ITC issues US import ban on older iPhones and iPads for infringement of Samsung patents [u]

Comments

• Reply 121 of 263
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    joshkar426 wrote: »
    Samsung's mission is to make other companies make something popular, then to steal their thunder. Again, there's nothing wrong with this strategy.
    Apple didn't invent anything with the iPhone. They made a prettier-looking device compared to Samsung's F700 and the LG Prada, but there was no inventing going around.

Suppose Apple invented 3G. Then they'd have grounds to stop competitors. However, that's not the case. Apple made a pretty-looking device and that's about it.

A single company can't invent something like 3G, ugh.
  • Reply 122 of 263
    Delete.
  • Reply 123 of 263

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I think you missed the word "suppose" in there.

• Reply 124 of 263
    I think you missed the word "suppose" in there.

How else is someone supposed to read it? Earlier you claimed Samsung is inventing 5G.
  • Reply 125 of 263
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

I find it funny about Samsung this and Samsung that...take away Google's Android and they have no software worthy competing against Apple in any form or shape.

Frankly, I stopped buying any Samsung product. Anyone but theirs at this point.

• Reply 126 of 263
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Plus, there's such a thing as multitasking.

"Not in iOS!" ????????????

Oh? I'd say a single company (heck, person) could be responsible for tech that then becomes a standard liable under FRAND due to its quality. It doesn't happen often, but it's certainly possible.

• Reply 127 of 263
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshKar426 View Post

Except the retina display is a trademark, not a patent, giving my argument more credence.

"Retina" is a trademark used to refer to the resolution (pixel density) of a display at a given distance from the eyes that make it (almost) impossible to distinguish individual pixels.

The LCD technology itself (IPS) is not Apple's, it was originally developed by Hitachi and further developed by LG.

However,

The display IP used to make those LCDs is Apple's. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-reveals-two-retina-display-technologies.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/06/apples-retina-display-patent-comes-to-light.html

In fact Apple has another LCD patent that combines the touch sensors into the displays themselves, removing a layer.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.services/blog/6a0120a5580826970c0120a5580ebf970c/search?filter.q=touch+screen

And just for shits and giggles, an article stating that Samsung is having a hard time matching the Retina display in the iPad...

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/07/samsung-struggles-to-match-apples-retina-display-quality.html

Edited to add links.

• Reply 128 of 263
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

This is total bull! Apple is using Qualcomm product

Not in the AT&T version of Apple's iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G, as well as cellular versions of the original iPad and iPad 2.

• Reply 129 of 263
    "Not in iOS!" <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>
    <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>
    <span style="font-family:'Apple Color Emoji';font-size:28px;line-height:normal;">????</span>

Oh? I'd say a single company (heck, person) could be responsible for tech that then becomes a standard liable under FRAND due to its quality. It doesn't happen often, but it's certainly possible.

True, I suppose. But unlikely, since multiple companies have to support it, otherwise it's basically proprietary.

Usually a standards body will be formed, for instance.

Technically a company can invent something, and then release it as an industry standard, but its pretty rare, especially if it involves communication tech that uses bandwidth and frequencies governed by governments.
  • Reply 130 of 263

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

"Retina" is a trademark used to refer to the resolution (pixel density) of a display at a given distance from the eyes that make it (almost) impossible to distinguish individual pixels.

The display IP used to make those LCDs is Apple's. 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/12/apple-reveals-two-retina-display-technologies.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/06/apples-retina-display-patent-comes-to-light.html

In fact Apple has another LCD patent that combines the touch sensors into the displays themselves, removing a layer.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/.services/blog/6a0120a5580826970c0120a5580ebf970c/search?filter.q=touch+screen

The problem is that these patents aren't anything big. Although there are many components going into the LCD, Apple is patenting the application of a supplier's supply. Yes, you read that right. It's like Dell patenting using the AMD 7850 graphics card on desktops. It's asinine.

About the 2nd one: This is merely software calibration. Why is it even a patent?

The 3rd one is merely in-cell (on-cell), which Samsung has been using since 2010. It's a copycat patent.

• Reply 131 of 263
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    At the end of the day, we have to acknowledge that Apple's legal team sucks. Big time. Just like the CFO, its lawyers seem to have been far surpassed by the size and scope of the company. It's deeply disheartening.

Merits (or lack of it) notwithstanding, I am dubious about the whole e-books spat as well.
  • Reply 132 of 263

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At the end of the day, we have to acknowledge that Apple's legal team sucks. Big time. Just like the CFO, its lawyers seem to have been far surpassed by the size and scope of the company. It's deeply disheartening.

Merits (or lack of it) notwithstanding, I am dubious about the whole e-books spat as well.

How does its legal team suck? Apple has nothing to stand on with its BS patents.

If Apple engineered something for once, they'd have something to fight Samsung with. Having patents relating to shapes and colors aren't gonna hold much weight in the court of law.

• Reply 133 of 263
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Not in the AT&T version of Apple's iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G, as well as cellular versions of the original iPad and iPad 2.

The problem is that these patents aren't anything big. Although there are many components going into the LCD, Apple is patenting the application of a supplier's supply. Yes, you read that right. It's like Dell patenting using the AMD 7850 graphics card on desktops. It's asinine.

About the 2nd one: This is merely software calibration. Why is it even a patent?

