Review: AL13 raises the bar for iPhone bumper design

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    All bumpers and cases are a crime, and detracts away from the beauty of Apple's products.

Wouldn't want to hide this iPhone in a case!
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Given the drop is signal strength, saying that this case 'lowers the bar' for case design would be a more accurate description!
  • Reply 64 of 70
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    This case is awesome! I used an aluminum bumper case prior to this one and while there is a visual difference in reception (I'm running a Cydia tweak that reflects signal strength more accurately), I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of phone calls or an increase in battery drain.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    xstaticaxstatica Posts: 41member
    $75 and it impacts reception? That is precisely why most other covers do not use Aluminum. It doesn't sound like they really researched the most basic aspects of a bumper of case. Why wouldn't you research a material that doesn't interfere from the start?

The most important feature of a phone is the phone signal. Even 15% can be an issue if you are in a fringe area and need to use the phone.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    superdxsuperdx Posts: 67member

You guys were #1 in my mind when compared to 9to5 and MacRumors. I think it's fine if you do a paid review, but you should note it as such. Highly encourage you guys on finding additional revenue streams so you can bring quality news, articles and reviews to your readers. But please don't do this again, or every page you post from now on will leave your readers wondering if you have some sort of commercial bias. 

• Reply 67 of 70
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

All bumpers and cases are a crime, and detracts away from the beauty of Apple's products. Why buy something so nice looking, only to go ahead and cover it up and hide it from the world? It's like marrying a hot model and then forcing her to wear a burka 24-7-365.

People who put bumpers on their phones and people who use cases permanently on their Apple devices reminds me of strange people who keep plastic covers on their sofas at home. I could see using a heavy duty case for an iPhone if I were a soldier serving in Afghanistan or something, but no way should any civilian ever cover up any Apple products with ugly bumpers and cases. It's only a phone, and if it breaks, then either get it repaired or go and get a new one. Or just don't be careless to begin with, and the chances of a phone being damaged is greatly decreased. Do these people also walk around with bicycle helmets on their heads 24-7? Maybe they should.

My iPhone 5 is black and the back scratches easily (remember?).  So I used a mediadevil protector on the front and back (the back aluminum part is matte).  It looks 100% identical to not having a case- but is still protected.  But I still put a bumper around it so It's protected from drops, but I can still show off the beauty of the phone.  I don't: A- feel like using a screen that is cracked or broken if/when it breaks.  And B- I don't want to have the downtime of no phone or spend the time having to go to a store and repair it.  I do put a value to my time.  If I never dropped my phone, I wouldn't have a case.  But I do drop my phone every couple months- maybe because I'm clumsy, I don't know.

• Reply 68 of 70
    I purchased the 4S bumper as a preorder customer in March 2013, and since the first use experienced a loss in signal of at least 50% each time I use it. I live in a large city, where there shouldn't typically be any communication issues and I also had issues while living in California. I wrote the company two emails to date about the return policy for preorder customers (as I received the phone in the mail 30 days after my purchase date) and have received no response or acknowledgement of an issue. It was an expensive purchase and renders my phone almost completely useless - I'm unhappy with the customer service and about the lack of functionality and would never recommend this case to others. The moment I take the case off, my service is restored. If you'd like your phone to behave like one, it is in your best interest to keep this case away from your phone too.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Check out Alchemist, amazing products , based in London, England, they make authentic 24 carat Gold iPhones, also a solid Gold pieces as well if you contact them directly apparently, http://www.gold-alchemist.com and http://www.the-million-dollar-iphone.com/
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Check out Alchemist, amazing products , based in London, England, they make authentic 24 carat Gold iPhones, also a solid Gold pieces as well if you contact them directly apparently, http://www.gold-alchemist.com and http://www.the-million-dollar-iphone.com/