Apple's 500M user accounts second only to Facebook, viewed as key driver of future growth

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I impressed by Amazon's 'Revenue per Account' number.

Are you sure "impressed" is the right word?

Did you look at cash flows per account? image

• Reply 22 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Apple has no need to monetize its users. The fact that it does not do so, compared to the fly-bys like FB, is what makes it stand out for the long haul.

The company simply needs to focus on producing the world's greatest computing/entertainment hardware and software. Thankfully, that's what it's doing.

• Reply 23 of 52
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

People need to be clear that you do not need a credit card on file with Apple to create an account.

Still, there's probably little doubt that the metric here is very good for Apple. The margin for online Apple purchases is very good. Definitely much better than Amazon's.This is undoubtedly a very undervalued component of Apple's business by the market.

• Reply 24 of 52

Wonder how many people use iMessage.

Wonder how many photographs are uploaded to iCloud.

Apple has all the underpinnings of a massive social network if they so choose. The network is made up of iPhones, iPod Touches, Macs and even iTunes on Windows. Even if Apple never builds a truly integrated social network out of this, I wonder if and when the value of this will be reflected in the stock price.

• Reply 25 of 52
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

LOL at Netflix's cash flow per account.

I wish Apple would by a stake of Netflix (basically buying blue sky and mind share, that's all the stock's trading on anyway) and bankroll it. 

Netflix also needs a tiered pricing strategy, say charging $12.99 for PREMIUM access to their best shows, or something similar. It's way too cheap. And the regular account needs to be $9.99... you think the mental difference between $7.99 and $9.99 is that big? Maybe it would even out that cash flow.

• Reply 26 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple has no need to monetize its users. ...

The company simply needs to focus on producing the world's greatest computing/entertainment hardware and software. Thankfully, that's what it's doing.

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The fact that it does not do so, compared to the fly-bys like FB, is what makes it stand out for the long haul.

Don't agree that FB is a fly-by. It will evolve but I think it's here to stay. To wit, the recent protest mounted by parents groups forced FB to toughen its policy on screening misogynistic images and posts but there was no talk whatsoever of boycotting FB. All the talk about teenagers abandoning FB comes from analysts in their 40s and 50s (the same analysts who claim Apple is out for teens), while teenagers continue to use FB as their primary social medium.

Regardless, I am also wholeheartedly thankful that Apple's business plan is different. Having said that, as I mentioned above, they have a virtual social network that is not reflected in their market cap.

• Reply 27 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

LOL at Netflix's cash flow per account.

I wish Apple would by a stake of Netflix (basically buying blue sky and mind share, that's all the stock's trading on anyway) and bankroll it. 

Netflix also needs a tiered pricing strategy, say charging $12.99 for PREMIUM access to their best shows, or something similar. It's way too cheap. And the regular account needs to be $9.99... you think the mental difference between $7.99 and $9.99 is that big? Maybe it would even out that cash flow.

Does Netflix need a sugar daddy?

• Reply 28 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm sure they will eventually. Microtransations to use their features and talk to your "friends".

Shut up with your false concern

• Reply 29 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Shut up with your false concern

Can't discern sarcasm, huh?

• Reply 30 of 52
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Does Netflix need a sugar daddy?

Yep.

Their main problem is lack of cash for content deals. 

• Reply 31 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Imagine if Facebook required a credit card! I'm sure they will eventually. Microtransations to use their features and talk to your "friends".

Shut up with your false concern.

Note: can you not delete this again as it didn't violate any forum rules. Additionally- you have made the exact same response to other forum members- 2 times in 4 days. Lets not be a Hippocrate.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member
    Huberty uses to make good analysis. This seems not to be the case. If you count every sale from third parties through Amazon, as revenues by Amazon, and then compare that with revenues of others, you obtain a misleading number. Amazon could be retailing the products of the whole world, but profiting an infinitesimal part of that revenue, which is what matters, at the end of the day.
    In the same way, in case of Apple, 500m accounts * 329= 165billion. So she is counting every dollar collected by Apple sales as a benefit obtained by the registered accounts (even the many duplicated ones...)
    To have a useful number, she should be comparing revenues obtained by the accounts themselves on online retailing. In case of Apple: itunes, appstore. You would get still an impresive figure, but very far from the $329 she states as "average account revenue". Even so, a correct study may lead to the conclusion that Apple is the highest "profit per user" of online retail. That alone should show how absurd is the current P/E of both aapl, and amzn or nflx on the other hand.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Note: can you not delete this again as it didn't violate any forum rules. Additionally- you have made the exact same response to other forum members- 2 times in 4 days. Lets not be a Hippocrate.

I have been saying he does this for quite some time....he deletes posts that disagree with his PoV....or that make him look bad.....