The 3rd one is merely on-screen, which Samsung has been using since 20<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">10. It's a copycat patent.</span>

Software is meaningless, right? Have fun using your tech without software.

Patents can involve the implementation of components.

Samsung, like LG, et. al. make components, and make many according to another company's IP and specifications. They're a foundry. That's why Apple's displays have been color representation, and why their SoC's typically beat whatever the comparable Sammy SoC happens to be.
  • Reply 134 of 263
    How does its legal team suck? Apple has nothing to stand on with its BS patents.
    If Apple engineered something for once, they'd have something to fight Samsung with. Having patents relating to shapes and colors aren't gonna hold much weight in the court of law.

Because the only way to engineer something is to physically manufacture it. D'ok.
  • Reply 135 of 263

Quote:

Software is meaningless, right? Have fun using your tech without software.

Patents can involve the implementation of components.

Samsung, like LG, et. al. make components, and make many according to another company's IP and specifications. They're a foundry. That's why Apple's displays have been color representation, and why their SoC's typically beat whatever the comparable Sammy SoC happens to be.

- Software isn't meaningless, but patenting general algorithms is abhorable.

Did you even read the patent application. It basically says that Apple patented the algorithm for making the green pixel less pronounced.

ONLY if they're significant enough to produce a new invention. Using the next generation NVIDIA GPU on your desktop is NOT worthy of becoming a patent.

- I hope you realize the Nexus 10 processor is 1.5x more powerful than Apple's inefficient A6-series processors.

Also, Apple has no genuine IP. It's all just Samsung's tech. You are right that Samsung and LG makes screens based on Apple's choice of screen size and resolution, but they're both Samsung and LG's tech, not Apple's.

American companies don't engineer hardware anymore (Except for CPUs and GPUs). Every other hardware component is done by Asian engineers.

• Reply 136 of 263
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

First of all, high tech patents are so different from life science, pharmaceutical ones.  For instance, even in an LCD there are a ton of patents, and for a smartphone, you guess.  However, only a few patents are probably embodied in a medicine pill.  The ITC importation ban on patent infringement made more sense with those medicines.

So if anything, you guys should be upset that the ITC can ban something solely because a tiny bit of technology is infringed on in a smartphone that probably embodies thousands of patents.  I firmly believe that the section 337 investigation should be modified to limit some powers of the ITC.

Asking for a SEP held by Samsung to be treated differently is I think misplaced.  A SEP is still a patent that should be compensated if used - just like how Apple wanted to recoup its SEP royalties from other users.  The question is how fair were the terms, and whether the parties were cooperative and willing to enter into an agreement in good faith.  Apple probably failed on that good faith part most likely.

I am actually still surprised that the ITC did not end up finding Samsung abused its SEPs, since I thought there were enough evidence to be stretched to have such a holding.  I had every reasons to be impressed by the stance that the ITC took, just like how you guys had every rights to be upset that the ITC took this position.

People think I am anti-Apple or something just because I often go against Apple's position.  Well, I worked with Apple's in-house counsels and represented matters for Apple.  Blindly propping every move Apple makes does not change the fact that Apple is fallible and sometimes makes bad decisions.

• Reply 137 of 263
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pendergast wrote: »
    As many as could be made; shortages everywhere.

Man, this guy went to Trolling 101.

Trolling 101? More like a doctorate, PhD even. I gotta admit he writes very well and has made some valid points but kinda lost me once he said Apple Maps kills people daily.
  • Reply 138 of 263
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

Quote:

- Software isn't meaningless, but patenting general algorithms is abhorable.

Did you even read the patent application. It basically says that Apple patented the algorithm for making the green pixel less pronounced.

ONLY if they're significant enough to produce a new invention. Using the next generation NVIDIA GPU on your desktop is NOT worthy of becoming a patent.

- I hope you realize the Nexus 10 processor is 1.5x more powerful than Apple's inefficient A6-series processors.

Also, Apple has no genuine IP. It's all just Samsung's tech. You are right that Samsung and LG makes screens based on Apple's choice of screen size and resolution, but they're both Samsung and LG's tech, not Apple's.

American companies don't engineer hardware anymore (Except for CPUs and GPUs). Every other hardware component is done by Asian engineers.

Take it to PTO and ask for reexamination.  I am pretty sure that those are not just algorithms for them not being patentable subject matter.

If you really think one type of patent is more worthy just because it is a complex EE hardware than a seemingly simple interface related software than you are absolutely wrong.  The worthy of a patent is really how many people want it.  As pointed previously, Apple's patents are often wanted by many.

• Reply 139 of 263

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

Take it to PTO and ask for reexamination.  I am pretty sure that those are not just algorithms for them not being patentable subject matter.

If you really think one type of patent is more worthy just because it is a complex EE than a seemingly simple interface related software than you are absolutely wrong.

Actually, I do think that.

The thing is, Android's UI is far different than iOS's. iOS is just an App-Launcher. How anyone can confuse the 2 is beyond me.

• Reply 140 of 263
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

The 3rd one is merely in-cell (on-cell), which Samsung has been using since 2010. It's a copycat patent.

I'm guessing you're either partially illiterate or blind. Either way you're completely blind to reason. Good for you. As they say, ignorance is bliss.