Google tells Microsoft to take down unofficial YouTube app from Windows Phone store due to lack of a

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    In general Id say if you use some ones feeds you should obay there terms, but this is google. They crawl sites for pictures, news etc and strip out your ads. Then the only way to stop them is for you to put a file on your server to say "please don't steel from me" and this is somehow fine.

As foe ad blocks, i don't see the issue. People should be able to use whatever they want to browse the web. If someone's website doesn't manage to show its ads then that's the sites fault. Plus so you ever think about how much you are paying in bandwidth for the ads?
  • Reply 42 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

If google wants Microsoft to take down the youtube app then google should make their own wp8  app. It is that simple.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Google has the right to protect the use of their property without being forced to provide a solution if they so desire.

Now, what I'm sure they can't do is disallow all access to YouTube via Microsoft products (have the site check for a version of Windows; if so, blank page, if not, YouTube), for example.

• Reply 43 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

If google wants Microsoft to take down the youtube app then google should make their own wp8  app. It is that simple.

Microsoft should be perfectly capable of creating a YouTube app that respects the TOS. They try to blame it on not having access to the proper API's IIRC, yet somehow they worked it out for their XBox didn't they? AFAIK YouTube access works as it should there.

Bogus excuse IMHO.

• Reply 44 of 49
    davendaven Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Microsoft should be perfectly capable of creating a YouTube app that respects the TOS. They try to blame it on not having access to the proper API's IIRC, yet somehow they worked it out for their XBox didn't they? AFAIK YouTube access works as it should there.

Bogus excuse IMHO.

Google should have been perfectly capable of creating a phone OS that respected Oracle's TOS for Java. Instead Google shafts Oracle and copies the Java headers.  Google also doesn't respect copyrights on many other fronts (think books, copyrighted videos, music, etc.) yet they want their advertising money.

Earning money off the copyrighted products produced by others is pretty darn slimy!

• Reply 45 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Google should have been perfectly capable of creating a phone OS that respected Oracle's TOS for Java. Instead Google shafts Oracle and copies the Java headers.  Google also doesn't respect copyrights on many other fronts (think books, copyrighted videos, music, etc.) yet they want their advertising money.

Earning money off the copyrighted products produced by others is pretty darn slimy!

And whether or not any of that is true doesn't change a thing about Microsoft's YouTube app for Wind Phone8. If MS can do it properly for the XBox why do you think they chose not to for the phones? If they're benefiting a MS product and blocking someone else's ability to monetize their own content it would be equally as slimy if not worse, would it not?

• Reply 46 of 49
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If they did that on TV an hour long show would be 30 minutes or less.  It's already pretty outrageous that it's only 50 minutes now.

44, actually.

• Reply 47 of 49

You're assuming that Microsoft made the app for the Xbox.  It is possible that either Google made it for the Xbox, or that Microsoft made it for the Xbox and the APIs are under NDA.

• Reply 48 of 49
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    v5v wrote: »
    44, actually.
    Depends on country, UK is 50 mins as the regulator prevents it going any lower.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    To my knowledge the app was never great anyway. I believe you were limited to a resolution of 480i.