts, the predictions of doom and claims of irrelevance. Now that Apple is the top dog in a new world it's our turn to do the taunting, the denigrating, the laughing? Somehow it doesn't feel all that good to me to do that. In a strange way I think it would be a good idea for Apple to produce a Windows RT version of iTunes, a sort of "pay it forward" for Bill and Steve, who down deep actually liked each other apparently.

If Apple were the only choice out there it would be a duller tech world, wouldn't it?

• Reply 24 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Facepalm!

Faceplant.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow looks like we've got some thin skinned Android fans around here.

And yeah, when Facebook Home first came out the tech press did make a big deal about it not being available for iOS, especially with Facebook themselves saying they could only do something like this with Android because its so much more open than iOS is. So yeah I get a certain bit of satisfaction knowing iOS users aren't missing out on much, if anything here.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    marklouismarklouis Posts: 12member

> a sort of "pay it forward" for Bill and Steve, who down deep actually liked each other apparently

Anytime you feel that way, click over to Folklore.org and read or re-read about how Gates killed the amazing MacBasic.

I'm looking forward to Microsoft going the way of Sun and Wang and the slower, more painfully, the better.

• Reply 27 of 48
    Who was going to drop their current phone and the FB phone. It was never going to be a phone people would rush out to buy. If it succeeds, it will be over the long haul.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    I do remember the media saying Facebook picked their team & it's not Apple. Not an Android fan but glad people realize Android is the operating system Facebook is an app
  • Reply 29 of 48
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

I personally think Zuckerberg & co made a huge mistake when they followed G+´s way of letting everyone add you.

By making subscribers, and opening everything up they took away the core of why I liked Facebook. Privacy & quality content. 

Over night it was turned into reshare-over-the-top-to-get-more-subscriber mania just like G+ was. It was a major turn-off, and I more or less stopped using it. 

Now it´s just like a poor mans reddit with your annoying far away relatives. 

And please don´t reply "You know you can turn it off, restrict it etc". That´s not the point, the point is the whole site change character by these changes. 

• Reply 30 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Shipped and soon to be unshipped.

Too bad HTC can't seem to score a break against the Samsung hype machine.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    So it's really about sticking it to the fanboys on the other side, right? That's why we wish doom on a competing company? Not because of the company or its products but the fact that the other side likes them? I've been around Apple a long time and have suffered through the denigration of the Windows crowd, the proprietary web code that left Macs out totally, the taunts, the predictions of doom and claims of irrelevance. Now that Apple is the top dog in a new world it's our turn to do the taunting, the denigrating, the laughing? Somehow it doesn't feel all that good to me to do that. In a strange way I think it would be a good idea for Apple to produce a Windows RT version of iTunes, a sort of "pay it forward" for Bill and Steve, who down deep actually liked each other apparently.

If Apple were the only choice out there it would be a duller tech world, wouldn't it?

What if the current top dog, Samsung achieves their seeming goal of absolute domination?

Dullness as a 'life companion'!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    spacepowerspacepower Posts: 208member
    There's a general lack of analysis here.

This isn't an expensive flagship phone like the galaxy S4, HTC One, or iPhone 5.

This phone is aimed at young people who would upgrade their smartphone between June and September.

Students who upgrade during the summer months or before the next school year.
    By most reviews, it's a decent midrange phone.

If I was an android user I'd be hoping for success. Competition is Good. Even for iOS users.
  • Reply 33 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, where are all the fandroids who gloated about iOS not getting Facebook Home?

They don't exist. Most android fanboys don't like home if they are pure google. The thing that bothers me is when a Apple fanboy gets happy about not getting the choice to run an app. 

• Reply 34 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

They don't exist. Most android fanboys don't like home if they are pure google. The thing that bothers me is when a Apple fanboy gets happy about not getting the choice to run an app. 

What a ridiculous statement. "Apple fanboys", and everyone else with an iOS device, has the "choice" to have the facebook App and run it as much as they fucking want. They just don't have the "choice" to have an app take over the entire fucking phone, as facebook home does.  Reasonable people realize that giving capabilities to apps to modify such core aspects of the OS can cause serious useability issues. A bit different than "running" an app, but hey whats the difference, right? It makes your troll more sensational. 

• Reply 35 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Most android fanboys don't like home if they are pure google.

I like it that you declare yourself to be in a position to make a statement on behalf of 'most Android fanboys'.

Keep telling your mirror:

"You da man!"

• Reply 36 of 48
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Hah!! Perfect! I think the thing I hate about FB is that they really don't produce anything tangible. Maybe I'm old here but they are nothing more than a glorified BBS.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    The thing that bothers me is when a Apple fanboy gets happy about not getting the choice to run an app. 

In other words, the thing that bothers you is when other people don't think what you think? Wow, that truly is a horrible state of affairs...you must cry yourself to sleep each night.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Whoa. . . There were gloating Android fans proud of Facebook Home?? The overall two star rating at Google Play would be evidence they were part of a tiny minority if so.

Did you really expect Google to give a good rating to a product they did not want on Android. Remember they are not evil - in their own minds.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    marklouis wrote: »
    ><span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;"> a sort of "pay it forward" for Bill and Steve, who down deep actually liked each other apparently</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">Anytime you feel that way, click over to Folklore.org and read or re-read about how Gates killed the amazing MacBasic.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">I'm looking forward to Microsoft going the way of Sun and Wang and the slower, more painfully, the better.</span>

Invite me to the wake too :)
  • Reply 40 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Did you really expect Google to give a good rating to a product they did not want on Android. Remember they are not evil - in their own minds.

It's user ratings/reviews, not Google.