Cook: US-built Mac will be refreshed version of existing product

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 223
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't expect your Windows machine to last as long or retain the resale value of the MacBook line.

I still have the Sony Vaio I used for three years before we switched. It's still going strong. And unlike our old Macs, the optical drive still works!

Resale value matters when you drop close to two large. It's less of a concern when the original purchase is less than half that. Whether an extra thousand bucks winds up in my wallet via resale value or savings on the original purchase doesn't really matter.

• Reply 222 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    v5v wrote: »
    I still have the Sony Vaio I used for three years before we switched. It's still going strong. And unlike our old Macs, the optical drive still works!

Resale value matters when you drop close to two large. It's less of a concern when the original purchase is less than half that. Whether an extra thousand bucks winds up in my wallet via resale value or savings on the original purchase doesn't really matter.

I had a vaio. It only lasted three years before the BSoD. My Mac lasted 7 yrs before dying. And the optical drive did fail mid way through its life.
  • Reply 223 of 223
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I had a vaio. It only lasted three years before the BSoD. My Mac lasted 7 yrs before dying. And the optical drive did fail mid way through its life.

I don't think I ever owned a Vaio. My PowerPC macs were the ones that failed early or started to experience problems. That was a long time ago, and it's anecdotal either way. When people mention bsod or the mac equivalent, I typically ask them if they upgraded ram prior to that. If they have I ask if they've ever tested it. Sometimes it's a much less expensive fix than a motherboard/logic board replacement.