Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

Comments

• Reply 221 of 257
    clayderclayder Posts: 16member
    Please get rid of the "dock shelf".... I can't stand looking at it... and why would I have icons siting on a virtual glass shelf anyways... WHY! Am I supposed to think of them as books? Figurines? Maybe they can add a plant or something in iOS7... Thank goodness Forstall is gone.
  • Reply 222 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

The problem with Apple is that they've been too focused on hardware lately…

Wait, too focused on hardware? image

So I find it odd that Apple has been so hardware centric for years.

I find it odd that you think they've cared about hardware more than software for the past few years.

…either disastrous or ho-hum.

But neither of those are the case.

Apple, if you're reading this, I have all the answers to your problems.  Send me an email and I will gladly come and help map out what needs to be done.

imageimage

You should have put that first so I would have known not to bother reading your post at all. If you actually had any answers, you'd already work for Apple instead of whining about what they're doing "wrong" on forums.

Originally Posted by clayder View Post

Thank goodness Forstall is gone.

You just don't comprehend, do you?

• Reply 223 of 257
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    clayder wrote: »
    Please get rid of the "dock shelf".... I can't stand looking at it... and why would I have icons siting on a virtual glass shelf anyways... WHY! Am I supposed to think of them as books? Figurines? Maybe they can add a plant or something in iOS7... Thank goodness Forstall is gone.
    Of all the things that iOS could or needs to have changed, as discussed in the editorial itself or by others comments on the story, THIS is what you chose to focus on? The dock really bothers you THAT much? I guess I' not seeing the problem.

As for your Forestall comment, all I can say is your condemnation of the man is misdirected imo.
  • Reply 224 of 257
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Just enhance calendar alarms.  Let me set custom snooze times.  

• Reply 225 of 257
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    I don't want iOS to change too much. When I firts started using computers back in 1983 I used to tweak setting 20 times a day even going as far as to edit the registry and over the next 20 years I have reduced changing the setting, wallpapers, addons after addon. Now I get my work done rather than waisting my time like a pubescent schoolboy rushing to tell my friends how cool my desktop icons are or some cool trick. I think that these douchebag blogidiots were like me 30 years ago , wetting themselves over some stupid setting. They are the new geeks, for bleeps sake grow up NEXT
  • Reply 226 of 257
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I think that iOS needs a revamp as well, and not just for UI. It's time for another paradigm shift. Apple essentially invented the modern smartphone interface...heck...one could say that with the exception of BlackBerry, they invented the smartphone itself. They made phones true handheld computers, and of course made "apps" the way of the world.

When I think about the next step, I think it's about app integration with the OS. Right now, one basically has to open an app, then use that app, then close or switch apps to do something else. I have probably a hundred apps, and finding them/selecting them can be difficult--even with folders. What I'd like to see is real voice integration, so that all I have to say is "take a picture"--and the camera app loads. Then, while within the camera app, I can just ask a question like "how many moon missions were there?" Safari or a search app would load. I could say "buy Eagles tickets" and Stubhub or ebay would open. Siri moves in this direction, but one still has to go through some layers such as "shall I search the web for you?"

Also, I'd like to see more personal assistant features. I'd like it to read my e-mail to me in the car, or read my texts, play my voicemails, etc. All of this should be done without me having to select an app.

• Reply 227 of 257
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    To me, saying iOS is "boring" is the same as saying sitting in front of a washing machine is boring. The OS needs to provide simple, elegant and I obstructive functionality. It should be the apps that create the entertainment.
    If that's the case, as more and more apps are starting to become identical across platforms, what's the point of the premium iPhone price?
    The os matters as its the differentiator along with the hardware. Apps mean nothing as all platforms have them.
  • Reply 228 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    poksi wrote: »
    What I meant is that while brushed aluminum looks perfect on computer cases, it looks really poor in the GUI....

You crazy. Ive would never do that.
  • Reply 229 of 257
    clayder wrote: »

Agree with every word you just said. Though, this specific issue bothers me a little less. I'm more bothered with the lack of everyday useful stuff, like a dedicated Dictionary app, omission of the Calculator app on iPad, and up-to-date icons for default and third party Clocks, Weather and Calendar apps. These are the simple kinds of things I want solved. You know, like scrollable folders, short cuts and quick replies.
  • Reply 230 of 257
    It's only a matter of time until iPhones and iPads are running multi-core processors and performing like a desktop system.

This comment is decidedly un-Spam of you.
  • Reply 231 of 257
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    ireland wrote: »
    Agree with every word you just said. Though, this specific issue bothers me a little less. I'm more bothered with the lack of everyday useful stuff, like a dedicated Dictionary app, omission of the Calculator app on iPad, and up-to-date icons for default and third party Clocks, Weather and Calendar apps. These are the simple kinds of things I want solved. You know, like scrollable folders, short cuts and quick replies.

