Apple's Cook explains 'one-a-year' iPhone strategy, hints at future models at variable price points

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Wrong because only Apple release numbers.

Really? Would that not be the same type of number that Samsung and the rest release?

If Apple has inventory sitting on shelves just like everyone else how does that make their reporting numbers any different? They are all reporting units shipped including apple. All of them have sold them to someone be it an end user or a reseller including apple.

The myth has been busted.

• Reply 42 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I lot of people dont want to carry 2 devices.

A lot of people don't have a clue that a 5" phone wouldn't allow them to "not carry two devices".

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

No, they are in the store because people want larger screens…

Totally wrong.

• Reply 43 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Really? Would that not be the same type of number that Samsung and the rest release?

If Apple has inventory sitting on shelves just like everyone else how does that make their reporting numbers any different? They are all reporting units shipped including apple. All of them have sold them to someone be it an end user or a reseller including apple.

Hogwash. No ther company release numbers (shipment or otherwise). Sammy gives us percentage change range from last year's percentage change range. Amazon provides "millions and millions". Apple provides total shipments plus a snapshot of inventory (weeks or estimated numbers).
  • Reply 44 of 79

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hogwash. No ther company release numbers (shipment or otherwise). Sammy gives us percentage change range from last year's percentage change range. Amazon provides "millions and millions". Apple provides total shipments plus a snapshot of inventory (weeks or estimated numbers).

Does inventory turnover extend through to point of sale, even at third parties, or does it just go as far as the stores (whichever they happen to be) that sell the product?

Tim Cook has said Apple has a one week turnover for its entire inventory, at any rate.

• Reply 45 of 79
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A lot of people don't have a clue that a 5" phone wouldn't allow them to "not carry two devices".

imo a good phablet size is something more around 5.5" or 6".  5" may be to small for a tablet and too big for a phone. imo 16x9 ratio 7" is too big.  On the other hand my collegue have no problem carrying is 4:3 ratio 8" ipad mini in his pockets. But then again he his build like a football player. Point is choice is what we need. One size fits all is just plain stupid.

On the phone side, a true 16:9 ratio 5" phone would still be narrow enough to fit in any man pockets. But at that side it stops being "the best" phone out there. Problem is nobody wants a phone anymore, they want something to play with apps and browse the net.

If Apple could make an ipad mini that makes calls I would buy that. It  would be a bit too big for my taste, but it would be much better than an iphone 5 for me.

• Reply 46 of 79
    Does inventory turnover extend through to point of sale, even at third parties, or does it just go as far as the stores (whichever they happen to be) that sell the product?

Tim Cook has said Apple has a one week turnover for its entire inventory, at any rate.

I think gatorguy or someone emailed Apple and it said the company gets regular reports from resellers. I'm assuming the inventory is what resellers haven't sold yet.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victory2013 View Post

Yeah. It's busted because of one link on the web. There's thousand links that claimed Elvis still alive. :roll eyes:

• Reply 48 of 79
    apple888apple888 Posts: 1member

I was just in HK and all I can say things have changed, a few years ago you saw iPhone's all over the place, they were big enablers for the users there... then the large screen smartphones started to hit the market and they were a huge hit...  apple has yet to pull it's finger out and respond... and people/users here from the US say thats ok... who needs a larger screen... what do samsung know... stick to apple...

Well all I can say the phone market does not revolve around the US or US telco firms anymore... you guys have to get a grip... Asia will take over the demands for phone design and the western phone makers like apple will have to respond weather they like it or not...

You can see Asians like bigger screens because the one smartphone device becomes their TV, Computer, SMS, Chat, Phone everything they can use it for, in their tiny flats, cramped public transport situations, getting to and from work, crowded shopping areas etc. Also Chinese characters seem to be better on big screens, many Chinese like bigger screens to text on and find the iphones to cramped.

So all I can say is having seen first hand the huge Samsung Phones all over the place in HK, huge marketing campain's for the new S4, samsung is totally in first place on the ground with the users,  with HTC in there with iPhone behind it seems, apple has a little catching up, and US apple users have to take a more worldly view at what smartphone users want, because like it or not you guys are on the way out demanding what the world needs or wants anymore design wise if you know what I am getting at...

Western Phone design and Character Layouts I reckon will soon be dictated by Asian needs and the space their language character require which maybe bigger phones, more "life" solution convergences etc...

