AT&T follows Verizon, lengthens device upgrade period to two years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Better yet, buy it outright and avoid AT&T entirely. Straight Talk or Net10 will be about half the price of AT&T.

I currently pay AT&T about $85/month plus fees & taxes for 450 minutes, 1500 txt messages and unlimited data. I use very few minutes, my text messages are well below my limi, and my data usage, while typically under 1.5 GB, sometimes peaks well above 2GB.

Net10 caps you at 1.5GB/month if you have an AT&T SIM card.

Exactly how would this be a good move for me?

• Reply 22 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    T-Mobile does indeed do this. There's also no contract.

This move by AT&T may increase the number of people that start thinking seriously about buying their iPhones outright and shopping for a discounted voice and data plan with no contract (we need more choices!). If the math works, and I suspect it does, I am seriously thinking of going that route next time for two iPhones and plans. Although in the end it will come down to cost and also the service quality where someone lives I guess.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    freediverx wrote: »
    I currently pay AT&T about $85/month plus fees & taxes for 450 minutes, 1500 txt messages and unlimited data. I use very few minutes, my text messages are well below my limi, and my data usage, while typically under 1.5 GB, sometimes peaks well above 2GB.

Net10 caps you at 1.5GB/month if you have an AT&T SIM card.

Exactly how would this be a good move for me?

I don't know about Net10, but Straight Talk is $45 per month with unlimited text, unlimited data, and unlimited voice. So you get far more text, all the data you need, and save $40 per month. And since it's the same network, you have the same coverage. The only downside is that you don't have LTE with Straight Talk (yet), but for most people, that's a minor issue.

How is that NOT a good move?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jragosta wrote: »

I don't know about Net10, but Straight Talk is $45 per month with unlimited text, unlimited data, and unlimited voice. So you get far more text, all the data you need, and save $40 per month. And since it's the same network, you have the same coverage. The only downside is that you don't have LTE with Straight Talk (yet), but for most people, that's a minor issue.

Straight Talk sounds very good. We have similar plans here in The Netherlands, albeit cheaper. The US has worse ripoff telcos, but hey, at least you live in a fantastic country. So yeah, good move.

Love the sig, BTW.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    sylosylo Posts: 8member
    jragosta wrote: »

http://technofyi.com/2013/05/13/straight-talks-unlimited-data-plan-is-bullshit/

Straight Talk throttles your data at 1.5GB. Not only that, but it appears that once your account gets throttled, you will never be put back on your old speeds again.

We have 5 phones on a family plan with AT&T, and it comes out to $250. $50 a phone isn't that bad (and I'm grandfathered unlimited).

I guess I don't see the problem with extending a two year contract to 24 months. It's not like I signed up for a 1 and 2/3rds year contract.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Coming soon! 30 month upgrades with a two year contract!
    I'll bite on that one.... The FTC needs to watch for that. Because AT&T accountants are burning their margin by claiming extra months against the phones. Just like that stupid $.61 fee... When its time for rate hikes, they need to tell them to flip off because they have taken profits several times already...
  • Reply 27 of 41
    realwarderrealwarder Posts: 136member

Good for AT&T, bad for Apple - people will now replace phones after 24 months instead of 20.  A 16% decrease in phone turnover.

• Reply 28 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Love the sig, BTW.

So do I. Very nice to see it acknowledged. 8-)
  • Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Good for AT&T, bad for Apple - people will now replace phones after 24 months instead of 20.  A 16% decrease in phone turnover.

If you got your iphone 4s mid cycle - then a lot of those folks would have upgraded as soon as possible when the 5s (assuming that is what it is called) is released. They will have to wait.  On the other hand, once I have to wait I might as well look around and consider someone else other than ATT.  

• Reply 30 of 41
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Switched to T-Mobile.The NY area coverage is as good as AT&T at almost half the price.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Switched to T-Mobile.The NY area coverage is as good as AT&T at almost half the price.

Anyone with feedback on T-Mobile for South Florida?

• Reply 32 of 41
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. They have to provide value for their shareholders, after all.

lovely. /s

It used to be 18 months, then 20 months, I guess why wait, just jump to 24.

When you're competing with Verizon, you have to wait until your competition sets the terms and then you decide if you want to advertise against it, or meet their level.  Given that the 'trade-up' date is a silent date (the 2 year agreement is the same), it makes zero sense to advertise against it, because you actually 'lose' money, as most people don't even know the trade-up date exists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

4 months doesn't seem like much but that's millions of dollars in extra revenue.

