DOJ: Email from Steve Jobs implies Apple wanted to create falsely inflated e-book pricing

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why didn't they do it when they had free rein for years before? What sense does killing off the publishers make? These are old companies with deep pockets, and they should've either released individual apps or made a unified marketplace across all platforms.

Amazon was the main ebook vendor but they were still competing against traditional book sales so they couldn't raise the prices to normal levels and still expect to maintain their advantage. Remember that people are still weary of digital items as many think it's completely free to produce 2 or more copies and it's so easy to steal, even when DRM was originally applied, not to mention the psychological affect of having a tangible item one can touch and feel. Bottom line: If Amazon didn't use dumping to capture the ebook market they certainly wouldn't have had the position they had, and perhaps the ebook market may have never really caught on too well. Remember that convenience is exceedingly powerful decision makers for consumers.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Amazon was the main ebook vendor but they were still competing against traditional book sales so they couldn't raise the prices to normal levels and still expect to maintain, in their advantage. Remember that people are still weary of digital items as many think it's completely free to produce 2 or more copies and it's so easy to steal, even when DRM was originally applied, not to mention the psychological affect of having a tangible item one can touch and feel. Bottom line: If Amazon didn't use dumping to capture the ebook market they certainly wouldn't have had the position they had, and perhaps the ebook market may have never really caught on too well. Remember that convenience is exceedingly powerful decision makers for consumers.

I'd agree with you if they were selling all ebooks at cost or for a loss but that wasn't the case. I would've held out the digital form for at least a month like the movie industry does with DVDs. And if Amazon doesn't want to sell the hardcover fine because the best seller buying crowd has always gone to bookstores, or sell it through their own website.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    I'd agree with you if they were selling all ebooks at cost or for a loss but that wasn't the case. I would've held out the digital form for at least a month like the movie industry does with DVDs. And if Amazon doesn't want to sell the hardcover fine because the best seller buying crowd has always gone to bookstores, or sell it through their own website.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if complete lack of interest in ebooks makes me more or less objective in such a discussion. I don't care for eInk display as dark grey on light grey looks awful (although Paperwhite piqued my interest) or for reading on my iPad. I understand the benefits of the medium but I just can't make the switch, which is doubly odd since I tend to adopt technology quickly if it's more convenient and many techtarded people I know have all but given up physical books years ago.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if complete lack of interest in ebooks makes me more or less objective in such a discussion. I don't care for eInk display as dark grey on light grey looks awful (although Paperwhite piqued my interest) or for reading on my iPad. I understand the benefits of the medium but I just can't make the switch, which is doubly odd since I tend to adopt technology quickly if it's more convenient and many techtarded people I know have all but given up physical books years ago.

I'm with you for the most part Soli. I've purchased a few eBooks, and all have been titles that either me or my wife should have been looking forward to. So far neither of us find digital books to be even remotely as satisfying as holding a real, honest-to-goodness printed book in our hands while curled up on the couch. e-magazines have been a different experience, particularly for me with active links to sub-stories, images, related topics and other add-on content. The print version of SI can't hold a candle to the digital version IMHO. With eBooks it's been pretty much wasted money.

• Reply 85 of 88

Well even Gruber admitted that reading a ebook on a eInk device makes for a better reading experience.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    Well even Gruber admitted that reading a ebook on a eInk device makes for a better reading experience.

Not for me. I would choose a tablet over an eReader every time. The dark grey on light grey is the worse of all options for my tastes. Then iPad/Kindle App, then iPad/iBooks (they just look better), and the best experience is physical book.
  • Reply 87 of 88
    Not for me. I would choose a tablet over an eReader every time. The dark grey on light grey is the worse of all options for my tastes. Then iPad/Kindle App, then iPad/iBooks (they just look better), and the best experience is physical book.

Choice is great, is it not? Though it may seem like I'm siding with Amazon, in reality I'm not. I'm always for more choices not less.
  • Reply 88 of 88
    jregoodenjregooden Posts: 13member
    Amazon priced the books below market value and Jobs was trying to propose a fair market price. The DoJ has its work cut out...