Microsoft caught lying about tablet size in comparison to Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    slurpy wrote: »
    phrosty23 wrote: »
    This isn't as bad as Apple photoshopping the heck out of Samsung phones to make them appear almost identical to iPhones for their lawsuits.

@ireland, the ad is comparing 64gb models to each other. If you want to go with the Mini, it's $529.

Nice 1st post. Love people who register on Apple sites just to post comments like these. Justifying/defending something like this just to find an excuse to bash Apple because of a previous incident, (which is different in so many ways, because what was being compared were software elements)  because of how much you despise the company. Apparently nothing was worth registering for until this very moment, to make this very comment. I'm sure we'll see a bright future of trolling from you. 

Two dead giveaways to help troll-spotting: "ph" and "z."
  • Reply 22 of 97
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I understand that puffing is a legal practice in marketing and sales but this goes way beyond that.

Did you really need to quote the entire (really any of this) article?

• Reply 23 of 97

No way. Steve Ballmer sees himself as a tough guy who made his millions the hard way...he fought tooth and nail for them and no upstart Apple computer is going to cut into his success.  Microsoft is used to lying about their software with check boxes that said they had "features a,b,c,d,e,f" and their competitors had only a few of these features or charged more money for the same features.  The truth is the Microsoft software never functioned as well and crashed more regularly so the real feature of usefulness was not even there.  This ad will stay in place until the courts force them to change it or they are so embarrassed by the response on the web, that they quietly edit it without admitting anything was wrong.

• Reply 24 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabberwolf View Post

Um the only one lying is the one who wrote this article.

They cropped the picture to make the Asus look bigger

and then complain about it.

I took the time to draw it up in Illustrator by the numbers and this it what it looks like. Not so far off but enough to make you wonder.

And BTW I did go to Microsoft's web page first to make sure what they were presenting.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart

• Reply 25 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Nice 1st post. Love people who register on Apple sites just to post comments like these. Justifying/defending something like this just to find an excuse to bash Apple because of a previous incident, (which is different in so many ways, because what was being compared were software elements)  because of how much you despise the company. Apparently nothing was worth registering for until this very moment, to make this very comment. I'm sure we'll see a bright future of trolling from you. 

No they photoshopped the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to resemble the iPad even more.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Is there any to point to comparing a dud non-starter to the iPad?

Let's see the iPad measured against a device that consumers actually care about. 

• Reply 27 of 97
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I just wanted to comment real quick about the 8GB recovery partition. Windows 8 includes a program that offloads the recovery partition to a USB stick and then deletes and merges the space into C:. All Windows 8 tablets also include a MiniSD card slot for additional storage, I use mine for Skydrive.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    I see a lot more windows lovers here than usual… As far as some of the people saying that Apple and Microsoft are equally dishonest, I would say it's obvious that you are overlooking Microsoft's tactics. if we are going to take every piece of evidence into account that has ever happened, I'm sure Microsoft would have a much longer list of offenses anyway. Lately, Microsoft has been been misleading everyone about just about every company, like calling Google scroogled and their parody of the Gmail man. I'm definitely not a fan of these tactics.

Over all, I'd say it's typical that Microsoft misrepresented the iPad like this.
  • Reply 29 of 97

Quote:

The actual video is real to size :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JMcy5OqZA

You're right the actual usable space is smaller with Windows full 8 on it and a backup partition - which ipad doesn't have.

So what they did was just compare hardware used - regardless of space used features.

I love how apple users are so butt hurt about this they need to create a lie to claim that someone is lying!!

What the hell "video" are you talking about? It's the size representation on microsoft's website it refers to:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart

• Reply 30 of 97
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Here's the missing comparison graphic

• Reply 31 of 97
    I think the blog source is making a mountain out of a ant hill.

No where on that site does it say that the Asus is 10.6", that is the size of the Surface RT, (which would be 48.05 square inches vs 45.16 square inches for the iPad). And I don't see anywhere where it says they claim it has a "bigger" screen. It's possible they updated it after finding the error, but no one made a screen shot of it, so...I don't know what to think here other than Daniel copied a bloggers info without actually checking on it himself.

The disclaimer at the bottom says the images are not to scale. If there was text saying "actual size for comparison", then you guys would have something to gripe about. The Asus, Dell, and Surface were all cropped to the same size according to their bezel's outer perimeter. So a little bit of intelligence and common sense tells you it isn't to scale when one of them has a 10.6" screen and the other two have a 10.1" screen. The HP ENVY x2 is 11.6" (57.53 square inches), and displayed the smallest out of all of them. Shouldn't HP be the one who's pissed here by this logic?

