Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macronin wrote: »
    Elaborate, please…!

Where're we headed with computers? Hardware and software for the last six years have been pointing us there, ever so slowly. Touchscreens. Slowly because people actually own computers now, and a big jump, like the past two, can't just happen all at once; John Q. Public would just reject it outright, even if it's infinitely better. You have to make them yearn for it. Make them think that they were the ones with the idea in the first place. Make them believe that they wanted it all along and that you're fulfilling their wishes, instead of the other way around. Then when you finally do it, they welcome it with open arms (and even an "about time").

Apple has had two product families so far. First, the Apple line. That was keyboard+screen. Then the Macintosh line, that was mouse+keyboard. When it goes fully multitouch on the desktop, I can't see them keeping the Macintosh name around, which would lend itself to a rename and start over of the OS that runs on said computers.

In its introduction, Steve said that OS X sets their software roadmap up for the next 20 years. Before this decade is out, that 20 years will be up. And at the same time, we'll have reached a point where touchscreen computers have so permeated our lives that we'll be demanding the UX in ever larger formats. I see a 13" and/or 15" iPad before long. And then eventually the 27" iMac will become the 27"... ???

You can see it in the design of everything they make, hardware and software. The iMac is a sliver now. Compare it to the last generation! The iMac is a sliver because... that sliver has an angle. That angle is comfortable. That angle is comfortable... for typing. So when that glorious day finally comes, the ??? will just slide right on down to your desktop and you'll reach out and type on it as comfortably as you do a physical keyboard today. Switch it back on up if you want to watch media or something. No neck strain, no arm strain. Multitouch, in a glorious 27' package. And then 42" for those of us who want our entire desktops to be amazing.

Been saying this for, what, I guess six years now: there will be multitouch desktops from Apple, and they'll redefine what we call a "computer" as much as the Macintosh 128k and the Apple ][ before them.

As for the product family's name, well, it's obviously going to be named after an apple cultivar. Why not...

Jonathan?

Now, he's crazy humble, so that might not fly with him, but it fits perfectly. A tribute to the man who will have by that time defined nearly three generations of product design across the entire technology industry, be it in the form of the original or the thefts.

I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Where're we headed with computers?.......Snip....I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.

Well, this sort of thing pretty much defines my ideal Mac -- or whatever they would call it. So I hope you're right about that part.

Giving up the name would be a ballsy move, though. So would refusing to go with the iName convention.

But it's Apple....they've never been afraid of killing even the most successful product lines.
  • Reply 63 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where're we headed with computers? Hardware and software for the last six years have been pointing us there, ever so slowly. Touchscreens. Slowly because people actually own computers now, and a big jump, like the past two, can't just happen all at once; John Q. Public would just reject it outright, even if it's infinitely better. You have to make them yearn for it. Make them think that they were the ones with the idea in the first place. Make them believe that they wanted it all along and that you're fulfilling their wishes, instead of the other way around. Then when you finally do it, they welcome it with open arms (and even an "about time").

Apple has had two product families so far. First, the Apple line. That was keyboard+screen. Then the Macintosh line, that was mouse+keyboard. When it goes fully multitouch on the desktop, I can't see them keeping the Macintosh name around, which would lend itself to a rename and start over of the OS that runs on said computers.

In its introduction, Steve said that OS X sets their software roadmap up for the next 20 years. Before this decade is out, that 20 years will be up. And at the same time, we'll have reached a point where touchscreen computers have so permeated our lives that we'll be demanding the UX in ever larger formats. I see a 13" and/or 15" iPad before long. And then eventually the 27" iMac will become the 27"... ???

You can see it in the design of everything they make, hardware and software. The iMac is a sliver now. Compare it to the last generation! The iMac is a sliver because... that sliver has an angle. That angle is comfortable. That angle is comfortable... for typing. So when that glorious day finally comes, the ??? will just slide right on down to your desktop and you'll reach out and type on it as comfortably as you do a physical keyboard today. Switch it back on up if you want to watch media or something. No neck strain, no arm strain. Multitouch, in a glorious 27' package. And then 42" for those of us who want our entire desktops to be amazing.

Been saying this for, what, I guess six years now: there will be multitouch desktops from Apple, and they'll redefine what we call a "computer" as much as the Macintosh 128k and the Apple ][ before them.

As for the product family's name, well, it's obviously going to be named after an apple cultivar. Why not...

Jonathan?

Now, he's crazy humble, so that might not fly with him, but it fits perfectly. A tribute to the man who will have by that time defined nearly three generations of product design across the entire technology industry, be it in the form of the original or the thefts.

I want a 42" Jony for my desk. Most will want a 27" Jony. And on the go, people will have their 10", 13", and 15" Jonys. Or what have you.

Terrific post, Tal'.  Top marks for that one.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 64 of 66

Heard of the Apple award winner, 'Procreate' painting app' for iPad?

It's awesome.  I had it (pre-award status) for some time now.  It's blisteringly fast.  It shows the old guard of Painter and Photoshop how it is done.  Simple.  Elegant.  Low footprint.  Get out of your face interface.  But scorches them for speed.  ie a new era of new thinking as we move to a new era of new 'desktops' (and maybe the iPad will be the ultimate desktop one day?  The 'Arms' race continues at a incredible curve of performance...with Rogue 6 to be included next!  Oh for an iPad Pro...)

Put that baby on a 15 inch retina iPad?  I'm there.

Put it on a Touchscreen 'Jony?'  x27 inches retina?  I'm there.

*nods.

Nerdgasm dream...  *deep in thought.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 65 of 66

Interesting idea to use Johnathon Ive's names as he comes up to ceremonial amount of time of designing Apple products.

I doubt they'll use his name.  But it's a good idea.

Guess they'll stick with the iPad name...and iOS.

I expect by the time you mention, Os 'Ten' and the Mac will be to the iPad and iOS as the Apple was to the Mac?

For now, they have separate forks where each is optimised for their product.

To be honest.  I consider the iPad a 'Mac.'  The iPod and iPhone Macs as well.  They're the true inheritors of the title, 'For the rest of us.'

It's no accident iOS got the biggest cheer at WWDC.  It's the most intimate 'Mac' yet.

When you've sold 600 million of them?

You can kind of see how it's headed where you're sayin'.

And with an unprecedented amount of 'Mac' apps on them too. ;)

Who'd have thought that when Steve originally unveiled the iPod to a bemused public...

Lemon Bon Bon.