Ireland, what's the issue with the dock loader? Not trying to sound snarky just generally curious. To me it's fine but it seems a lot of people don't care for it and I just want to know why.
  • Reply 232 of 257
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

my wish item is a universal fingerprint-based password API. so every app could use a fingerprint reader in the home button (i assume) instead of conventional text. god i hate passwords. that would be a huge popular hit. of course the rest of the droid mob would copy it ASAP, but Apple would be pushing the technology.

Moto Attrix has a fingerprint reader to unlock the phone (back in 2011)

There are Android libraries that use fingerprints for authentication

http://www.developer.com/ws/android/devices/enable-a-fingerprint-scanner-for-android-on-the-motorola-atrix-4g.html

http://www.neurotechnology.com/verifinger-embedded.html

AuthenTec, the company that supplied the fingerprint technology for the Attrix has sold it to Apple.  So it will eventually show up on iDevices.

• Reply 233 of 257
    Ireland, what's the issue with the dock loader? Not trying to sound snarky just generally curious. To me it's fine but it seems a lot of people don't care for it and I just want to know why.

Functionally it's fine, it's just fairly gaudy and unnecessarily skeuomorphic, I suppose. There's no real need for it to look like an actual shelf. When you think about it, the idea of pressing buttons on a shelf on a touch screen seems entirely absurd.
  • Reply 234 of 257
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

The are already performing like desktop systems from yesterday and tomorrow they will perform like desktop systems of day after tomorrow...image.

However, they will never perform or function as desktop systems. That is why we have desktop systems. Less and less, but still...

As computing power multiplies, iPads will function more like a portal from which you will be able to make requests or give instructions to AI systems in natural language, complete with gestures that are unique to you, instead of having to learn the language of the software.

• Reply 235 of 257
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I'm looking forward to the refresh. I've liked the journey with OS X and enjoyed the progress all along the way. 200+ new features! Bring 'em on.

Here are some things I hope Apple fixes.

Mail: Select All / Delete All

Sync: The truth is in the cloud. I think we need to have backups locally and then trust the cloud. Dropbox works. Flawlessly. I still can't figure out the syncing paradigm for photos between iPhoto on my iMac and my iOS devices. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sync needs to be rock solid across Mail, Notes, Calendars, Music, Podcasts, Photos, and whatever else is offered.

File System: As long as Apple is allowing files to be saved within Apps in iOS, they should rethink how normal people work. Their system is too app-centric and I can never remember where the hell the file is in iOS. It appears Apple has taken baby steps and still tripped all over itself. I can't wait to see new inter-app sharing and features such as being able to open files in various different apps.

Keyboard: I need that 4th row. Check out an awesome App called Write. Sweet.

Printing: I have Printopia and it rules. I'm sure others would like to be able to print.

Interface issues: Notifications and Podcasts and elements of the Safari UI have freakishly small targets to tap. I'd also like to be able to better control my podcast playback while driving. Large buttons, cleanly and clearly separated so I don't hit the wrong one. And remove or change the << button so it doesn't zing to the beginning of the podcast. Make that require a double-tap or something. Better yet, make it so I can just tap the glass on the iPhone to pause whatever is playing. Tap again to resume.

Public spanking: Whoever designed the feature where I grab my newly installed App and try to insert it somewhere logical and icons and folders are flying all over the f'ing place, jumping to completely different screens. For the love of god, find this man and cane him.

• Reply 236 of 257
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As computing power multiplies, iPads will function more like a portal from which you will be able to make requests or give instructions to AI systems in natural language, complete with gestures that are unique to you, instead of having to learn the language of the software.

That's where I was going above.  The next step, in my opinion, is much higher level integration.  Voice interaction and gestures would let one perform tasks independent of having to use an "app."  The app system is great...it was nearly revolutionary back in 2007, but now it's feeling long in the tooth.  One has to sort through various apps to find the one he wants to use.  Then he has to switch to another app.  Other than games, the integration with the OS could be much stronger.  

• Reply 237 of 257
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Remember when the Dock icon for iCal was finally improved to show today's date?

It would be nice if the Weather app icon in iOS actually noted the temperature. Why is it always 73 degrees?

I'd still like to know why the Weather app always reports 73 degrees. Does 73 stand for 1973, first Apple machine?

• Reply 238 of 257
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    matt_s wrote: »
    I'd still like to know why the Weather app always reports 73 degrees. Does 73 stand for 1973, first Apple machine?

I don't know of any reason why they choose 73°F (or 23°C). I've heard for years that 72°F is an ideal indoor room temp. Perhaps Apple keeps their thermostats at 73°F, but I wouldn't put any stake in that. I'd more likely think that it was within a "normal' temp range that also looked good visually at 73 and 23 over 72 and 22 or 74 and 23.
  • Reply 239 of 257
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

The first Apple machine was '76. 73 is just comfortable.

• Reply 240 of 257
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The first Apple machine was '76. 73 is just comfortable.

Perhaps. It would still be nice if it displayed the actual temperature & weather at the current location. It's a bit ridiculous that's it's always 73 no matter what. So much for "smart" phone. eh? ;-)