Google tells Microsoft to take down unofficial YouTube app from Windows Phone store due to lack of a

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

They aren't stealing intellectual property. ...

Yes, they are. 

"Inaddition to violating those provisions of the Terms of Service, your application also uses YouTube’s protected trademarks in ways that likely confuse consumers as to the source of the application and whether it is affiliated with or approved by YouTube. The YouTube API Branding Guidelines (https://developers.google.com/youtube/branding) state that you may never use the YouTube logo or theYouTube name in conjunction with the overall name or description of your application, product or service." 

• Reply 22 of 49
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    There are many many things that won't "kill you" that are still reprehensible, awful, nasty etc. IMO anyone who puts up with advertising is a fool of gigantic proportions.  

Personally I'm offended (and sometimes enraged) by the fact that one often gets a 30 second ad in font of a web video clip that is itself only a minute long.  If they did that on TV an hour long show would be 30 minutes or less.  It's already pretty outrageous that it's only 50 minutes now.  

Adverts are nasty and advertising is an entire industry based on deception.  Adverts are full of lies and half truths, they're usually misogynistic, sexist, violent or insensitive in a variety of other ways.  

If you hate ads so much, do you use Adblock on AppleInsider?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Microsoft is just saying, "F**k it, I don't care"

Just like Google said when they reverse engineered Java and created Dalvik.

• Reply 24 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you hate ads so much, do you use Adblock on AppleInsider?

Does Google allow Adblock in the Chrome web store?

Google removed this (link now dead):-

Chrome Web Store - Downloadify

Download every spotify song for free

If Google is prepared to dish it out they should also be prepared to take it.

Microsoft should rebadge and rename their application to "Bing TV" and be done with the copyright claims.

• Reply 25 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Adverts are nasty and advertising is an entire industry based on deception.  

During the trial period some cases of serious injury or death have occurred. If you experience death, stop taking the medication immediately and consult a mortician.

• Reply 26 of 49
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Adverts are nasty and advertising is an entire industry based on deception.  Adverts are full of lies and half truths, they're usually misogynistic, sexist, violent or insensitive in a variety of other ways.  
    Quite a generalization. I think you left out the word 'bad' a couple of places. If you made something you thought you could sell would you be a terrible person if told people about it? I too find a lot of advertising very annoying and demeaning, as well as endorsing stereotypes, but generally I'd qualify that as 'bad' advertising. Another issue is where advertising appears, and how intrusive it is. But to advertise ones goods is not inherently evil.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Well, now the shoe's on the other foot.  I seem to recall Google trying to build a TV platform by scraping "free" web feeds from the broadcast networks, only to cry foul when the networks began blocking those feeds from Google TV devices.  Apparently, the networks didn't care to hand a valuable treasure trove of user data over to Google without getting something in return.  Everybody just wants to get paid for their content, but Google's entire business model centers around devaluing everybody else's services by subsidizing their own offerings with ads and trying every angle to distribute content without paying for it.

• Reply 28 of 49
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

I like the Microsoft's answer image.

Anyway, this Google's whining shows that they are really full of crap with their so-called innovations...They are vultures earning money from ineffective adverts and not from quality products or services. They are inflating price of products you pay for. Same as FB.

• Reply 29 of 49
    seafoxseafox Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The only thing I think is fishy is the ability to download; otherwise, I'm guessing the app merely accesses the web, re-skins it, and blocks ads. Didn't think that's illegal.

Nothing really fishy about the downloading. You have to download the video to view it to begin with, this is simply saving the stream to to a file easily. People used to do the same thing by fishing through their browser cache years ago when video streaming was still a new thing. There are a dozen Firefox extensions that will allow you to save videos or audio streams from websites, including YouTube.

• Reply 30 of 49
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

MS should not have to take down their YouTube Client.

Google scans everybody's sites on the web and creates links to their data.

MS Should fight for an OPEN & FREE internet.

The MS Client is actually nicer than Google's own client.

Yes indeed, I remember GoogleTV doing the same thing with broadcaster's open content.

Look at all the Twitter clients available... You don't see Twitter complaining.

• Reply 31 of 49
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    bullhead wrote: »
    Microsoft supposedly values others intellectual property. After all they sued everyone under the sun who uses Android for "stealing their intellectual property", yet here they show their true colors and get caught stealing others intellectual property. Typical Microsoft.
    More like typical Google who claim they promote open standards.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,351moderator
    Now that's what I call EVIL to the core.

What ever happened to "OPEN".

They're open as long as they're being paid. I use a Flash blocker on Youtube to get MP4 video loading in Quicktime and I've noticed on a few occasions that the video won't load. If I right-click and restore Flash, it works fine but there's an advert in there that wouldn't show with the MP4 version. It's not a problem that they do that as that's how they monetize content but I don't think they are open enough with their fans about the fact that their number one priority is advertising and when an open standard like HTML 5 doesn't let them monetize content or protect it via DRM, they'll favour proprietary formats like Flash.

It's the fans who go on about Android and Larry Page comes out and says Android actually isn't critical to their success - what's important is that people use their services, whether that's via their own OS or someone else's. The reason Android exists most likely is that Google realised that without smartphones targeting low-end customers (which Apple won't do as they have a minimum quality bar), they'd lose out to someone like Microsoft who certainly wouldn't promote their services. Android fans dismiss the idea that Samsung will drop Android in favour of Tizen because customers won't buy the hardware. If Android was so important, how come Samsung is making 95% of all the profit?:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/samsung-estimated-to-make-95-percent-of-android-device-profits/

People are buying Samsung for the hardware not for Android and that's propping up the entire eco-system. If they drop Android, customers will still buy Samsung for the hardware. Tizen runs Android apps through a compatibility layer but gradually, Samsung will convince people to shop at the Samsung app store. That means Android profitability, especially for developers, plummets.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Coming here to read about news from Apple, I find Google, M$, and a lot of Samsung stuff instead.

Oh well! Still hoping for a change! image

• Reply 34 of 49
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

MS should not have to take down their YouTube Client.

Google scans everybody's sites on the web and creates links to their data.

MS Should fight for an OPEN & FREE internet.

The MS Client is actually nicer than Google's own client.

Yes indeed, I remember GoogleTV doing the same thing with broadcaster's open content.

Look at all the Twitter clients available... You don't see Twitter complaining.

right. no company, not even IBM, has done as much as Microsoft to cripple innovation and stifle interoperability.  Why doesn't Microsoft open its IM protocol, directx, exchange protocols, office formats (the ISO xml nonsense they bribed their way through committee is not open in any way shape or form), etc... so Google and others can interop with them?  

• Reply 35 of 49
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

More like typical Google who claim they promote open standards.

what protocols has microsoft opened up?  have they shared their IM protocol with everyone?  have they shared exchange protocols with everyone?  how about their proprietary patent crippled office file formats?  Again, the ISO "standard" is worthless with its undocument tags like: "<doAsWord95>"  why didnt Microsoft use the existing ODF formats which were already ISO standards?   How about Microsoft open DirectX?

• Reply 36 of 49
    davendaven Posts: 698member
    I think it is great that MS gives Google a taste of it's own medicine.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    P.s. I use McTube on my iPad which also lets you cache videos and eliminates Google ads. It does have ads of its own but they are minimally intrusive.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Looks like google leaned on the mctube developer. There is now an "update" to mctube that removes the cache feature. There is an "update" I'll never make.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Way to go, Microsoft! Lets see how Google likes getting scroogled!
  • Reply 40 of 49

If google wants Microsoft to take down the youtube app then google should make their own wp8  app. It is that simple.