Rumor: Apple testing 1.5" OLED displays for wearable 'iWatch'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Development of Apple's rumored smart watch is allegedly gaining momentum, as a pair of new reports claim the company is testing 1.5-inch OLED screens for a wrist-worn device, and that Foxconn has been contracted to build a trial batch.

The latest rumors on Apple's so-called "iWatch" were highlighted on Monday by Macotakara. The publication spotted pair of reports from Taiwan's Economic Daily News which, like other publications that print unattributed rumors stemming from Apple's supply chain, has a hit-or-miss track record.

iWatchArtist's rendition of purported Apple smartwatch. | Source: Yrving Torrealba

In the first report, the publication claims that Apple is testing organic light emitting diode displays for its anticipated smart watch. The company allegedly tested 1.8-inch panels, but felt they were too big, prompting development to go smaller with 1.5-inch displays.

According to the report, Apple is exploring 1.5-inch OLED touchscreens manufactured by RiTdisplay of Taiwan that use one-glass-solution touch sensors. This would allow the display component to be as thin as possible for the wearable accessory.

It should be noted that rumors for years have claimed that Apple is interested in OLED displays, but to date the company has never used the display technology in any of its devices. OLED screens could, however, be an optimal choice for wearable technology because of their low power consumption levels.

In a second report, the Daily News claims that Foxconn, Apple's longtime manufacturing partner, has already received orders for an "iWatch." However, the initial production run is said to be for no more than a thousand units, as Foxconn is allegedly running a "small-scale trial production."

With "iWatch" rumors heating up, one survey from last month found that 19 percent of consumers are interested in buying such a device from Apple. That exceeds pre-announcement interest in both the iPad and Intel-based Mac hardware.

Rumors of an Apple smart watch began growing earlier this year, when a number of reports claimed that the company is developing a wearable wrist accessory. One such report claimed that the company has a 100-person team working on the project.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Considering the 1" display of the iPod Nano 1.5" seems quite large. If it's not square then the area could be reduced considerably thus making it more realistic. And OLED does make sense on an accessory device, especially if most of the display remains black most of the time. That said, I have zero faith in this rumour.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Considering the 1" display of the iPod Nano 1.5" seems quite large. If it's not square then the area could be reduced considerably thus making it more realistic. And OLED does make sense on an accessory device, especially if most of the display remains black most of the time. That said, I have zero faith in this rumour.

Maybe it's 1.5" and 16:9. You're right in that it can't get much larger… square.

I don't put much faith in the watch rumor in the first place, though if it's the go-between needed to show me iPhone/iPad stuff without depocketing/decasing it, I'm probably all over it.

• Reply 3 of 64
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

This can't be right.  Everyone knows that Apple doesn't have any new products in the pipeline and that their only hope is to release iPhones in different shapes and sizes and at a lower price to stay alive. /s

• Reply 4 of 64
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    This whole watch idea is such a joke. Anyone that would wear one of these needs their head checking. Would look absolutely ridiculous. It will just be a poorer secondary screen to your iphone. Stupid
  • Reply 5 of 64
    tjw wrote: »
    This whole watch idea is such a joke. Anyone that would wear one of these needs their head checking. Would look absolutely ridiculous. It will just be a poorer secondary screen to your iphone. Stupid

People said the same thing about cellphones, too, but those seem pretty popular. I don't think it's wise to deny the wearable computer market and I can see many ways in which Apple could leverage their expertise to make this a great solution for users.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I would not be interested in such a device.  Athletic types might be though.  Runners etc that is.  This is probably a replacement for one of the iPods.

• Reply 7 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    [quote]The publication spotted pair of reports from Taiwan's Economic Daily News which, like other publications that print unattributed rumors stemming from Apple's supply chain, has a hit-or-miss track record.[/quote]

hit-or-miss in AI article speak is code for "totally worthless for anything other than article padding".
  • Reply 8 of 64
    jeffdm wrote: »
    hit-or-miss in AI article speak is code for "totally worthless for anything other than article padding".

Pretty much, but this thread will likely offer many insights and ideas that would have otherwise not happened if this worthless rumour wasn't posted.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    joshuarayerjoshuarayer Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPod Nano that could have been worn as a watch had a 1.54 inch screen, not 1-inch.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP593

• Reply 10 of 64
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

+1

iWatch is just too big to be a usable wearable and/or health monitoring device with the potential addressable market of the current iPod nano customer base which is big but shrinking day by day.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Pretty much, but this thread will like offer many insights and ideas that would have otherwise not happened if this worthless rumour wasn't posted.

:)
  • Reply 12 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    According to the report, Apple is exploring 1.5-inch OLED touchscreens manufactured by RiTdisplay of Taiwan that use one-glass-solution touch sensors. This would allow the display component to be as thin as possible for the wearable accessory.

Also small enough to fit on a TV remote.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jeffdm wrote: »

Otherwise known as "aiPadding".
  • Reply 14 of 64
    The iPod Nano that could have been worn as a watch had a 1.54 inch screen, not 1-inch.

Mea culpa et gratias. That does make the rumour even less reliable knowing it's a size Apple has used before.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would not be interested in such a device.  

I would be. So would three other people I know.

What does that prove?

• Reply 16 of 64
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

+1

iWatch is just too big to be a usable wearable and/or health monitoring device with the potential addressable market of the current iPod nano customer base which is big but shrinking day by day.

What the **** are you talking about? Have you saw one, already?
  • Reply 17 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Interest take on a product you couldn't know anything about.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    kazkamkazkam Posts: 60member

I don't know why so many people are so negative about this rumor. It doesn't matter that you haven't worn a watch in X years, or you think "a watch is just a fashion statement". You are falling into the trap of thinking about a "watch" in terms defined long ago.

I think of this idea as a more functional Google Glass, for your wrist, that doesn't require you to wear glasses, or make you look like as much of a douche.

That said, I hope this rumore comes true. I, for one, am interested to see what Apple could do with a wrist-worn phone/ipod/tablet companion, but I give it a 50% chance of ever coming to fruition.

EDIT: grammatical

• Reply 19 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

In know. Such silliness round here.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    I want one with all the health sensors. I wouldn't have to buy a replacement fitbit then. Otherwise, I can pull my phone out of my pocket, TYVM.