Apple's 500M user accounts second only to Facebook, viewed as key driver of future growth

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

But then what about the one billion people who watch YouTube videos each month generating income for Google?

http://www.youtube.com/yt/press/statistics.html

I wasn't aware that I had to pay Google to watch videos on YouTube. I thought it was free. I guess I was wrong. 

Google's 2012 revenue... $50 billion

Apple's 2012 revenue... $146 billion

• Reply 42 of 52
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I wasn't aware that I had to pay Google to watch videos on YouTube. I thought it was free. I guess I was wrong. 

Google's 2012 revenue... $50 billion

Apple's 2012 revenue... $146 billion

No what I meant was that watching YouTube videos generates revenue for Google by the AD dollars it generates.....

• Reply 43 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The term doomed may be hyperbole used here that hasn't been used by news sites writing anti-Apple articles, but it's a single word that sums up half the articles written about Apple. I bet you can't go a day without some major outlet posting an article or blog about how Apple has lost their mojo, how the magic is gone, how repeated missteps are killing their user base, how supply chain issues are rampant, how people have no faith in their products, how Apple has not products in the pipeline, how it was so much better under Steve Jobs, how nothing has come out since Tim Cook took over, and on and on and on and on… The simplest way to sum up all these doom and gloom stories is simply: Apple is Doomed™!!!!!

edit: typos.

It's starting to become akin to 'Primus Sucks'
  • Reply 44 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

The moderators here on AI have never told I was doing something wrong...

Probably because you should know that personal attacks and harassment are wrong.

Are you threatening me?

Hey, that's up to you, ain't it? image

Just so we are clear....if I disagree with you you are somehow going to ban me?

Oh heavens, no. But I wouldn't think you're long for anything if you keep up the nonsense.

• Reply 45 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Are you sure "impressed" is the right word?

Did you look at cash flows per account? :rolleyes:

It's well known that Amazon operates on thin margins so the cash flow number isn't surprising but the spending per account was especially seeing how big of a lead they had over ebay.
  • Reply 46 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Probably because you should know that personal attacks and harassment are wrong.

Hey, that's up to you, ain't it? image

Oh heavens, no. But I wouldn't think you're long for anything if you keep up the nonsense.

I have not attacked you personally. I have not said anything to you that YOU have not said to others.

Thats twice now you have threatened me with being banned. So far in the last 2 days you have been overly rude to Souliisoul and Andysol. I stuck up for them and you did not like it....

• Reply 47 of 52
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I'm also shocked to see no mention of Google. Android is the most used mobile OS and you can't download an app without signing into a Google account so it stands to reason that Google has more people on file than Apple does. While many of those Google accounts won't have a credit card attached, I'd say that describes the vast majority of Facebook accounts too.

Offering more services to existing customers seems like a good idea for any company. For Apple, whose customers are more loyal than average, it's a no brainer.
  • Reply 48 of 52

It`s warranties. For most European buyers, two year warranty are required and card No is a structural part of it, since nobody pay in cash. If you consider that Amazon have most of their costumers in USA or Canada, maybe UK, you can see the difference. Apple is a global commpany, while Amazon is large book seller mostly for English speaking/reading audience.

• Reply 49 of 52
    pmdrpmdr Posts: 1member

This is a lot of apples and oranges and limes.

I've had an Apple iTunes account for more than six years, going back to when I first got an Video iPod and a first gen Macbook Pro.  During that time, I've spent, maybe, $10 on songs and nothing at all in the app store.  My old MPB is barely functional and now sits in a corner, turned off.  Can't run the modern OS, too slow, too hot, tiny RAM. Not even worth ebaying.  

The iPod mainly gets used with a matching ancient iTalk gadget to record meetings.   That's it.   Apple is making nothing from me but they have an account. Woo.  Go ahead and count that.  Believe for a moment it means something.   

Facebook does not have a card on file. Users at FB aren't the customer anyway.  They are the product.  The advertisers are the customer at FB.  They pay.  The product does not pay.  

Anyhow, I get most of my music from Amazon.  It interfaces nicely with iTunes, which barely gets used, quite honestly. But I spend FAR more with Amazon on actual, physical products. Amazon gets more of my dollar than Costco, Walmart, Harbor Freight, Home Depot and a ton of other retailers.   If we want to compare retail operations, there's a limit to what Apple can physically sell to someone.  A handful of their own products and perhaps whatever One can find in an Apple store.  Such is not the case with Amazon.  It's hard to find something they don't have, even if the price is not always the best.   I've got Prime but no time in the world to watch any videos so for me, that matters not at all.  Just send me my stuff fast.  

Google would be next.  They're getting my app money.  Play Music is finally starting to work well.  They're trying to figure out the retail side -though I wish they'd quit fooling around and focus on doing what they do best.  All these consultants trying to plot the future just end up wasting OPM and time. 

• Reply 50 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMDR View Post

I've had an Apple iTunes account for more than six years, going back to when I first got an Video iPod and a first gen Macbook Pro.  During that time, I've spent, maybe, $10 on songs and nothing at all in the app store.  My old MPB is barely functional and now sits in a corner, turned off.  Can't run the modern OS, too slow, too hot, tiny RAM. Not even worth ebaying.  

The iPod mainly gets used with a matching ancient iTalk gadget to record meetings.   That's it.   Apple is making nothing from me but they have an account. Woo.  Go ahead and count that.  Believe for a moment it means something.   

Facebook does not have a card on file. Users at FB aren't the customer anyway.  They are the product.  The advertisers are the customer at FB.  They pay.  The product does not pay.  

Anyhow, I get most of my music from Amazon.  It interfaces nicely with iTunes, which barely gets used, quite honestly. But I spend FAR more with Amazon on actual, physical products. Amazon gets more of my dollar than Costco, Walmart, Harbor Freight, Home Depot and a ton of other retailers.   If we want to compare retail operations, there's a limit to what Apple can physically sell to someone.  A handful of their own products and perhaps whatever One can find in an Apple store.  Such is not the case with Amazon.  It's hard to find something they don't have, even if the price is not always the best.   I've got Prime but no time in the world to watch any videos so for me, that matters not at all.  Just send me my stuff fast.  

Google would be next.  They're getting my app money.  Play Music is finally starting to work well.  They're trying to figure out the retail side -though I wish they'd quit fooling around and focus on doing what they do best.  All these consultants trying to plot the future just end up wasting OPM and time. 

^^^^^^^ Nice........You are right....people are the product on FB.....

• Reply 51 of 52
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    pmdr wrote: »

Is the credit card on file active? If not, you're not one of the half mil.

The accounts have nothing to do with physical Apple Stores or products. It's about digital content.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I impressed by Amazon's 'Revenue per Account' number.

I wouldn't trust this number for Amazon or for Apple.  It appears that all they did was divide Amazon's 2012 total revenue of $61 billion by the 200 million accounts to come up with $305 revenue per account.  This presumes that ever dollar of revenue was generated only by these accounts which isn't the case.  Amazon has quite a significant business as a cloud computing solution and who knows what other revenue sources that also wouldn't come from these user accounts.  

If the same lazy math was used for Apple then their figures could be significantly off as well.  As a small example you have billions of dollars worth of Apple peripherals alone that could be purchased at Amazon, Walmart or even the Apple store which add to Apple's revenue but don't need to be tied to a user account.

Truly an excellent post!