Apple installing WWDC banners: 'Where a whole new world is developing'

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has started installing banners for next week's World Wide Developer Conference, featuring brightly colored squares and the tagline "Where a whole new world is developing."

Apple WWDC banners going up at Moscone Center, San Francisco

Located in San Francisco's Moscone West convention center, the 2013 WWDC event banners reflect the the same light, bright color scheme reflected in the sessions' app (pictured below, in contrast to the app released for previous years).

iphone 4s
via Garee's Blog

The bright, layered look may hint at similar use of color in the revised appearance of iOS 7 as well as the next version of OS X, both of which will be introduced to the public and detailed in depth for Apple's developers in the week long sessions focusing on third party support for Apple's platforms.

Apple has often "leaked" design elements of its upcoming operating system releases in apps, particularly in releases of key software such as iTunes. In fact, the new WWDC app looks a lot like the new iTunes 11, employing the same mostly white backgrounds highlighted with lighter shades of grey, limited use of color, and flatter, simple, iconic iPad-style button icons.

Outside Moscone West, workers are also again installing giant white Apple logos on either side of the building's prominent corner (below).

This year, WWDC attendees will see lots of changes and activity in the South of Market Area surrounding the venue, including the revamped Metreon retail complex across the street, which now includes a scaled down City Target department store and a greatly expanded food court offering alternatives to the food options provided at WWDC.

Fourth Street itself is also a hotbed of construction, given that San Francisco has started work on the Central Subway, which will include a station south of Moscone as well three blocks west at Union Square.

Existing Apple Store, San Francisco

Apple's current retail store at Fourth and Market is at the epicenter of the large project, which has closed the BART subway entrance under the store and blocked the streets in front of it, but hasn't done much to tame the crowds visiting the store itself.

New Union Square Apple Store location

Apple's planned new store at Union Square (pictured above, two blocks north of the current one on Market Street) will upgrade the location's capacity and put it in a classier location next to luxury stores and upscale hotels, rather than on the drab and dirty corner of the Powell Bart station (portrayed above it).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There we go; banner thread! Hopefully the other ones will be as uselessly cryptic, too.

I worry about this picture. image

• Reply 2 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nice bum shot. (...and I realize this comment has other connotations outside the US) :D
  • Reply 3 of 92
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Check out those square icon corners! :p

P.S. The slogan means we're going back to chemicals and darkrooms for photography.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

There we go; banner thread! Hopefully the other ones will be as uselessly cryptic, too.

I worry about this picture. [/QUOTE]

Pigeons gonna pidge.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Where can I get one of those giant Apple banners for my car window?

• Reply 5 of 92

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Pigeons gonna pidge.

• Reply 6 of 92
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Whole new world?

That obviously means they are introducing a low cost iPhone so that the "whole world" and "developing" countries can use it!

That obviously means a new iTV is finally being announced. "A whole new world" before your very eyes!

That obviously means iOS and OSX are finally merging into one... Wait for it... "Whole new world" of operating systems!

Or it means nothing.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I worry about this picture. :lol:

The pigeons can be annoying.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    I don't see square corners in those banners.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    andysol wrote: »
    Whole new world?

That obviously means they are introducing a low cost iPhone so that the "whole world" and "developing" countries can use it!

That obviously means a new iTV is finally being announced. "A whole new world" before your very eyes!

That obviously means iOS and OSX are finally merging into one... Wait for it... "Whole new world" of operating systems!

Or it means nothing.
    It means something of course. But since its a developer conference I don't think it has anything to do with a low cost phone. Unless a low cost phone has a different OS or different apps.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    SQUARE IPHONE

Also, this is the third WWDC in a row that the intersection in front of the Apple Store will be under construction. What gives?
  • Reply 11 of 92
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

My reaction...

• Reply 12 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What is up with that one picture?

Would it have been too much to ask for the photographer to wait two seconds before they snapped the shot, and let the Android user at least walk out of the frame before taking the picture?

• Reply 13 of 92
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    It wouldn't be a photo of Union Square without a homeless person in there somewhere.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

At least this is a decent slogan. The one last year (where great ideas go on to do great things) was pretty bad. Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

I suppose it was better than 'OS X + iOS + iCloud = WWDC'...

• Reply 16 of 92

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

It can be stolen.

• Reply 17 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I worry about this picture. image

No you don't. You worry about the state of the country. This is the NEW Apple customer. :(

• Reply 18 of 92
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    If they don't announce an API for the TV I'm going to be disappointed
  • Reply 19 of 92

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

If they don't announce an API for the TV I'm going to be disappointed

If they do, I'll be disappointed.

• Reply 20 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Last time I checked an idea can't do anything.

Ideas are the cornerstone of all human accomplishment. Just for you and I to communicate about its value on this forum countless ideas through all human existence that had to be so powerful that they moved millions of people to shape into reality what had merely started off as a single electrical impulse in the brain. They are the heart and soul of what makes humans so unique in the world as we know it. We are only as powerful as our ideas.