20 months 625-200=425/20 = 21/month

more like billions  (4x20 = 80*80M [80% of total are smart phones]subscribers= 6.5Billion in Revenue, assume 50% don't even know it... 3.3B)   And this is pure profit (there is no cost for this in the short term.), so it's at least .60/share earnings before taxes.

• Reply 33 of 41
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

The other retailers may buy you out.  See Apple and BestBuy decide to offer upgrades for this... 

I note this as Apple was really pushing me hard to upgrade my 4s 2 weeks ago when I was in store just for the conversion fee.   I'm at 15 months.

at the time I was thinking it was about driving people to the 5 format (I'm of the theory that the 3.5" form factor will be unsupported early, at the end of 2014 (iOS 7 or 8  will be the last supporting that real estate, depending on FCC/carriercontract edict).

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't need more text messages or voice minutes, so any bonuses in these categories have no value for me. Nonetheless your comment prompted me to look into Straight Talk. 

Gigaom has a relevant article here:

http://gigaom.com/2012/05/23/straight-talk-it-could-let-you-dump-att-or-t-mobile/

Here's what I found:

• No Visual Voicemail

Apple’s Visual Voicemail isn’t supported by Straight Talk. Considering this was one of the coolest features introduced by the first iPhone and one I depend on daily, this alone is a deal breaker.

• 2GB Data Limit

"Based on user-reported experiences, Straight Talk requires you to keep your monthly usage to 2 GB. Hit either of these and you might get a message about excessive use, along with the threat of service termination." Not sure where you're seeing that they offer "unlimited data".

• No LTE

Not having LTE is a minor issue? This is one of the few things I would willingly pay a premium for, especially with an add-on iPad account. Next to service reliability and cost, bandwidth/speed is the most important factor in a wireless connection. 

So again, for someone looking for more affordable cell phone plans, these companies offer alternatives. But if you want to use your smartphone to its full advantage, I see no value in either of these companies. They're essentially offering less for less. That's a option, not a bargain

• Reply 35 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Love the sig, BTW.

So do I. Very nice to see it acknowledged. 8-)

Haven't read the thread where you posted it, but since you seem like an IT person, I'd say it was sarcastic?
  • Reply 36 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Haven't read the thread where you posted it, but since you seem like an IT person, I'd say it was sarcastic?

No, I'm not even close to being an IT professional. My expertise is in business management, specifically graphic design and production. Technical detail issues having to do with network systems or application development would be way over my pay-grade.:lol:
  • Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Anyone with feedback on T-Mobile for South Florida?

I'm in Miami, and judging from feedback from friends on TMobile it's a mixed bag. Not bad, but coverage and data speeds not as good as AT&T.

Ultimately it boils down to whether the price or the service quality is most important to you. If TMobile were truly offering the same quality fo service and coverage as AT&T for a lower price there would be a tidal wave of customers switching to TMobile. I haven't see this.

• Reply 38 of 41
    I always figured it was a 24 month period, coinciding with my 2-year plan. I guess I should start reading the fine print...
  • Reply 39 of 41
    It amazes me that AT&T is adding 4 more months to its device upgrade period. This is not in the best interest of the customer. How about no contract and lower cost for service? I would rather buy my phone or get financing through Paypal Bill Me Later than be tied up with a carrier such as AT&T and pay a high monthly bill for service. Check out these 2 sites to learn if it makes sense to get out of your contract and get $49 a month unlimited text, data, and voice or even FREE mobile phone service. [URL]http://tinyurl.com/loaubvy[/URL] [URL]http://tinyurl.com/k7e2lbl[/URL]
  • Reply 40 of 41
    It amazes me that AT&T is adding 4 more months to its device upgrade period. This is not in the best interest of the customer. How about no contract and lower cost for service? I would rather buy my phone or get financing through Paypal Bill Me Later than be tied up with a carrier such as AT&T and pay a high monthly bill for service. Check out these 2 sites to learn if it makes sense to get out of your contract and get $49 a month unlimited text, data, and voice or even FREE mobile phone service. [URL]http://tinyurl.com/loaubvy[/URL] [URL]http://tinyurl.com/k7e2lbl[/URL]