Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Amen to this. Please go to apple.com/feedback and report it.

Bugs the tar out of me.

Also, I have a similar problem where you switch from music to somewhere else like the App Store and then switch back to music and the song you had selected is no longer selected, is goes back to the first song alphabetically.

Done and done. I completely agree, it's extremely annoying how it always goes back to the beginning of the collection.

• Reply 62 of 68
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelMustard View Post

I wish Apple would get over their fetish with album art and Cover Flow. I wouldn't care if I never saw the stupid and often pretentious graphics again. This also goes for Netflix, where they seem to think all their customers are illiterate, and only want to tap on pretty pictures (which take 50x longer to download) rather than a list of titles, which are far more memory-efficient. Waiting for pictures of titles I will never watch to load, which then cause the app to crash because it ran out of memory, is really damn annoying. Not to mention having to scroll through the stupid icons, which lazily load, again slowing things down and causing more memory pressure. The written word has served humans quite well for the last few thousand years, precisely because it's so efficient. Use it.

Wow, really? well, you are in the minority. Hands down my favorite aspect of iTunes. It sounds pretty pretentious that you are above art. I have very fond memories of flipping through album packaging when either buying or later listening to very influential music - and that created some of the greatest memories I have. Sitting with friends and fam listening to great music and I associate the covers to the experience. People like it. You don't. Click on song view if you are so much more efficient with lists. To me, that view might as well open up in Excel... yesh.

• Reply 63 of 68
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Finally the mini player isn't a complete fail anymore.

For the rest? I'm still considering going back to iTunes 10.

• Reply 64 of 68
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 244member
    websnap wrote: »
    Wow, really? well, you are in the minority. Hands down my favorite aspect of iTunes. It sounds pretty pretentious that you are above art. I have very fond memories of flipping through album packaging when either buying or later listening to very influential music - and that created some of the greatest memories I have. Sitting with friends and fam listening to great music and I associate the covers to the experience. People like it. You don't. Click on song view if you are so much more efficient with lists. To me, that view might as well open up in Excel... yesh.

Agreed! As someone who grew up collecting record albums and reading liner notes, I loved the album art and there are too many classics to list here. Now with iTunes and digital, aside from the music itself, the cover art is what links me to the artist and the fond memories of the analog days.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member

I have good memories of going through our assembled CD collection too. My Uncles and I pooled all of our music together in one amazing listening room with probably around 2000 cd's, tapes and vinyl lining the walls. Analogue, digital... it didn't matter. I never used spines, I always flipped though. Covers are how we know albums. No one has a T-shirt that just says Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. They have a black shirt with a light beam shining through a prism. There is an instant acknowledgement to an emotional connection. I send them a nod, they send one back... neither of us need the track list.

• Reply 66 of 68
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

The mini player looks nicer, but still only scrolls long titles once. Using the Windows version.

• Reply 67 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I'm still using iTunes 9 because of its flexibility - especially being able to scale the artwork in list view as large as I want (and the album names are underneath the artwork instead of to the side). 

I suspect the reason you can't scale the art is that it is no longer implemented as a custom NSView subclass but is just a web page embedded in iTunes. To do zooming they would have to do some tricky Javascript and it probably wouldn't come out that well anyway.

The Apple framework developers have put a lot of effort in to making easy to use controls, with Core Animation for doing awesome zooming and panning, and the iTunes guys don't use any of it, they just do web pages for everything, and it shows.

• Reply 68 of 68
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Restoring album art to list view goes a long way to making iTunes 11 usable again with large libraries. Too bad they make it so convoluted to switch those views though. The iTunes 10 way of just clicking the icon at top right to switch views (including separate list and album list, as well as cover flow) was so much better.

Mini player is much better too, at least scrubbing is back!

Now if only they'd restore the proper title bar, and the now playing album art in the sidebar!