DOJ: Email from Steve Jobs implies Apple wanted to create falsely inflated e-book pricing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    nsgarvnsgarv Posts: 7member
    So... How is this illegal. Sounds like free market capitalism to me.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    The DOJ is full of it and they know it.
    They will lose.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So an analysis of possible prices based on physical books and Amazon pricing.

Has anyone told the DoJ that an implication is not conclusive evidence, particularly as relates to hearsay where the writer of the email is not available to clarify the true meaning.

Apple will be exonerated, they have done nothing wrong.

Maybe Steve Jobs should recuse himself from the investigation...
  • Reply 24 of 88
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Steve Jobs quote: "our motives are pure"

Veeeery pure indeed! Hey, let's raise the books prices and see if we can PROFIT!

• Reply 25 of 88
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    superbass wrote: »
    Am I the only one surprised and disappointed that Jobs was colluding with Rupert Murdoch directly? Not just the fact that Murdoch is one of the worst humans on the planet, but just how stupid this is in the internet age? Shouldn't there have been at least a go-between or two when they're corresponding about fixing prices so the companies could have downplayed it somehow?

All this certainly now explains the WSJ being relentless against Apple...
  • Reply 26 of 88
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    enzos wrote: »
    The full letter confirms Jobs and Apple as fair and honest traders. End of story.

The DoJ will only submit...

James,

Our proposal does set [...] higher prices because we are all pretty [...]

Regards,
    Steve

...In other news, the Department Of Justice has decided to change its name to the Ministry Of Truth,,,
  • Reply 27 of 88
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    F*** it, the email seems super clear to me. There were two price points that could work, and only one that Apple was willing to work with.

Is the DOJ that stupid in the USA? Or does it work for Amazon? Department of Amazon Justice?
  • Reply 28 of 88
    widowsoftwidowsoft Posts: 17member
    It is obvious from comment that Murdoch wanted more and Steve said try at this price but anymore you will fail
  • Reply 29 of 88
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    lol - is that what their case rests on? Truly hopeless.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    leavingthebiggleavingthebigg Posts: 1,291member
    In a weird kind of way I am thinking that DOJ is attacking Apple as a ruse to be able to attack Amazon. Since Amazon worked with the DOJ against Apple a lot of evidence was collected and the DOJ saw that in order to break up the Amazon monopoly Apple had to present the data showing the monopolistic practices that Amazon had and has forced upon book publishers. Once all of the information becomes public I think Apple will be exonerated and the book publishers will then be in a position of power to stop being pawns for Amazon. Let's see what happens.

On a different note I used Siri to type this.
  • Reply 31 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Am I the only one surprised and disappointed that Jobs was colluding with Rupert Murdoch directly? Not just the fact that Murdoch is one of the worst humans on the planet, but just how stupid this is in the internet age? Shouldn't there have been at least a go-between or two when they're corresponding about fixing prices so the companies could have downplayed it somehow?

Definitely disappointed about working with Murdoch.

• Reply 32 of 88
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It seems that wall degree plaque was purchased off the Internet for $9.99 along with the degree, going by the complete lack of understanding of the law that the perpetrators of this farcical nonsense portray.

If they'd bought that plaque from Apple, it would have been $12.99...

I think the important thing in the email isn't the discussion of price, it's the repeated use of "we all" in the text: "...we'll all fail.", "...we can all...". It sort of blows away the concept that Apple was negotiating in a vacuum with the book publishers. And that was part of Apple's claim, that they negotiated individually with the book publishers. They all knew what Apple was doing. Couple that with Apple requirement that publisher's couldn't let other book sellers sell at a cheaper price and the switch to the agency model.

• Reply 33 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This is what passes off for evidence at the DoJ!?

They would be a laughable bunch if they didn't have such untrammeled prosecutorial power.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    caliminius wrote: »

I think the important thing in the email isn't the discussion of price, it's the repeated use of "we all" in the text: "...we'll all fail.", "...we can all...". It sort of blows away the concept that Apple was negotiating in a vacuum with the book publishers. And that was part of Apple's claim, that they negotiated individually with the book publishers. They all knew what Apple was doing. Couple that with Apple requirement that publisher's couldn't let other book sellers sell at a cheaper price and the switch to the agency model.

I didn't see a mention of other publishers. "We" can describe just two people/entities.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klark Kent View Post

Why?

Both men had visions and created empires based on bringing them about.

From what was said in the article both men shared a similar idea of keeping their respective corporate cultures alive and active.

Both had stunning successes and equally spectacular failures.

They had a lot in common.

• Reply 36 of 88
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klark Kent View Post

Quick you two should update your resumes just in case the board does can Tim Cook. Obviously you know things about Murdoch that Steve was unaware of.   What was Rupert doing that was so evil and different from any other new organization?  Was he snipping the spinal cords of babies?  Using the DoJ to wiretap reporters phone lines? Using the IRS to shutdown his competition?

Is Rupert a bad guy? I don't know, but there is very little difference between how his companies are run to those of NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS groups.  Steve's number one job was to watch out for Apple's interests, not police organizations/people you don't like.

• Reply 37 of 88
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Steve Jobs quote: "our motives are pure"

Veeeery pure indeed! Hey, let's raise the books prices and see if we can PROFIT!

And what's wrong with that?

• Reply 38 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

We, as in Apple and Harper Collins.

One bookstore + one publisher = "we".

• Reply 39 of 88
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    klark kent wrote: »

The guy is the CEO of one of the largest media conglomerates and you expect Jobs is going to snub the guy?
  • Reply 40 of 88
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    caliminius wrote: »

We can be just two, but it does not matter if the we refers to Apple and all the publishers. Apple can tell one publisher it has other publishers on board as long as Apple worked out the deals independently. That is a common sales technique. You tell one party you wish to sell to that another competing party is on board. Nothing wrong with that.