Top iOS apps earn 4.6x more than Android, but Google Play is gaining ground

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iOS App Store remains by far the most profitable place for mobile developers to sell their applications, but Android's Google Play has managed to increase its share of revenue significantly over the last six months.

Distimo


The latest data published this week by mobile app analytics firm Distimo and provided to AppleInsider reveals that the top 200 grossing applications in the iOS App Store in April earned $5.1 million in revenue per day. That's a number 4.6 times higher than the $1.1 million per day earned by the top 200 grossing applications on Android's Google Play marketplace.

In one illustrative example of Apple's dominance, Electronic Arts' The Simpsons: Tapped Out earned $4.8 million combined in the month of April. Of that revenue, 79 percent came from the iOS App Store, while the remaining 21 percent was a result of gamers on Android.

Distimo


But the data also shows that Google Play is gaining ground. While the Android storefront accounted for 19 percent of combined revenue in November of 2012, that share went up by 8 percentage points to 27 percent this April.

As an example of this trend, Blood Brothers by developer Mobage earned $1.8 million combined in April, and 61 percent of that revenue came from Google Play. The remaining 39 percent was generated by customers from Apple's App Store.

Distimo


In other, regional examples, World at Arms by Gameloft earned more from Android than iOS in large countries in Europe, such as the U.K., as well as across Asia. And WhatsApp Messenger, a popular networking client, took in more revenue on Android than iOS in Germany, Italy and Spain.

"Although the vast majority of applications still generate more revenue in the Apple App Store than Google Play, there appears to be a great opportunity in Google Play in terms of revenue," Distimo said in its conclusion, noting to developers that "localization is the key."
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 41
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,459member


    An analysis of potential customers vs sales on each platform would be much more revealing.With Android having a "wider" user base yet still lags in cash flow.

  • Reply 2 of 41
    So Android will hit parity with iOS when it has 15.6 billion units in the wild.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    macharry demacharry de Posts: 126member
    I will publish the relative numbers @ Mac-Harry.de later this day. Apple is really astonishing. Android not. It's just an advertisers system. Not more. Not less.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    It's not surprising that Google is gaining ground. It's not that iOS is losing (it isnt) it's more likely that Android is spreading like a virus and the sheer numbers has to catch up some time.
  • Reply 5 of 41


    From experience with my Nexus 7, I've always found Android apps to be of subpar quality compared to iOS apps (for the most part).

  • Reply 6 of 41
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Does this include iTunes? IBook Store? Newsstand?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    stike vomitstike vomit Posts: 195member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post


    From experience with my Nexus 7, I've always found Android apps to be of subpar quality compared to iOS apps (for the most part).



     


    Name these "subpar" apps.

  • Reply 8 of 41
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,580member
    jungmark wrote: »
    It's not surprising that Google is gaining ground. It's not that iOS is losing (it isnt) it's more likely that Android is spreading like a virus and the sheer numbers has to catch up some time.
    I think there are two "fails" with the article: the idea of catching up you reference, and what is happening on the long tail. They basically combine into the reality that a developer cares about his addressable market for a specific app at a specific price. The problem for Android is the number of people that have little or no interest in buying apps. Many essentially have feature phones independent of what the phone is capable of.

    For the long tail, I would say you need to understand the revenue for the 80th percentile and 40th percentile on each platform to see a real picture of a developer's opportunity. If top apps are close to parity then by the 80th percentile I would expect 10-15% revenue on Android and 40th percentile 5-7% Android.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

    Name these "subpar" apps.


     


    Anything that states it's a tablet app but is really an upscaled phone app.




    Not that the upscaling has much of a way to go these days, what with 6-inch "phones".

  • Reply 10 of 41
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post


    An analysis of potential customers vs sales on each platform would be much more revealing.With Android having a "wider" user base yet still lags in cash flow.



     


    Thats because most of the paid apps in iOS are free on Android.  Dev's relay on ads, but Google must be taking a decent cut on all the ads. But of course, with Android gaining in volume the dev's income is going to rise on that platform.


     


    this is why I keep pounding that Apple should release low end tablets and phones, for the ecosystem critical mass.

  • Reply 11 of 41
    stike vomitstike vomit Posts: 195member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    Anything that states it's a tablet app but is really an upscaled phone app.



     


    Please name some of these apps that state they are for tablets but are actually up-scaled phone apps.


     


    Serious request.

  • Reply 12 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post


     


    Name these "subpar" apps.



     


    Any and all music creation apps on Android.. as well as the majority of drawing apps.  Nothing comes close to ArtRage on iOS.  I'm speaking Android only apps here, not ports of iOS apps to Android.

  • Reply 13 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post


     


    Name these "subpar" apps.



    I would think there would be far too many to name, although maybe not - there are only a couple hundred tablet optimized Android apps versus tens of thousands for the iPad. Anyone who is satisfied using an Android tablet, with its extremely poor and limited app selection, does not have very high standards for themselves.

  • Reply 14 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post


     


    Thats because most of the paid apps in iOS are free on Android.  Dev's relay on ads, but Google must be taking a decent cut on all the ads. But of course, with Android gaining in volume the dev's income is going to rise on that platform.


     


    this is why I keep pounding that Apple should release low end tablets and phones, for the ecosystem critical mass.



    And people just LOVE advertising in their apps. NOT!

  • Reply 15 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post


     


    Please name some of these apps that state they are for tablets but are actually up-scaled phone apps.


     


    Serious request.



     


    Instead of challenging people, why not tell us what amazing Android apps you are using on your Android tablet?

  • Reply 16 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post


    I would think there would be far too many to name, although maybe not - there are only a couple hundred tablet optimized Android apps versus tens of thousands for the iPad. Anyone who is satisfied using an Android tablet, with its extremely poor and limited app selection, does not have very high standards for themselves.



     


    LOL. Get over yourself already.

  • Reply 17 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,925member
    Amazing. People actually spend money in the Simpsons game?
  • Reply 18 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post


     


    Instead of challenging people, why not tell us what amazing Android apps you are using on your Android tablet?



     


    No, it doesn't work like that chum. The people complaining about 'subpar' looking Android tablet apps obviously have experience with those apps. I'd like to know which specific apps they are talking about so I can take a look for myself.

  • Reply 19 of 41

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post


     


    No, it doesn't work like that chum. The people complaining about 'subpar' looking Android tablet apps obviously have experience with those apps. I'd like to know which specific apps they are talking about so I can take a look for myself.



     


    Prove to me you own both an Android tablet and an iPad (and which ones) and I'll give you a list, troll. Otherwise I'm not wasting my time if you aren't even capable of downloading them to do a side-by-sde.

  • Reply 20 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,705member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Thats because most of the paid apps in iOS are free on Android.  Dev's relay on ads, but Google must be taking a decent cut on all the ads. But of course, with Android gaining in volume the dev's income is going to rise on that platform.

    this is why I keep pounding that Apple should release low end tablets and phones, for the ecosystem critical mass.

    That's what the mini and previous iPhone models are for. iOS users are more likely to buy apps than Android users regardless of the size of the Android market share.
Sign In or Register to comment.