BlackBerry BBM coming to Apple's iOS, Google Android this summer

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BlackBerry's BBM messaging service will go cross-platform this summer, when official BBM applications will launch on iOS and Android.

BBM

BBM will be compatible with iOS 6 and Android 4.0 when it debuts this summer. The initial release will include multi-person chats, as well as the ability to share photos and voice notes.

The move will end exclusivity for one of the most popular features from the BlackBerry platform.

"The time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service," Andrew Bocking, executive vice president of Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said in a press release. "BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We?re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community."

Apple has its own proprietary messaging service known as iMessage. It allows users of Apple products ? including iPhones, iPads and Macs ??to chat with one another, but iMessage is not available on competing platforms like Android.

Features including voice, screen sharing and channels are planned for future BBM updates. BBM Channels will allow individuals and groups to create a dedicated channel and share information with followers, similar to Twitter.

According to BlackBerry, BBM has more than 60 million monthly active users, and more than 51 million of those people use BBM for an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    smart move... it may end up being the messaging service to rule them all.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

Great news! Now to find someone who actually owns a blackberry.....

• Reply 3 of 32
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    This will help them make a graceful exit out of the hardware business.

Just point to the fabulous profitability of the messaging business and quietly kill the phone without admitting failure.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    90 minutes a day. Damn.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

It may be the push needed for Apple to make iMessage the messaging service to rule them all.

• Reply 6 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If I flip through my messages they are all becoming blue, meaning most of my friends use iMessage. So this is not for me, but probably welcome to some. I wonder if this takes off or not.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Maybe.  But I think the fact that BBM will now be reviewed and compared with any other messaging service (in that it has now lost it's uniqueness), will be interesting.  I'm not so sure it is the best or most secure messaging app out there.  

This is a win for consumers in that now we will be able to directly compare the products without worrying about all that antiquated BBM server crapola.  

The main metric here is whether the people still using BBM on Blackberry are still using it because

a) it's a superior service. 

or

b) they've been "trapped" on the service as all their friends are on BBM.  

I'm sure Blackberry itself thinks it's "a", but it could easily be "b."  

If it's "a" Blackberry's hardware sales should stabilise and even go up, if it's "b" then it's simply a postponement of the long slow inevitable decline.  

• Reply 8 of 32
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Just in time for Google's Babel... is that what they mean for "the time is right" ?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mastericmasteric Posts: 89member

This is a smart move on RIM's part. I have a number of friends who use WhatsApp messenger to chat across hardware platform to people with Android, BB, and Apple phones. Would they be using WhatsApp today if BBM was cross-platform a year or two ago? Probably not.

RIM is a little late to the table with this, but I think it is a good move for them to make now. 

• Reply 10 of 32
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    iMessage
    WhatsApp

BBM's already redundant.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I am hoping Apple will get a clue and move iMessage and Facetime cross platform too...

• Reply 12 of 32
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

iMessage

WhatsApp

BBM's already redundant.

apple doesn't give a **** about other platforms; whatsapp looks bad.

bbm can do it right

• Reply 13 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

I am hoping Apple will get a clue and move iMessage and Facetime cross platform too...

why do you care?

• Reply 14 of 32
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'm not sure this is a good move for Blackberry. How many BB phone owners keep upgrading to new BB phones because a large group of them use BBM to communicate? Groups like that (usually female who text continuously) don't really know or care about phones so they stick with the BB phones.

As soon as BBM comes along on other phones, their partners will inform them that they can get an iPhone and still send continuous inane drivel FOC to all of their "bezzies". BB retails less hardware and eventually becomes a software only business, sells the hardware side and an Apple lead consortium picks up their patents.

BBM on the BB phones actually sold the phones,

how is BB going to make money from BBM on other platforms? Sell the app or adverts?

• Reply 15 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
  • Reply 16 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

why do you care?

Possibly to use facetime and imessage with people who do not have an iphone. (Which is still most of the population) Besides according to Steve Jobs Facetime was going to be open. 

• Reply 17 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Quote:

why do you care?

Possibly to use facetime and imessage with people who do not have an iphone. (Which is still most of the population) Besides according to Steve Jobs Facetime was going to be open. 

And why do you care about his possible answer?

• Reply 18 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

And why do you care about his possible answer?

Okay, gotta ask, why do you care so much about what AvS cares about?

• Reply 19 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    Great news! Now to find someone who actually owns a blackberry.....

10 billion messages a day. Can you read?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    As a person who loves Apple products and iMessage, I'd love to see Apple release an Android client for iMessage. I'd benefit.