• Reply 34 of 52
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    andysol wrote: »

Ok, I really did lol here. Well played...
  • Reply 35 of 52

Hey, I thought I replied to this already? It was sarcasm, man. "I apologize for not putting an emoticon after it." I'd think an idea that stupid would have been obvious as sarcasm.

Note: can you not delete this again as it didn't violate any forum rules.

I don't know why it was deleted. I didn't delete it. I agree that there was nothing wrong with poking fun at the false concern trolls.

Additionally- you have made the exact same response to other forum members- 2 times in 4 days.

Because they were idiot trolls using actual false concern to push their moronic agenda. You can't say that what they said was legitimate concern.

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have been saying he does this for quite some time....he deletes posts that disagree with his PoV....or that make him look bad.....

Shut up and go away.

(that's funny.)

• Reply 36 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

But yet Apple is always considered a doomed company. Why? Because Apple's iPhone doesn't have the the biggest display or it doesn't have the highest megapixel camera or because it doesn't have a quad-core processor. It doesn't have an OS with all the bells and whistles that Android OS has. These are the things that the analysts and hedge fund managers claim Apple needs to stay relevant. Things like customer loyalty and hundreds of retail stores don't mean anything to Wall Street. They think Apple is only as good as the specs of their products.

Some noteworthy facts: Apple has been downgraded many times by analysts from banks that have needed to be bailed out by the federal government. Apple is worth far more than Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Credit Suisse or any number of banks and brokerage houses combined. However, those analysts are always willing to tell Apple how to run its company. They're always happy to prognosticate about how Apple is going fail if they don't do such and such. They sternly warn investors about what Apple needs to do about growth while their own companies are not as sound as Apple is.

Analysts love to scare investors about how Apple is going to collapse overnight because Apple has lost global market share to Samsung over the past year. I suppose the analysts actually believe all of Apple's customer base will just pull all their credit card accounts because iPhones don't have large displays. I honestly don't think consumers' minds work like that at all. I don't believe Apple's customer base exists merely because of iPhone specifications as analysts would have you believe. Wall Street doesn't believe in things like consumer loyalty or trust are worth anything which really leaves Apple shareholders in the lurch.

I think the stock is in for rebound. Assuming they maintain EPS, it should be at $500.  On the fundamentals side, if Apple surprise or show sign of growth, its could rebound violently. Stock bottoms happens when everyone is giving up and when expectations are low. We are there.

Look at the following video: I am more on the Carter side that the fundamental guy, and I am fundamental investor.

http://goo.gl/zt1s0

This is interesting :

http://goo.gl/P9gpW

I think there is still a good chance Apple will come up with a good line up of product cycles and at least maintain its EPS. Throw in a new product or multiple NEW iphones models (which is there core business income wise) and we could be back on track to growth. they could also land China mobile in second half of 2013.

• Reply 37 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by decondo View Post

I have more accounts than I can remember, all tied to credit cards. Remember that apple will not let you eliminate an account. On the other hand, Amazon, etc. will let you eliminate an account so I would expect smaller numbers for those who allow this. Don't know what the numbers mean???? but let's not confuse the analysts (who also do not know what the numbers mean) What would we do without analysts to come up with all these meaningless numbers? 

Apple's numbers aren't just a count of all accounts ever opened, but active accounts; any account that's been used in the past 90 days. After which they expire.

The reason you cannot completely delete an account is because anything you purchased from the store under that account would forever be completely useless as that is how your apps, movies, etc. are all signed. It's a safeguard for people that don't realize what they're doing.

And actually very few services will ever completely delete your account, if anything they may anonymize it and keep it for audit, statistical or other purposes.

• Reply 38 of 52

Quote:

Hey, I thought I replied to this already? It was sarcasm, man. "I apologize for not putting an emoticon after it." I'd think an idea that stupid would have been obvious as sarcasm.

I don't know why it was deleted. I didn't delete it. I agree that there was nothing wrong with poking fun at the false concern trolls.

Because they were idiot trolls using actual false concern to push their moronic agenda. You can't say that what they said was legitimate concern.

Shut up and go away.

(that's funny.)

Shut up moronic control freak. You were busted again! Caught deleting a post....again! Hypocrite! (oh funny)

(now....thats funny! :-) )

• Reply 39 of 52

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Shut up moronic control freak. You were busted again! Caught deleting a post....again! Hypocrite!

You'd stake your account on that, would you?

Think carefully. Think very carefully.

• Reply 40 of 52

Quote:

You'd stake your account on that, would you?

Think carefully. Think very carefully.

if you didn't do it then someone is covering for you.......Stake your reputation on it? What about your account? Are you a moderator? Have a second account here? Pretty easy to do.....work in the background.....I just created a Moderator feed back thread in the wel Feedback forum....guess what its gone. The moderators here on AI have never told I was doing something wrong..... Are you threatening me?Just so we are clear....if I disagree with you you are somehow going to ban me?