Review: AL13 raises the bar for iPhone bumper design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Why would someone who cares about design create a metal bumper that they had to know would block the antennas? Why is this review so positive? Was this post supposed to come out on April Fools' Day?
  • Reply 22 of 70
    sangssangs Posts: 3member
    So, $80 for a signal blocker. Yeah, that sounds like a wise investment.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mulrich wrote: »
    After reading the article the bumper sounded great. I thought, "maybe I'll splurge and spend $15 on a bumper instead of $5". $80 is ridiculous, even offensive. $20 would even be too much.

Especially for a bumper which has been shown to have a 20 db impact on reception. 20 db is HUGE - far, far more than the 5-10% they're claiming.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Sorry, $79 for a case is too expensive, especially considering the loss of signal. After the 'antenna-gate' mess surrounding iPhone 4, why would they design a case that essentially creates the same effect?
  • Reply 25 of 70
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    "decrease in reception strength of about -20 dBm, "

This is sloppy and the author can't be right. The sentence may also be a double negative.
    20dB is a horrific reduction in signal. They can't have meant that. -20dB IS a reduction. decreasing by -20dB means increasing. -20 dBm (note the m) is an absolute measurement, not a delta. The sentence is like saying reducing by sea-level when they meant reducing TO sea-level.
    The correct wording might have been "decrease in reception TO about -20dBm". Dunno. -20dBm means 100th of a milliWatt. That's an awfully large signal to be expecting to receive. If the cellphone is truly that insensitive with the cover on, I wouldn't expect it to work unless you were leaning against the cell-tower. As I understand it , decent receive sensitivity is around -120dBm which means a 1000000000000th of a milliwatt. See the difference?

So, reducing by 20dB is horrific, likened to to putting the phone in a engineering shielded box. Reducing it to -20dBm is more like clipping the radio out altogether!

On the iPhone, the gaps in the metal are not "through which radio waves can pass". This is ignorant. The reason the gaps are there are so the separate pieces of metal can serve as antenna. What the author said is much like saying that an old fashioned car antenna has the rubber insulator at the base to let the radio waves pass. Also wrong. What the rubber insulator at the base is for is so the antenna is separate electrically from the body of the car. Same with the gaps in the cellphone body.

By putting aluminum willy-nilly around the antenna of the cellphone, the shape of the radiation pattern of the antennas is very badly affected. This kind of tosses out the "design effort" Apple put into making the antennas in the first place. You do NOT want to put metal around the cellphone. This is truly awful. The good news is that your cellphone won't be broken by slamming it into a rock. The bad news is that its usefulness as a cellphone is reduced. Doh!
  • Reply 26 of 70
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    My rubber and plastic bumper case for iPhone 5 weighs [B][SIZE=4]7.76 grams[/SIZE][/B]--or a tad less if totally clean--which is nearly half the weight of "m"s and cost $10 on Amazon in October 2012. I wouldn't want it any heavier, nor would I want metal interfering with reception. No data to support it, but I believe the rubber and plastic combination also provides better shock protection than aluminum.

Typical 2013 reporting style is exhibited here: echo the subject's words without verification. [B][SIZE=4]The Designed by m is almost twice the weight of other bumpers.[/SIZE][/B] It certainly is "incredible" that the weight of the m is nearly half that of others... because it's not.
  • Reply 27 of 70

Ironic that the iPhone 4 bumper supposedly resolves a signal problem, while this one creates one.

• Reply 28 of 70
    I wouldn't buy it, nor any bumper at any price because the iPhone by itself fits perfectly into my belt holster. Anything around the edges or back would cause it not to fit the holster
  • Reply 29 of 70
    jpdlvmhjpdlvmh Posts: 72member

Now, if only Apple had made something that looks like this, we could be on to a winner !

• Reply 30 of 70
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

While the design may be good, the weight ,performance drop and high price definitely kills this accessory.

Why would I want to take away from the reception or increase the weight of the phone so much. The heavier the iphone is the harder it hits the ground and more likely to break.

