Comments

• Reply 41 of 311
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

No slots?

No optical drive?

No support for RAID (hard drives)?

More of a Mac maxi rather than a Mac Pro.

Granted, SSDs are amazing fast. But if you need bulk storage (and you want it inside the box), this will be disappointing.

I can understand lack of optical drive on "non-Pro" machines, but for those who produce video having to attach an external drive is just a bit of fugliness that is not needed here. Given that people who typically use Mac Pros tend to work with large data files (and may need to mail them to clients in some form other than electronic), the lack of a built-in optical drive should raise some eyebrows.

No slots? Gee, one thing that has kept Mac Pro units working as long as they have in the past has been the ability to swap in new graphic cards. TB2 may help a little, but it's not quite the same as a 16x PCIe slot. Further, there are other devices people might want to add to a new Mac Pro (or, more likely, pull out of an existing Mac Pro and stick in the new one) that the lack of slots will be problematic.

Cylindrical? Crap! A device that could have been easily rack-mounted would have been much more practical. Even if that wasn't in the cards, cylindrical is going to create space problems on desktops and other rectangular areas where Mac Pros currently set. Someone in Apple's industrial design department should have made this a little more "industrial". Granted, the Mac Pro user is *far* from Apple's demographic (which seems to like "thin is in") but you think they would have done a better job of designing something for the Pro users. Heck, I'd much rather they stuck with the old case. Pro users don't need something that would look good in a museum -- they need something practical. Cylindrical fails that. If this is an example of "can't innovate my ass", I'd prefer less innovation, thank you.

OTOH, the performance does look pretty damn good. Mac Pro users will be forced to upgrade on that point alone.

Does it not support RAID externally?

How does it create space problems? It's a fraction of the size and easily fits within the existing footprint.

• Reply 42 of 311
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

I can't think of a reason why a cylinder would even be an advantageous shape.  

• Reply 43 of 311
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    THOSE SPECS.

That case...
    Uhm...
    Yes... That case.

I will say, they pretty much kicked everyone's ideas of what the new one will look like right out the door. A single central cooling unit inside a cylinder is actually quite brilliant.

But eww, that case.

What is wrong with the case?
  • Reply 44 of 311
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

The machine is a great machine for a specific market segment and is highly expensive.

Just saying...

Yes, Game Development, Engineering Design, Modeling, Numerical Analysis, Compositing, Multimedia Production, Biosciences, Physics, etc.,

It has a broad market of professional uses if it isn't just fixed with Workstation CAD/CAM only GPGPUs. More to the point, by the time this machine comes out, AMD 9000 cards will be out. And by the end of 2014 AMD is moving to Excavator with AMD 9000/10000 GPGPUs via SoC. Meanwhile, this Mac Pro is fixed on its GPGPU capabilities and upgrades.

It's truly a static, fixed market device that does not integrate with pre-existing equipment unless these Pros spend a lot on third party connectivity to interoperate with this new product.

I don't expect this design to last for the next ten years. It'll be modified and the size will expand over time.

• Reply 45 of 311
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    darendino wrote: »
    It's a BUTT PLUG !!!!

Your comment says more about you than the product.
  • Reply 46 of 311
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

It's not. The heat dissipation options are at the top and one isn't going to expect much convective heat transfer across the system as the design looks like its a fuel cell.

• Reply 47 of 311
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    The case is fine. Especially it's small size. Since all of the storage is going to be external It'll be out of the way. How many times do you really need to touch your physical Mac. I can go weeks. There's no CD's to add in. Do I really need to touch the power button or do I just set up a scheduled start-stop. I just want to hear about the 4K displays. I just hope these machines don;t cost an arm and a Leg. And it's nice that they're made in the USA.
  • Reply 48 of 311
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    jlandd wrote: »
    I am thinking maybe it helps with airflow?
  • Reply 49 of 311
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

…upgrade the graphics cards…

HA HA HA HA HA GET A LOAD OF THIS GUY HE ACTUALLY WANTS TO UPGRADE HIS GRAPHICS HA HA HA HA HA

Seriously, I'm really upset. Now I have to waste $600 on a GTX 680, and it will be the last GPU I can ever get for my model. image

Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

No word as to when except later this year?

