Purported iOS 7 screens may show flat effects of Jony Ive's influence

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    analogjack wrote: »
    I don't see what was so wrong about the game app. It was nice to get felt on the table.

It wasn't felt though. It was pixels made to imitate felt, and the wood was terribly done. It's time to modernise and think outside the box.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Did this "photograph" originate from the Chicago Sun-Times? :smokey:

Zing!!
  • Reply 83 of 107
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're blaming him for wanting Apple to provide that feature? He should instead download a third part weather app with a dodgy app badge workaround solution?

I'm not blaming anybody for wanting Apple to provide that feature. As a matter of fact, I believe that Apple should definitely provide that feature, and that they should have done so a long time ago.

I'm looking at it from a common sense point of view, and since Apple hasn't provided that feature, I was pointing out that there are other options out there. If somebody wishes to spend years waiting on some feature, then be my guest. In the meantime, there are other options.

• Reply 84 of 107
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    That was your first mistake.
    I didn't say whether I believed it or not, just that I saw it. ;)
  • Reply 85 of 107
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

I call fake. If somebody has access to iOS 7 and wants to leak screenshots, I am sure there are far more interesting aspects to show off than missing gloss effect to existing application icons.

Also, why the ultra blurry picture? The user could have taken a screenshot of the screen directly from the phone itself. How hard is it to press the Power and Home buttons to take a screenshot?

• Reply 86 of 107
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I work in app development and I've heard complaints from clients who don't like the fact that the icons they've designed are not the ones that appear on the store. Designers never like someone modifying their work, even something relatively minor like adding gloss. We always refer their complaints to Apple.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

How hard is it to press the Power and Home buttons to take a screenshot?

Pressing Power+Home: Piece of cake.

Sending the created file to ANY off-device service using ANY method of transfer under ANY circumstances: Piece of cake*.

*If you're okay with a 1000% chance of losing your job and probably a criminal trial.

• Reply 88 of 107
    bregalad wrote: »
    I work in app development and I've heard complaints from clients who don't like the fact that the icons they've designed are not the ones that appear on the store. Designers never like someone modifying their work, even something relatively minor like adding gloss. We always refer their complaints to Apple.

Or you tell Xcode not to add gloss. Either way.
  • Reply 89 of 107
    I have a feeling the icon change is not the biggest thing happening for Apple & their iOS.
    In the market for some new hardware & really looking forward to the next year and a half.
  • Reply 90 of 107

I'm not sure if I'm confident with Apple and Craig Federighi altering iOS's UI a whole lot. Unfortunately, while there's people like us with a brain and who want to know everything there is about the devices we spend money on, at the same time, there's brainless morons out there that can't handle a UI any more sophisticated than the current "grid" setup iOS versions 6 and earlier have displayed because they know nothing about their devices. Apple will likely keep the UI similar to what it is now with a few minor changes. Unfortunately, it's likely Apple will want to keep sporting a UI for the users that don't have a brain; thus, iOS could still look like it's behind today's more sophisticated interfaces like Windows Phone 8 and Android. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want iOS to drop the glossy look. I believe that is one of the reasons why the phone looks like a toy. I want a more serious, professional looking iPhone, and not something that looks like Fisher- Price made it. The skeuomorphism also plays a roll in this play toy-like look.

The lock screen is ugly--what Apple needs to do is take away the layers and just create a single layered lock screen that has live weather conditions and animations that reflect that in the background with the temperature and the time. The actual number keys used to unlock the phone should/could be a non-transparent version of what the number keys look now, except slightly smaller and without the 3D/boxy effect. The current, "slide to unlock" and quick camera icon could/should be placed on that animation without the additional gloss layer underneath and around it.  This would create a beautiful, flat lock screen. In addition to that, users should be able to access the new and improved notification center from the lock screen when a new badge for notifications appear... This way all of the notifications won't fill the screen up. 

The UI itself after the phone is unlocked should lose the gloss, lose the notepad looking animations, bookshelves, etc. and should be re-arranged and re-sized so that I can actually see a picture of my girlfriend or other background photo instead of what it looks like now where the Apps just cover the whole page. 

Just a couple of ideas. 

• Reply 91 of 107
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    I thought "flat" meant stripping away the gloss, shadows, extra colors, etc. Taking away only the gloss layer doesn't do much at all. And with the hype of Ives, this can't be the new look. That would be stupid.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

I thought "flat" meant stripping away the gloss, shadows, extra colors, etc. Taking away only the gloss layer doesn't do much at all.

Who the heck wants it "flat" in the first place?

…hype…

There's your problem.

• Reply 93 of 107
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The photographer was using an Android phone.

lol!
  • Reply 94 of 107
    robodadrobodad Posts: 2member
    This doesn't look legit to me, either. If the "leaks" are correct, the wood shelves from Newsstand are gone, yet they are present in the photo. And, aside from the loss of the gloss layer, nothing about these icons looks flat.

But, I guess we'll see in a week.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The icons are way too much like android ones. Too flat and boring. I like the current ones. Just make some useful (like weather) and allow me to delete the stocks app.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    So fake
  • Reply 97 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The photographer was using an Android phone.

that only explains the "idiot" part...

• Reply 98 of 107
    laucalalaucala Posts: 6member
    Why does the extremely blurry icon grid not line up with the non-blurry status bar at the top, why does the blurry icon grid not fit into or even line up with the iPhone display frame and why does it appear to be printed on blotting paper?
  • Reply 99 of 107
    betofebetofe Posts: 1member
    Have you noticed that the image is crop in the top left corner??? Maybe is just a screenshot of some design...
  • Reply 100 of 107
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bregalad wrote: »

Apparently neither your clients, nor you are aware that you can turn "off" the glossy icon effect with a simple setting change in Xcode. Look it up.