Bottom Line: These guys haven't accomplished anything.

• Reply 31 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    markroder wrote: »
    "Because the bumper is made from aluminum, it blocks radio signals."

Killer feature.

Classic!
  • Reply 32 of 70
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I bought a bumper at the mall for $15. It fits and looks great, doesn't have logos plastered all over it and didn't need a 2 page article.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Is this article actually an advert or is it a paid placement?

Why would I buy a very expensive casing for my phone that very effectively dampens its radio transmission/reception anyway? This isn't 'news' and if it deserves a place anywhere on this site, it should be on the 'back page'. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

It does read like a paid ad. Sometimes this site's editorial management is inscrutable, a site that wants to be taken at all seriously would avoid even the appearance of conflict of interest.

cpsro wrote: »
    My rubber and plastic bumper case for iPhone 5 weighs 7.76 grams--or a tad less if totally clean--which is nearly half the weight of "m"s and cost $10 on Amazon in October 2012. I wouldn't want it any heavier, nor would I want metal interfering with reception. No data to support it, but I believe the rubber and plastic combination also provides better shock protection than aluminum.

I don't believe aluminum provides more than a small percentage as much shock protection as plastic or rubber.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Mapp told <em>AppleInsider</em> the mantra of his company is to create products with a "clean, simple but awesome design." Sounds a bit like something Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jonathan Ive would say.

no, actually, it does not sound like something Sir Jonathan Ive would say. methinks he can come up with better words than "awesome".

then i stopped reading the advert ...
  • Reply 35 of 70
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    80 bucks for piece of metal that reduces performance and does jack to actually protect the phone if you drop it, and AI considers that a "4 out of 5" product?
    I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous, even for an Apple product.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    eyeakel wrote: »
    Jeez guys, cannot you just appreciate that is a finely crafted product ? It's refreshing to me that in this world where cheap price is worshiped over quality, that there are actually people who still believe in being "craftsmen" rather than just laborers. I wonder if they could just machine small slots in the case where it covers the iPhone antenna windows?

thank you, Designed by m, for your second post.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Mikey C lowers the bar for what goes for an AI article.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

A strange article.

The headline made me think "wow, some sort of breakthrough material or bumper design/look that (somehow) hasn't been done yet? Cool...I'll check this out!"

Not really.

Seriously...it's a bumper. There aren't too many ways to do one, when you think about it (and still have it be legitimately classified as a "bumper"). So the big front-end buildup proved to be a little excessive.

And the breathless gushing came across like a Harry Knowles movie review (which is something no one should ever strive for), which was my second "yeah...I don't know".

The antenna blocking/performance hit and insane price were straws three and four.

Who in the holy hell would pay $80 for something that makes their iPhone perform WORSE? Brainless, "if it's expensive it's automatically good!", form-over-function hipster types, I suppose? But even they sometimes have moments of clarity and good sense.

And, judging by the photos, it's not that "sleekly integrated" and "looks like it's part of the iPhone" as the article tries to make it seem.

Has the 1980's crack epidemic resurfaced at AI HQ? Because somebody's smoking some.

:D

I don't give a rip how "exquisitely designed" or cleverly marketed something is. If it's carrying a nutball price AND creates more problems than it solves, that's not a product or service I want to throw in with. Either of those by themselves would seriously limit its appeal, but here we have both working in tandem...and it's getting this borderline-orgasmic write-up and a 4-out-of-5-stars rating?

"You mean I get to pay 3-4x what I normally would for such a product AND my phone reception gets to suck too? Cool...where do I sign?!?" -- Nobody, ever

• Reply 39 of 70
    pscates wrote: »

"You mean I get to pay 3-4x what I normally would for such a product AND my phone reception gets to suck too? Cool...where do I sign?!?" -- Nobody, ever

sorry, all of your text wouldn't fit on one card.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    "In our testing, we found a decrease in reception strength of about -20 dBm"

Every -10dB is 10 times less signal.

so -20dB is 100 times less signal.

Yeah, you can keep this useless product.