BMW says Siri Eyes Free support will come to all of its 2014 models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BMW drivers with iPhones may want to take a look at the company's forthcoming models, as the automaker announced on Friday that it would be integrating Apple's Siri Eyes Free mode into all of its 2014 cars.

siri

Siri will be a standard option in 2014 BMWs thanks to an update to BMW iDrive, the car maker's integrated mobile interface. The update will enable BMWs to interact with not only Apple's Siri in Eyes Free mode, but also Samsung's S-Voice Drive mode.

Users will be able to press a button on the steering wheel and, once the digital assistant has activated, dictate messages, send calls, and use other voice command options. BMW's system is also compatible with apps like Pandora, Stitcher, Rhapsody, and Glympse.

The upgrade to iDrive 4.2 will also bring improved navigation, advanced real time traffic information, and other features.

BMW was among the initial car makers to pledge support for Siri Eyes Free when Apple first showed off the feature last year. Eight other automakers also said Eyes Free integration would be coming in their future models. In the time since, Hyundai has joined the group of manufacturers bringing Apple's digital assistant on the road.

Chevrolet earlier this year debuted the first model with Siri built in. The iPhone and Siri were big points of emphasis for subsequent television ads showing off the Sonic, Chevrolet's new Siri-integrated car.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    2014? [S]Beamer![/S] Bummer!
  • Reply 2 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    The full story also notes that Samsung's S-Voice will be supported too. S-Voice?? Really? People use it?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I had read that certain Hondas, essentially the Accord and up, had Siri in their 2013 line up. In the market for a new car last month I asked about it at the Honda dealership. No one had any idea what I was talking about. Long story short, I didn't buy a Honda.
  • Reply 4 of 31

Nothing on PRISM today, guy's? Come on!

• Reply 5 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Nothing on PRISM today, guy's? Come on!

Zero reason that crap should be spammed in every thread. Cut it out.

• Reply 6 of 31
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I might be looking at the i3, since I don't want a Google infested Tesla. BMW is rumored to be setting up a program where i3 owners can get a gasoline powered loaner when they need to take a long trip. That combination might work for me, if the price is not too ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 31

You are the police of who? This site is called Apple Insider and some Apple devotees (of many years standing) would like to know more about Apple's involvement, complicit or otherwise, with the NSA & GCHQ. I think most other tech news is almost irrelevant with this shadow hanging over the whole industry.

• Reply 8 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

You are the police of who? This site is called Apple Insider and some Apple devotees (of many years standing) would like to know more about Apple's involvement, complicit or otherwise, with the NSA & GCHQ. I think most other tech news is almost irrelevant with this shadow hanging over the whole industry.

Too frigging bad. There's a thread about it. Post about it there. That's how it goes.

• Reply 9 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Meanwhile Samsung is planning to market a BWM car that looks identical but will cost a fraction of the cost and be made of plastic. It will of course use Android.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

S-voice? S for Siri AND Samsung. Samsung must be patting itself on its back. (Gotta admit, its pretty, you know... innovative)

• Reply 11 of 31
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Huun
    Meanwhile Samsung is planning to market a BWM car that looks identical but will cost a fraction of the cost and be made of plastic. It will of course use Android.

Hyundie and kia are already doing that...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    This great news !
  • Reply 13 of 31
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

siri

Look at how ugly that makes the dash look on the car.  It's blocking 20% of the buttons.  I have a GPS mount that I set my phone in when using GPS, and it's in my cupholder the rest of the time (or in my lap).

When is Apple and a brave car manufacturer (or 2) going to allow them to build an integrated device into the dash.  One that can interchange easily with future models of the device, so not only does the technology not get outdated in a few years for the consumer, but Apple gets a 1-3 year upgrade cycle for sales.  I don't see why a car manufacturer wouldn't want to attempt it.  If they are afraid of isolating customers by having an exclusive adapter- then have two. Team up with Google and Apple.  I think consumers would flock to the vehicle that allowed an iPad like device that automatically connected to your phone with all cross-linked information, playlists, etc instead of iDrive, MS Sync, Chevy Touch, etc.

• Reply 14 of 31
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

When is Apple and a brave car manufacturer (or 2) going to allow them to build an integrated device into the dash.  One that can interchange easily with future models of the device, so not only does the technology not get outdated in a few years for the consumer, but Apple gets a 1-3 year upgrade cycle for sales.  I don't see why a car manufacturer wouldn't want to attempt it.  If they are afraid of isolating customers by having an exclusive adapter- then have two. Team up with Google and Apple.  I think consumers would flock to the vehicle that allowed an iPad like device that automatically connected to your phone with all cross-linked information, playlists, etc instead of iDrive, MS Sync, Chevy Touch, etc.

This is what we should wait for.

The BMW news here is ....meh..... incremental, at best

• Reply 16 of 31
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2014? Beamer! Bummer!

2014 models would likely hit the US market in about 4 months... we may not have  iOS 7 by then;-)

• Reply 17 of 31
    jack macjack mac Posts: 92member
    Subaru is being left way behind in the digital age. They refuse to pay for a license from Apple but don't mention that in the show rooms. You end up with an iPhone that is useless for outgoing voice command on their system.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Huun
    Hyundie and kia are already doing that...

True, but remember HTC. Samsung could probably come late to the copy game and beat all the previous copiers if they wanted to. /Hey I jest ;)

New Ad campaign idea for Scamsung ... 'Think the Same ... We copy better than the rest ...'
  • Reply 19 of 31
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    What about Ford's Sync? They offering integration with a Sony Walkman?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    2014? Beamer! Bummer!
    2014 models would likely hit the US market in about 4 months... we may not have  iOS 7 by then;-)

Valid point. Next years' models come out now.