Cook: Apple sold over 6M Apple TVs in 2012, 13M since launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    ireland wrote: »
    Please use the word culture, not DNA. That's all RDF. It's called company culture, thinking, philosophy, not DNA.

Does it matter what term I used? Obviously that's what it means. Why would that word upset you do much? It's a figure of speech. Or do you think I believe Apple as a company contains actual DNA strands?
  • Reply 42 of 68
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I'm happy with the way the ATV is progressing. I just really really really want to be able to connect a drive full of content directly to the device so it's not dependent on a Mac to play my content.

Oh yeah, and SolipsismX's HDMI pass-through.

• Reply 43 of 68

It is time to set the record straight about how Apple reports its product numbers.

It seems that apple fans are under the false impression that when Apple reports its sales numbers that it means those products are in the end customers hands, that is outright FALSE!

Just like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, BlackBerry, Nokia, ect. Apple has product in the channel inventory that is counted as sold for their quarterly accounting numbers that Apple reports.

I am including a link to an article that explains how Apple really reports its sales number and in the end Apple is no different than Samsung or any other company in how it is reporting its sales numbers.

Example if Apple reports 37 million units sold that does not mean there are 37 million units in purses, pockets and brief cases. There is channel inventory just like other companies so there can effectively be 11 million units that are sitting in inventory still unsold to an end user, i.e. a person on the street but are still counted as sold by Apple.

This is being posted solely to set the record straight about the myth of apples sold numbers are to the final end user.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rG3F6eFX_AsJ:money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_05_09_what_apple_really_means_when_it_says_it_has_sold_a_product.html+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Reply 44 of 68
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Apple may have a grand vision, but Microsoft has a real product with the Xbox one. The AppleTV is not even worth mentioning by comparison.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

"There is a grand vision," Cook replied.

Who was the idiot at AI who chose to write this, without mention that the question Kara Swisher asked Cook "is there a grand vision?" Come on, people. Dodgy reporting.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    slurpy wrote: »
    Does it matter what term I used? Obviously that's what it means. Why would that word upset you do much? It's a figure of speech. Or do you think I believe Apple as a company contains actual DNA strands?

If's a horrible figure of speech. It hints to a point that doesn't ring true, I feel. It feels very RDF.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    ifij775 wrote: »
    Apple may have a grand vision, but Microsoft has a real product with the Xbox one. The AppleTV is not even worth mentioning by comparison.

The Xbox One isn't out yet, and Apple TV costs $99. The 360 launched 8 years ago, sold a total of 70M units in that time, and didn't make MS that much money, relatively. I don't see the comparison. The One is an expensive 8th gen gaming machine that also does TV.

If you asked most teenagers would they like an iPhone 5S (6) and iPad 5 or an Xbox One this Christmas, I'd bet the vast majority of them wouldn't choose the One. And therein lies the problem for this product, the world has moved along a lot in the past 8 years, MS will bring out their new console, and Apple TV remains an impulse buy for most households.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually I'd rather see an Apple TV with a Thunderbolt port. Then we would have an option of a single disk or a disk array.

Allowing direct connection to iTunes Libraries on the network would let you cut the cable and plug the array into an AirPort device. All we need are 802.11ac AirPort devices that have Thunderbolt in back instead of USB.

Originally Posted by habi View Post

Yea appletv could be made better in so many easy ways, but when was it upgraded lastly? I mean even the software...

March 19, 2013.

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

The Xbox One won't even be on the market in 2015. It fails in absolutely every way imaginable that a product could fail, and it's completely illegal in a growing number of countries.

• Reply 49 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It is time to set the record straight about how Apple reports its product numbers.

It seems that apple fans are under the false impression that when Apple reports its sales numbers that it means those products are in the end customers hands, that is outright FALSE!

Just like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, BlackBerry, Nokia, ect. Apple has product in the channel inventory that is counted as sold for their quarterly accounting numbers that Apple reports.

I am including a link to an article that explains how Apple really reports its sales number and in the end Apple is no different than Samsung or any other company in how it is reporting its sales numbers.

Example if Apple reports 37 million units sold that does not mean there are 37 million units in purses, pockets and brief cases. There is channel inventory just like other companies so there can effectively be 11 million units that are sitting in inventory still unsold to an end user, i.e. a person on the street but are still counted as sold by Apple.