You guys really need to get out if you get your panties all bunched up over an ad that passes all legal guidelines.

• Reply 32 of 97
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A fourth unfavorable comparison Microsoft makes is contrasting Apple's included 5GB of iCloud storage with the free 7GB it offers via SkyDrive. However, iPad users can access both Apple's iCloud and Microsoft's SkyDrive, meaning that it effectively provides 12GB of "free cloud storage" to anyone who wants to sign up for both.

That's a little bit of a stretch.  SkyDrive is presumably pretty deeply integrated (I'll assume, correct me if wrong) into Windows 8, whereas it's only useable from the iPad as an app, so you'll be hard pressed to get other apps to save changes to SkyDrive unless developers have added their own support for that.

Also, Apple "effectively provides 12 GB of free storage"?  Come on now.  If you're going to be that loose then you may as well throw in Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, and any other cloud vendors with freebies into the mix and say that Apple provide dozens of gigabytes of free storage.  Hell, people could sign up to multiple accounts for each and have unlimited free storage.

• Reply 33 of 97
    gvissergvisser Posts: 5member
    > the ASUS VivoTab Smart "has a bigger touchscreen,"
    The keyword here is 'touchscreen', which includes the bezel.
    In inches Microsoft is wrong:
    iPad 7.31 * 9.5 = 69.46 vs VivoTab 6.7 * 10.3 = 69.01 (Staples.com)

But in millimeters Microsoft is correct:
    iPad 185.7 * 241.2 = 44,790.8 vs VivoTab 171 * 262.5 = 44,887.5

Measurements are from manufacturer's website.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member

You want Office on your iPad?

Onlive.

Next impossible task?

• Reply 35 of 97
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badbullet View Post

I think the blog source is making a mountain out of a ant hill.

As far as the images go, the most likely explanation is the simplest one:

The page developer is probably not an expert at sizing graphics exactly, and/or wanted the bezels to line up nice and pretty.  (I'd even half bet that their boss made them do that, so it'd look better.)

The best move is to write MS and let them know about the goof, and see if they change it.  Looks like they already removed the "bigger touchscreen" part.

• Reply 36 of 97
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrosty23 View Post

This isn't as bad as Apple photoshopping the heck out of Samsung phones to make them appear almost identical to iPhones for their lawsuits.

@ireland, the ad is comparing 64gb models to each other. If you want to go with the Mini, it's $529.

What a load of crap. Full disclosure please. Do you work for either Microsoft, Samsung, or one of their partner, affiliate or PR companies?

• Reply 37 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well known sign of inadequacy, lying about your size that is. image

I got a sudden mental image of a Microsoft tablet driving a monster truck.

• Reply 38 of 97
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    agramonte wrote: »
    "One detail Microsoft doesn't mention: the current iPad has sported a Retina Display with a resolution of 2048 by 1536 for years now, while the new Asus Windows tablet has an "HD" resolution of just 1366 x768, more comparable to the original iPad from three years ago"

that is also misleading... you do not get 2048X1536 real estate on an ipad... you do get the full work environment of 1366X768 using windows 8

you cant do a direct resolution comparison - the OS is using the resolution in different ways.

Not sure what you mean by do not get the full screen real estate. The higher resolution on the screen real estate is what makes it retina.
  • Reply 39 of 97

KDarling, that is more than likely the easiest way to explain it. Working in the graphics and advertising field, I've seen plenty of things slapped together in such a manner, without anyone ever second guessing it. It was just a picture cropped and placed. In this case, if all of them had to be of accurate scale, then everything would have been tiny next to the HP, and graphically would have looked weird on the page. I work more on the engineering 3D side of things, but have seen plenty of graphic artist coworkers with no care in the world for specs and reality.

And if they did have the word "bigger" in it before and removed it, that's all perspective. Bigger in length, but not width, nor in a squared measurement. But it would display a HD movie larger. Ads are ads, and will use one advantage to tell how it is better in some way. Just like people do with their resumes. They might have used a piece of software once, so it goes on the resume that they have some experience with it.

• Reply 40 of 97

Quote:

The actual video is real to size :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JMcy5OqZA

You're right the actual usable space is smaller with Windows full 8 on it and a backup partition - which ipad doesn't have.

So what they did was just compare hardware used - regardless of space used features.

I love how apple users are so butt hurt about this they need to create a lie to claim that someone is lying!!

Except for the text of the ad that says the ASUS "has a bigger touchscreen" when it clearly doesn't? And why reference You Tube? Microsoft has all the egregious nonsense right on their own website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare#t1=asus-vivotab-smart