Samsung breaks smartphone sales record in China for Q1, doubles Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

(leaves AI in disgust)

Bye. We couldn't care less that you're blind, but we're fine that you're leaving.

• Reply 82 of 111
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post

The issue is not really a radio one, it is just about two of the biggest companies in the world who are both used to getting what they want not being able to compromise. China Mobile want a better financial deal and Apple won't set up supporting telecoms (China Telecom and China Unicom) for a fall. Apple could have produced a unit that would work on China Mobile ages ago and it would have been worth it given the numbers they would instantly sell. Apple does not want to offer a different financial package to CM or they will open the door to all the other telecom companies coming back and trying to renegotiate terms.

You think Apple offered the same terms to Verizon and Sprint.  At the point the iPhone was sold on Verizon, Apple needed Verizon more than Verizon needed Apple (a completely different situation from a year earlier with Verizon bleeding from Blackberry losing market share and no Droid in their arsenal).  But hubris kept Apple on AT&T, Verizon started the Droid campaign in the fall of 2010 and the tables had been turned.  If they had got on Verizon earlier, they may well have nipped Android in the bud.  But Sprint had nothing of the sort to negotiate with Apple and got taken to the cleaners as far as the deal was concerned.  It certainly stopped Sprint's bleeding, but they are still paying a huge price for it.  Apple already makes separate deals for different carriers and they obviously have to.  Without Android, that wouldn't have been necessary. 

But you are right about China Mobile and Apple both big enough and wanting deals on their own terms.  Remains to be seen whether China Mobile will turn out to be another Verizon or not.

• Reply 83 of 111
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    os2baba wrote: »
    You think Apple offered the same terms to Verizon and Sprint.  At the point the iPhone was sold on Verizon, Apple needed Verizon more than Verizon needed Apple (a completely different situation from a year earlier with Verizon bleeding from Blackberry losing market share and no Droid in their arsenal).  But hubris kept Apple on AT&T, Verizon started the Droid campaign in the fall of 2010 and the tables had been turned. 

Doubt that. VZN wanted the iPhone. VZN made a deal favorable to Apple. I don't have Verizon branding or Verizon apps on my iPhone. VZN began selling the iPhone 4 in Feb or so (ie mid product year). If Verizon had the upper hand they would probably wait until the new iPhone was release or sold the 4 a lot earlier.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

However, Strategy Analytics is different from say, IDC, who reports such shipments into inventory channels.  

Instead, SA usually analyzes and reports end user sales.   That is, they count up sell-through from both online and physical stores.  

Now, here's a report I'd love to see: http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=reportabstractviewer&a0=8537

C'mon, AI, it's only $6,999! Please?

• Reply 85 of 111
    dadoria2dadoria2 Posts: 16member
    Did I bash apple in any way or did I simply state an observation and experience? You're right though, I didn't hand out official polling flyers to see definitively who had what devices, but in speaking with my family and seeing what devices they had and we hugged and walked around with each other, was telling enough compared to last year. Everyone knows I was an apple fanatic and was shocked to see me with an Android phone. That made us even more aware of what devices we were each using (to the point where it was brought up as joke). I was a apple fan but never have I criticized someone for their choices; I have however criticized their device. The change has been evident in the media as well. Where news channels once used the popular blackberry to depict a phone when referencing phones or stories about phones in the news, an iPhone replaced that and now a Galaxy s3 either replaced or sits beside the iPhone. You can also see the change in TV shows. "Vampire diaries" used to be littered with iPhones, now there's only 1 character left that uses an iPhone. Just watch TV and you'll see your proof that the times and people's preferences are changing. The media always follows the tide of change. I wish the best for apple, I just think 9 months of being stagnant is hurting them. Anyone without their their blinders on and head in the sand will see that.
    flaneur wrote: »
    Not everyone, but it seems that way sometimes. You missed the last one, realitycheck, remember? Turns out he was the old AbsoluteDesignz, who was in turn (probably) the old ZitherZatherZuzz, who was the old ConradJoe, etc., etc.

Dadoria2 would have us believe that he knows that only 3 of his 200 relatives have iPhones, and implies they all changed to big-screen Samsungs, and that these details are at his fingertips.