Fall, so before December 21.

Originally Posted by Root Beer View Post

I hope this comes with a hose and attachments.

Dyson may be suing soon for design infringement...

Just leave, please.

Did they put the ports so close to each other that you can't use two adjacent ones?

The ports look further apart than any ports on any other Mac. And since all the plugs for every single one of these type of ports is so small, you're manufacturing an "issue" where there has never been one for any Mac.

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

Apple once again proving they hate professionals.

You, once again proving that Apple has done something completely correct.

• Reply 50 of 311
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

The specs of the machine are brilliant. FirePro graphics card are nothing to sneer at on any level.

Doesn't matter when there are known driver issues with the FirePro and some pro apps that AMD is aware of and haven't fixed (ArcGIS,  Autodesk, even some issues in CS) but work perfectly fine on the Quadro.  And anyone that does CUDA is also now screwed.

• Reply 51 of 311
    Disappointed. Scaled down for all the wrong reasons.

How can you call it scaled down when it is offering well over twice the performance? I really don't understand the big box mentality this machine will significantly out perform the old one and probably in some ways more well more than 2 times. How is that anything less than professional?

Final judgement will have to wait for the actual shipping model but this machine just look very impressive as seen from this over view.
  • Reply 52 of 311
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote of the presentation:

[B]"Can't innovate anymore, MY ASS!!!"[/B]
  • Reply 53 of 311
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's not. The heat dissipation options are at the top and one isn't going to expect much convective heat transfer across the system as the design looks like its a fuel cell.

Seems to me that a cylinder, with air intake at the bottom and venting at the top, would have better convection cooling potential with fewer fans. Kinda like one of those charcoal chimneys when you're getting ready to barbeque.

It's a Mac Pro and hibachi in one!

• Reply 54 of 311
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Yeah but that's gonna get stuck under the desk to make room for those multiple 4K monitors anyway.... that's why they added the lights to the ports, it's dark under there.

:)

• Reply 55 of 311
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    I think we're going to see upgraded graphics cards done externally through Thunderbolt 2 which is why they decided to debut it here. Just my theory.
    Apple has historically been trying to keep people from tinkering inside its machines, so by releasing basically a badass Mac Mini with a way to add on externally what you previously would have internally... well that's about par for the course.
    You can't tinker with the insides, but you can add on more powerful attachments so it's flexible. Fine by me as long as I'm right on this. I have a videocard that would never fit into that little case.
  • Reply 56 of 311
    The specs of the machine are brilliant. FirePro graphics card are nothing to sneer at on any level.
    But that case is definitely something to raise an eyebrow at. How the hell are you supposed to upgrade the graphics cards in future?

You most likely can't. Upgradeable GPUs will quickly become a thing of the past anyways, I wouldn't get too worked up over it.
  • Reply 57 of 311
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    With flash HD memory they were able to scale it down tremendously, as well as to not include an optical drive...So I imagine they wanted to really amp up the IO and processing specs hence the smaller form factor. You can just plug in external devices and get fast IO...As far as upgrading it...that will be interesting to see.
  • Reply 58 of 311

Look at the new info on Apple's site. It answers a lot of your questions.

• Reply 59 of 311
    Isn't it Six Thunderbolt 2 ports?

(The Keynote stream had 6 Firewire 2 ports)

I suspect he mis spoke on that one. This is why it is common to have a bit of a delay in the posting of videos to the net, it gives companies a chance to edit for mistakes.
  • Reply 60 of 311
    p40whkp40whk Posts: 19member

Kind of looks like a Warp Core to me! But seriously, it will be nice to see a teardown and evaluation of this cool looking (my opinion) machine.