This is being posted solely to set the record straight about the myth of apples sold numbers are to the final end user.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rG3F6eFX_AsJ:money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/2013_05_09_what_apple_really_means_when_it_says_it_has_sold_a_product.html+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Blah blah blah. Only Apple reports numbers. They also give an indication on inventory as well.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's confusing is why I can't attach an iTunes Library to the network and stream directly from an AirPort device instead of being forced to have a computer turned on and iTunes open. What's confusing is splitting up the store into three icons and compressing your actual library into one.

I agree to this. But putting a HD on the Apple TV would be a mistake, unless its aim at being a PvR.

Itune in the could

In a sense it did improved with icloud, if you bought you're music, TV, movies on itunes then there is no need to setup a itunes server, you can just stream from the cloud. The problem with that would be children that watch the same thing over and over again. In that case you still need to feed from a local drive, unless you have unlimited bandwigth. 

Drawback of itunes in the cloud:

Another thing I would like to see is a way to turn in DvD's or BR into itunes. That would really help to get rid of the need for a itune server for old movies

Where to put an local itunes server:  Time capsuled

• Reply 51 of 68
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who was the idiot at AI who chose to write this, without mention that the question Kara Swisher asked Cook "is there a grand vision?" Come on, people. Dodgy reporting.

Dumb question from her. She got the answer the question deserved.

• Reply 52 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »

Don't be so harsh! I think it was a solid question¡ I just had no idea All Things D had a contest that allowed a winner from a journalism club to ask CEOs questions on stage. I'm sure she's the most popular girl in her middle school today.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

The thing to watch for at the WWDC is a Apple TV or an Apple TV App store. This could be precursor to a move on the hardware side.

• Reply 54 of 68
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    For me a huge problem with the ATV is that channels like UTube don't show closed captions -- you have very little options with the ATV version. If you go to the browser version you have lots of options. Netflix is also sadly lacking in Captions.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Really? Including your iTunes content, iTunes Match, and iPhoto?
    Stop being the definition of a fanboy. iTunes content- yes- it's called plex. It not only gets iTunes content, but all other content and puts it in one place. Even if you have gibberish for metadata, it cleans it up, automatically gets art, info, Etc. Incredibly useful.
    iTunes Match and iPhoto- no. Although if you want more than 1,000 pictures- you could put tens of thousands on it with the attached storage capacity.
    But pandora, amazon, spotify, BBC, and dozens of other useful apps. Yes
    Headphone jack on remote control- Yes.
    Works as a cable box for two major cable companies- Yes.
    Universal Search via all apps (best feature IMO)- Yes.
    There is no question which is more feature-rich- by a mile. I own 3 ATV3s and no Rokus but I also don't live with my head in the sand (or any other word you'd like to use instead of sand).
  • Reply 56 of 68
    old-wiz wrote: »
    For me a huge problem with the ATV is that channels like UTube don't show closed captions -- you have very little options with the ATV version. If you go to the browser version you have lots of options. Netflix is also sadly lacking in Captions.

I played Arrested Development S04 on Sunday and had to disable subtitles from the Apple TV settings to turn them off. I think I saw method within the Netflix app but I'm not certain. I'm not sure how these differ from CC. I can check later if you'd like.

I did think to myself "what an annoying umber of steps to access is setting."
  • Reply 57 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Icahn check later if you'd like.

I did think to myself "what an annoying umber of steps to access is setting."

Somebody is name-dropping. :)
  • Reply 58 of 68
    March 19, 2013.
    Which was a fantastic update. HBO Mirroring Finally! One of the most requested features of ATV.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    Good
    herbapou wrote: »
    The thing to watch for at the WWDC is a Apple TV or an Apple TV App store. This could be precursor to a move on the hardware side.
    Good point herb. It'd be the perfect time to bring it up too. iOS, OSX, and iOS for Apple TV. That'd be all the software and what a huge bomb to drop. Now I'm more anxious.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    jungmark wrote: »
    Somebody is name-dropping. :)

Lol. I had to look up the name. For someone worth $20 billion and has his hands in companies I'm familiar with in surprised I had never heard of him.