Does that sound like a believable to you? I would say that sounds like the usual crap from the pro troll pool, but then again he could be for real. If so my apologies to him, but I would say that if you're going to make points here off a survey of your extended family, you should be diligent enough to make it credible. If you don't, understand that you look like you are one of the troll rabble.

I don't care one way or the other about the large-screen debate. Apple will maybe do one when they can do it right. It will take them much longer to do than it would Samsung, because they will be working much harder to fit it into their ecosystem. Meanwhile we have to endure post after post from the trolls and from people like you, who think they percieve a weakness in Apple's edifice over this large-screen business—like they can just churn out a new platform at will, like Samsung can, owning all the tooling like they do, and not caring about the ecosystem, like they don't.
  • Reply 86 of 111
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    dadoria2 wrote: »
    I'm one of 37 grandkids, with 12 aunts and uncles from my mom's side alone. We have an annual reunion each year and this year there were only 3 iPhone out of the 200+ family members that were present. A majority of my family and some friends had mostly galaxy s3s. Last year there were no android phones there at all. I'm a huge apple fan, but since last June, I switched to the gs3 and never looked back. I'm still a huge apple fan but can't help the feeling that they're seriously lacking as of late. Honestly, I've even become frustrated with my ipad. With such a larger screen compared to my old iPhone, why can't I run 2 apps onscreen at once? I hope they make a good change soon so I could come back, I do miss the seamless sync between all my devices. DISCLAINER : THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION AND MINE ALONE. I don't claim to represent the majority.

By your account, more than 100 of your 200 family members purchased a new phone in the last twelve months. You want to stick with that?
  • Reply 87 of 111
    People are so hard on AI... this is 'free' news... you shouldn't be expecting anything.

The reporting style here, even if it's regurgitated is far strong than competing sites.

Also. I like to know how Apple is doing in comparison to the competition...

Apple is in competition with Samsung. Samsung news is relevant to AI readers.

It is not free. It is advertiser supported....
    kdarling wrote: »
    vaguely wrote: »
    Is it SALES or SHIPMENTS? They are not the same thing.

In many reports, they are the same, because shipments to retailers are reported as sales.  That goes for Apple as well.  (They all have to fill inventory channels, too.)

However, <span style="line-height:1.231;">Strategy Analytics is different from say, IDC, who reports such shipments into inventory channels.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Instead, SA usually analyzes and reports end user sales.   That is, they count up sell-through from both online and physical stores.   On the downside, they do not include grey market sales in China, which can be significant at times.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">I cannot say for sure if this report was done that way, but that's what SA usually does.</span>

wovel wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">It is shipments of undefined devices people at strategy analytics decided were smartphones.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">SA's definition: "</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">A smartphone is a handheld device that matches cellular voice and data capabilities with a branded high- level operating system such as Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Symbian, Meego, Tizen, Bada, webOS</span>
    <span style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12.222222328186035px;line-height:normal;"> </span>
    <span style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12.222222328186035px;line-height:normal;">."</span>

So we have no idea if they are actually smartphones or the android feature phones that have been popular in China for the past few years. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 88 of 111
    [QUOTE name="Flaneur" url="/t/157710/samsung-breaks-smartphone-sales-record-in-china-for-q1-doubles-apples-iphone/40#post_2333963"]

Maybe he is trolling, or maybe he is in a family where people actually used to have iPhones, and - not being fanatically devoted to a company like many here - changed their phones because they liked a bigger screen, or other reasons. Is everybody lying?
    [/quote]

More than 100 of 200 bought new phones in the past year..You believe that? No everyone is not lying, but he was clearly exaggerating significantly.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    repperrepper Posts: 2member
    Some of the extreme Apple fanboy fanaticism is interesting...they're even turning on AI. Perhaps you should go to macobserver.com ... where facts and logic have no business being involved in discussion...that is a website paradise for self-stroking Apple fan boys. In the old world of newspapers, we'd call it a rag. Today, it's an Apple troll's best friend.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    repperrepper Posts: 2member

Good points...it's about objective analysis...we don't want AI turning into macobserver.com - which ignores facts and reason, in favor of Apple fanaticism and extreme anti-Samsung rants, with a dash of xenophobia.

• Reply 91 of 111
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    You can also see the change in TV shows. "Vampire diaries" used to be littered with iPhones, now there's only 1 character left that uses an iPhone. Just watch TV and you'll see your proof that the times and people's preferences are changing. The media always follows the tide of change.