So all I can say to US apple fanboys are your going to have to move over, because the asian realm is about to dictate what you get weather you like it or not... and apple will soon change because they will not be able to deny the massive Chinese market for long, otherwise they will be hugely far behind the rest of the asian competition... they do not have long...  and I reckon tim cook knows it...

• Reply 49 of 79

Originally Posted by apple888 View Post

I was just in HK and all I can say things have changed, a few years ago you saw iPhone's all over the place, they were big enablers for the users there... then the large screen smartphones started to hit the market and they were a huge hit...  apple has yet to pull it's finger out and respond... and people/users here from the US say thats ok... who needs a larger screen... what do samsung know... stick to apple...

Again, we believe you as much as the other guy who claims his anecdotal evidence is proof of anything.

Meaning not at all.

Western Phone design and Character Layouts I reckon will soon be dictated by Asian needs and the space their language character require which maybe bigger phones, more "life" solution convergences etc...

HA! Not in the slightest.

So all I can say to US apple fanboys are your going to have to move over, because the asian realm is about to dictate what you get weather you like it or not...

Okay, first, its whether. Second, this is just stupid. You can't believe this.

• Reply 50 of 79
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member
    An iPhone with less functionality, no iTunes and no apps? There would be no profit in that and no way to monetise the user down the line. I can't see why Apple would do that.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    winniewinnie Posts: 17member
    Just have someone in the states purchase a Sligbox, hook it to cable or dish receiver. Purchase Slingbox app.

Works great on iPhone and iPad all over the world. Recorded shows and live shows. Just need food wifi.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    winniewinnie Posts: 17member
    Just have someone in the states purchase a Slingbox, hook it to cable or dish receiver. Purchase Slingbox app.

Works great on iPhone and iPad all over the world. Recorded shows and live shows. Just need food wifi.
  • Reply 53 of 79
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

Tim Cook is so full of shit he doesn't even know it!
  • Reply 54 of 79
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i'm all for a simplified iPhone for my kids:
    2 - 3" screen - easy access to favorites: call mom, call dad, call 911, broadcast location. maybe a few simple/educational apps, shared data plan w/ mom & dad's iPhones.
    free on contract.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

To this, Cook said, "A large screen today comes with a lot of tradeoffs. Customers are clearly looking at the size, but they also look at things like 'do the photos show the proper color? The white balance, the reflectivity, battery life. The longevity of the display.'" According to Cook, customers want Apple to weigh those benefits and make a decision as to what is best.

More out of touch than full of shit I reckon. But what he said here was rather ridiculous. Steve Jobs was quoted in his biography as saying that Tim Cook isn't a product guy...might explain some things then.

• Reply 56 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mj web wrote: »

No, it's you and 1983 who don't know what he's talking about. Apple designs and builds their products for the kind of people who DO pay attention to such things as white balance and color accuracy. They won't make a phone with an OLED screen because it would disgust those users, and them, Apple, to make such a phone. Samsung has no problem with doing it. Apple could never. That's a big difference.

Apple could do a larger-screened phone, but it would have to be LCD at some retina-like density. Not cost-effective, that is competitive, at this time, at this level of the technology. Those are the facts. People who want a larger screen will have to look elsewhere.

Until something like IGZO or a battery breakthrough is ready for mass-market, that is. Then you'll see some movement from Apple on screen size. So who is really full of shit here?

Go ahead and tell us how great HTC is doing with their One now.

By the way, this shows just how much of a product guy Tim Cook really is. He won't bend on display quality.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, we believe you as much as the other guy who claims his anecdotal evidence is proof of anything.

Regarding seeing a lot more big screen Android phones out there:  its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see a lot of those phones now, more than iphones actually.

• Reply 58 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Regarding seeing a lot more big screen Android phones out there:  its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see a lot of those phones now, more than iphones actually.

I don't.

But I just mostly see people in suburban and hipster neighborhoods in L.A. Certified anecdotal evidence.
  • Reply 59 of 79

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

…its more than anecdotal evidence.  I see…

LIKE. EFFING. CLOCKWORK. image

• Reply 60 of 79
    mj web wrote: »

There are design choices, some more important than others. It depends on the customer. But if sales/shipments are any indication, Apple is doing fine.
    herbapou wrote: »

I also see lots of dog sh1t at the park. That doesn't mean people like dog sh1t.