AT&T to reportedly drop HTC's 'Facebook Phone' following sluggish sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Yawn! FB has turned into a freaking turkey.
    And I laugh when I see people with 7000 friends but as you scroll through their wall maybe 6 of the same folks respond to their sh@@.
    This makes the movie the social network seem like a wasted venture.
    I have a theory that FB will eventually create different flavors of FB the way the cable pimps do.
    The cheapest package gets you 99% infomercials and some sundance stuff, while the premium package gets you the stuff you really want. It's gong to happen.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    In other words, the thing that bothers you is when other people don't think what you think? Wow, that truly is a horrible state of affairs...you must cry yourself to sleep each night.

Exactly. That seems to be the major motivation for many of the Apple haters. It was even more obvious back in the days when it was all about Windows v Macs. The Windows fans were downright brutal in their insistence that no one could possibly make a reasoned decision to use a Mac because 'everyone' uses Windows. The fandroids are almost as bad, albeit a little more subtle.

I'm convinced that it's a disorder related to narcissistic personality disorder. That is, a disorder where the people have such a grandiose view of themselves that they can't even conceive of someone making a choice different than the one that they made. Because the person with this disorder thinks that the world revolves around them, they honestly believe that anyone who makes different choices is not only wrong, but actually evil.

A very brief layman's description:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652
  • Reply 43 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Facebook is a has been which will not die, It is no better than anything that came before it even the cork board in dormitories.

The investment communities got screwed by this one and Mark is laughing all the way to the bank. 

• Reply 44 of 48
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Whoa. . . There were gloating Android fans proud of Facebook Home?? The overall two star rating at Google Play would be evidence they were part of a tiny minority if so.

Exactly.  Android users didn't like it because it doesn't support widgets, folders, etc.

As someone else put it, Facebook Home was a good idea for FB fans, but forgot that even those people had other apps / widgets they wanted to use as well.

• Reply 45 of 48
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

This is BOGUS, man!!  I'm going to organize a protest against AT&T!!   Who's with me?!

C'mon, I said   WHO'S WITH ME?!!!

On another note, however;  What does this have to do with Apple? (On this "Applecentric" news site)  image

Apple is a phone company.  This is a competitor.  Everybody point and laugh at the competitors failing.

Seriously, if the 15,000 number is right, that's pretty pathetic.  The commercials alone set them back more than they'll ever recoup from this thing.

• Reply 46 of 48
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

[...] this is somewhat surprising, if true. I'll wait until AT&T kills it officially before I believe this news.

I respect your healthy skepticism. Such "insiders" also told us that Panasonic was getting out of the TV business.

It could very well be true, but we won't know for sure until we have evidence more reliable than an anonymous source.

• Reply 47 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Too bad HTC can't seem to score a break against the Samsung hype machine.

It would be nice to have another player pushing competition and innovation, but I can't say I'm disappointed that the social media phone hasn't taken off. Facebook and Twitter have betrayed their benefits and become such vacuous, ego-prodding attention vacuums that it pained me to imagine one of them becoming the core of people's interaction. Not because I begrudge anyone else the experience, but because i don't want it to become so ubiquitous that it's no longer practical to just opt out.

I share your sympathy for HTC, but hope they'll find more socially-progressinve ways to achieve success. One might argue whether Apple's efforts in areas such as Messages, FaceTime and AirPlay have been drivers of iOS's success, but at least they're aimed at improving interactions between people instead of trivializing them and putting them up for sale.

• Reply 48 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

The thing that bothers me is when a Apple fanboy gets happy about not getting the choice to run an app. 

In other words, the thing that bothers you is when other people don't think what you think? Wow, that truly is a horrible state of affairs...you must cry yourself to sleep each night.

Since there's no path from what he wrote to your conclusion, I gotta figure you drove through somebody's yard to get to your response.

He said it's strange to be so preoccupied with seeing others fail that one would present the absence of choice for themselves as being positive as long as it hurts the competition.

"Yay! Their hot dog cart is failing!"

"But you don't have any hot dogs either."

"Yeah, well, at least now they won't!"

It's not about whether he, you or I have any desire to use the app, or wanting others to think what he thinks. He said it's objectively peculiar to celebrate a supposed "victory" of sorts when you lose as much as your adversary.