Funny you brought that up, I've been seeing a whole lot of Windows 8 phones recently, it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking MS is financing the entire network TV line up.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Did I bash apple in any way or did I simply state an observation and experience? You're right though, I didn't hand out official polling flyers to see definitively who had what devices, but in speaking with my family and seeing what devices they had and we hugged and walked around with each other, was telling enough compared to last year. Everyone knows I was an apple fanatic and was shocked to see me with an Android phone. That made us even more aware of what devices we were each using (to the point where it was brought up as joke). I was a apple fan but never have I criticized someone for their choices; I have however criticized their device. The change has been evident in the media as well. Where news channels once used the popular blackberry to depict a phone when referencing phones or stories about phones in the news, an iPhone replaced that and now a Galaxy s3 either replaced or sits beside the iPhone. You can also see the change in TV shows. "Vampire diaries" used to be littered with iPhones, now there's only 1 character left that uses an iPhone. Just watch TV and you'll see your proof that the times and people's preferences are changing. The media always follows the tide of change. I wish the best for apple, I just think 9 months of being stagnant is hurting them. Anyone without their their blinders on and head in the sand will see that.

". . . nine months of being stagnant" plus your earlier sloppy family story is why you sound like just a run of the mill troll, or, giving you some benfit of doubt, you've swallowed the ordinary troll line completely.

How do you know that Apple is "being stagnant" for however long you want to start counting from? They don't tell you what they are working on, and if Samsung can churn out a new piece of greasy plastic every four months, Apple will be lucky to change a form factor every two years on schedule. You should take this into account, and not expect Apple to crank out stuff like the Koreans. If you're satisfied with what the Koreans make, fine, buy it, tell your whole family to buy them, but don't come here wagging your finger and complaining about small screens.

Apple doesn't work like the others. The iPad mini should have cemented that fact into your brainpan.

You cite the turn in the media against Apple and in favor of Samsung as if it were a spontaneous phenomenon, when you know damn well that Samsung is spending millions to twist public perception. You are making yourself part of that problem, the way I see it.
  • Reply 93 of 111
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    ... You can also see the change in TV shows. "Vampire diaries" used to be littered with iPhones, now there's only 1 character left that uses an iPhone. Just watch TV and you'll see your proof that the times and people's preferences are changing. The media always follows the tide of change. I wish the best for apple, I just think 9 months of being stagnant is hurting them. Anyone without their their blinders on and head in the sand will see that.

Don't be naive. Companies pay for product placement in TV shows and movies. You really think Spider-Man would be using a Sony phone if Sony wasn't producing the movie?

If companies don't pay, you'll notice stickers or post-its hiding the logos.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wovel wrote: »
    More than 100 of 200 bought new phones in the past year..You believe that? No everyone is not lying, but he was clearly exaggerating significantly.

Hey Wovel, old bean, you mean to quote asdasd, not me.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Funny you brought that up, I've been seeing a whole lot of Windows 8 phones recently, it's gotten to the point where I'm thinking MS is financing the entire network TV line up.

That just proofs Dadoria2 theory. It is very sad and Apple needs to address this with new iPhone and iOS. iPhone is just too good to be bypassed by others.

• Reply 96 of 111
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

If you're going to nitpick him, at least be smart enough to realize that a lot of the 200 would be children.  (An adult with kids would think of that right away.)

An astute reader would also presume that he was referring to his impression of those who had smartphones, not everyone with regular phones as well.

So half of the adults with smartphones could probably work out to be about a dozen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

So we have no idea if they are actually smartphones or the android feature phones that have been popular in China for the past few years. Thanks for the clarification.

What Android feature phones?   Samsung has no such thing.

• Reply 97 of 111

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

That just proofs Dadoria2 theory. 

In absolutely no way using any string of logic does it prove anything he said.

It is very sad and Apple needs to address this with new iPhone and iOS.

ENOUGH.

• Reply 98 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how come iPhones still outsell high end Samsung phones?

And who made chips for iPhone?. If Samsung is such bad company then...

• Reply 99 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In absolutely no way using any string of logic does it prove anything he said.

ENOUGH.

Or what? DF

• Reply 100 of 111

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

Or what?

Did I give an ultimatum? image