Microsoft unveils 'Xbox One,' a voice-controlled all-in-one entertainment hub

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Nice false concern.

The response to Xbox One has been universally negative from those who use video game consoles to play video games.

We do know Apple has been working on it, because Cook said so himself.

Tim Cook said "television", did he?

But voice and gesture recognition is absolutely the way of the future.

Gesture… in contact with a surface. 

• Reply 142 of 150
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member

Looks like an overweight Beta Max player on a high carb weight gainer diet.

The 'issue' over used games?  Oh dear.  Awaiting further clarity.  Paying a fee to use 'used' games...after having purchased them?

I'll give them a point for having motion and voice control, Skype, TV and Game switching capability?  Games?  Seems nothing more than a moderate PC can do now.  The kinetic stuff I saw demoed in terms of version 2 seems clever.  But I really don't want to jump around.  I'd rather go out and do it for real.  eg skipping in the back yard.  (Great cardio work out...)

This going to sit on top of a Sky Box? :o

It now has Blue Ray?

Whoop de doo.

I guess PS4 has little to fear.

Apple either.  If Apple can sell millions of Apple TV as a 'hobby' we only await the 'real' deal or further evolution of Apple TV.  

Stick in a 'Rogue' class gpu in an iPhone, iPad or A.TV and I feel far more inspired by Apple's eco system than this VHS player wannabee.

As Steve said, 'Microsoft have no taste.'

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 143 of 150
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad1at35 View Post

Oh whoop. Another shiny black box! 0 for design guys.

I used to feel the same way, but recently I looked over at the wall with all the living room electronics and noticed how the "black boxes" all kind of disappear into the woodwork,while the Mac mini, Time Capsule and external drive scream out "Look at MEEEE!" with their bright, shiny finish. A plain, simple, STACKABLE black box is welcome, thank you.

Speaking of which, can't we establish a standard width for AV components so we can pile them up neatly?

• Reply 144 of 150
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

You conveniently left out the quote where you were proven dead wrong- how convenient.  Here it is again:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When someone makes an account based around anti-Apple posts…

Huh?!?! An account based around anti-Apple posts?  The guy made one post- it said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

I cannot wait. Look's amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The response to Xbox One has been universally negative from those who use video game consoles to play video games.

I seem to recall another product being lauded as universally negative.  The iPad.  Maybe we should finally learn to wait and see, huh?

Quote:

Tim Cook said "television", did he?

I didn't mean "television".  In looking back, I see that oneaburns did mention an actual television.  I meant the Apple TV as we know it now.  I was incorrect in reading what he wrote.  As for the Apple TV as we know it now- I really hope it is improved greatly with the next iteration.  I really hope Apple doesn't keep it as a hobby.

Quote:

Gesture… in contact with a surface. 

No.  Gesture... as in Minority Report.  There will be something similar to that one day that works flawlessly and is absolutely brilliant.  I hope Apple is the inventor one of these decades- but I'll be happy if anyone can make something incredible.

• Reply 145 of 150
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You conveniently left out the quote where you were proven dead wrong- how convenient. 

Because I wasn't and what you said is nonsensical.

I seem to recall another product being lauded as universally negative.  The iPad.  Maybe we should finally learn to wait and see, huh?

So the iPad requires an Internet connection to work at all? It requires you to use the gyroscope and camera to use any of its functions? It wasn't backward compatible with any previous iPhone OS apps? image

We don't have to wait.

I didn't mean "television".  In looking back, I see that oneaburns did mention an actual television.  I meant the Apple TV as we know it now. I was incorrect in reading what he wrote. As for the Apple TV as we know it now- I really hope it is improved greatly with the next iteration.  I really hope Apple doesn't keep it as a hobby.

All right, then. Total agreement from me now.

No.  Gesture... as in Minority Report.

Oh, no, then. That's not the future. 

• Reply 146 of 150
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I guess PS4 has little to fear.

Serious question. What have Sony announced that makes PS4 better than this? All I've read is that they announced games, but as the performance of the devices is roughly similar I don't see any reason to think there games will be better. Particularly when the biggest games these days come out on both platforms. I also remember them announcing a Kinect style bar as well, but it used regular cameras so won't even be as good as the original Kinect. So what will actually make the PS4 any better than the Xbox one.

• Reply 147 of 150
    That's like calling Iron Man 3, Iron Man One instead.
    Ha!
  • Reply 148 of 150
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    the XBOne and others are proposing we use a voice and gesture UI, replacing the hand held remote. but is that how most consumers really want to do it? does it "feel right"? assuming it works good. these STB's also will likely have control apps for iOS and Android and Windows Phone (XBox anyway).

It would be nice if the Kinect could recognize the "middle finger gesture" when the XBOX ONE displays the RRoD, apologize and automatically submit a RMA with Microsoft for factory repairs if under warranty.
  • Reply 149 of 150
    morzee94morzee94 Posts: 13member
    Thank you Appleinsider! An unbiased and informative article about a new product, unlike the total bs article after the ps4 announcement!