Apple's OS X Mavericks hints at future Retina Thunderbolt Displays and iMacs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Of course you are correct, but you are just pulling that price out of your a**. Since we're playing that game, the competition will also struggle if Apple can release a 4K display for $899, $799, or even $199.

But Apple could sell it for $1799, and still pressure competition.

And let's face it: They will be selling it to go with the Pro, mostly.  And I'm guessing the price on that will be pretty significant.

• Reply 22 of 66
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    chabig wrote: »
    Why do you have to wonder? Look it up..."Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display." Reference, http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

Cool thanks. Looks like it won't be able to do a 4k or retina display though.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I'm still waiting for some sort of dock that connects to thunderbolt, like sony did for the vaio Z.

Well, the 27" ThunderBolt Display is also a ThunderBolt dock…

And a quick Google search for 'ThunderBolt docks' shows models from Belkin, Matrox & Sonnet…

I am sure others are also in the works…

• Reply 24 of 66
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

dots...  connect... the... dots...   Apple doesn't release a 3 4K screen capable MacPro without a display to exploit that capability

It was a rhetorical question. Perhaps I should have put a image to indicate I wasn't seriously asking the question.

• Reply 25 of 66

Wouldn't a 5,120 x 2,880 display be correctly termed a 5K display (since apparently we can't go by the vertical pixel count after 1080p)? I'm already hearing Tim Cook's marketing voice in my head, "We're introducing the first commerically available 5K display. Apple Thunderbolt 5K Display."

Cue Resolution War II.

• Reply 26 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

I think when apple releases their first 4K product they will make it a big deal.

Perhaps a stand out feature for their apple tv, with the retina imac and thunderbolt display to soon follow

Loved it when Homer Simpson snuck into the U2 concert disguised as their potatoman. Back on topic, I think the higher res will hit the Thunderbolt display first IMO. The reason being that they haven't bothered to tweak the current TD with the fully laminated screen like the new iMacs have (yet). They might just jump right to 4K and do both of those steps at once.

• Reply 27 of 66
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Oh, I found this funny:

"Speculation about a 27-inch Retina display from Apple also comes as new rumorspublished this week by hit-or-miss publication DigiTimes claim that Apple is planning to release a new iMac in the second half of calendar 2013."

Talk about being generous!

• Reply 28 of 66
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Ok where are the screen shots of Mavericks?
  • Reply 29 of 66
    xe0nxe0n Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Your ignorance is the thing that doesn't make sense, at all.

Who the hell told you that after 10.9 we will have 11? What's wrong with 10.10 or 10.11? Heck, why OS XI? Who told you that?

So much ignorance... Everywhere. This reminds me those going berserk because the iPhone 4s looked like the 4 and wasn't called 5. The press would've been totally different if it was called iPhone 5, even if it was the exact same device.

Ironic really considering your arrogant attitude. 

I am sorry, but [Quote] "Who the hell" caused you to be deluded into thinking he was ACTUALLY meaning XI ???

Yes ignorance everywhere and you sir have just been added to the list ;)

• Reply 30 of 66
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    xe0n wrote: »
    Ironic really considering your arrogant attitude. 

I am sorry, but "Who the hell" caused you to be deluded into thinking he was ACTUALLY meaning XI ???

Yes ignorance everywhere and you sir have just been added to the list ;)

Well, the guy did say OS XI.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »
    If they can make a Cinema display at that resolution for $999, the competition is going to struggle to match it because they are selling 4K 30" displays for way higher than that.

I was wondering what the prices are, and found:

1. Sharp $5,350 ...but it's a TV, not a computer display - BIG difference
    2. Ah, here's their computer monitor, $5,500
    3. And one from Asus, $5,000

To easily understand these monitors, should they price 4k monitors for, say, 4k¿
  • Reply 32 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I was wondering what the prices are, and found:

1. Sharp $5,350 ...but it's a TV, not a computer display - BIG difference

2. Ah, here's their computer monitor, $5,500

3. And one from Asus, $5,000

To easily understand these monitors, should they price 4k monitors for, say, 4k¿

Wonder how much this one will be? http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/pc/new-asus-4k-computer-monitor-to-debut-in-june-1156105

• Reply 33 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Hopefully this will bring a 24-inch Thunderbolt display as well.

Why?

Originally Posted by davidinsf View Post

OS X 10.9 is the end of the line, not the beginning of a new one... After 10.9, comes 11 

Who says? Why? Explain. Hint: you're totally wrong.

• Reply 34 of 66
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I figured they'd stop at 4K rather than double it but it does allow them to have direct pixel mapping with the current resolution. I don't suppose it would matter if lower machines couldn't drive the full resolution because they can just run the display at 2560 x 1440 like they do now.

If they can make a Cinema display at that resolution for $999, the competition is going to struggle to match it because they are selling 4K 30" displays for way higher than that.

I figured that too, especially as it's the typical resolution gpu drivers stop at currently. I think you're focused on the wrong thing here, in spite of your recent victories in terms of predictions. What matters is when they can release a 4K display

• Reply 35 of 66
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    I honestly think that Apple will, at some point, release a 4k screen %u2013 that's obvious. However I am positive that the inclusion of this Wall paper is just because the Mac Pro can run monitors at 4k. They would want a wallpaper that could support it when someone plops down the cash for the pro, it would look pretty lame if you connect all that stuff together and the Mac Pro had a signature wallpaper too small for the screen it's boasting it can support.
  • Reply 36 of 66

Looks like Anandtech is claiming the Asus PQ321 4K display will go for $3,799. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7051/computex-2013-asus-pq321-3840-x-2160-display-3799

I think I have to go with PhilBoogie and agree that a 4K display from Apple will be at least $4K.

• Reply 37 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stehsegler View Post

Firstly I don't get the Mavericks and Sarah Palin thing. Mavericks is awesome and leaves open an infinite possibility of cool surf spot names. How about "bone yards" or "sunset" or back yards" or "hookipa" or "kirra" or cloud break" or "g land" or "teahupoo" ... endless...

In regards to the display, when they first mentioned the 4k thunderbolt display I right away checked the specs for the 27inch screen. Had missed something? I hadn't. The current 27 inch screen isn't a 4K model. That said, I expect they will launch a 4K panel sooner rather than later.

Given they talked about, IIRC, iconic California locales I'm not even certain they've limited themselves to surf spots and while as evocative as Windansea, The Shores, Black's, Swami's or Trestles might be for me or anyone else with every Beach Boys album ever released, lol, there are other things such as Yosemite Valley, Half Dome and such that might spread the theme around.... OR beaches rather than just breaks. 

Well I now know which playlist I'm commuting home on tonight. image

• Reply 38 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    chabig wrote: »
    Of course you are correct, but you are just pulling that price out of your a**. Since we're playing that game, the competition will also struggle if Apple can release a 4K display for $899, $799, or even $199.

$999 is the price of their current Thunderbolt display - they tend to try to maintain their price points. As others pointed out to me, the iPad didn't go up in price after going Retina. The MBPs did but I think SSD played a part there too. The display is kind of overpriced now - I think that's how they maintain the price points, similar to consoles. Lower margins at the start but maintain the prices to profit more before the refresh. Manufacturers like Dell sometimes start higher than Apple but they keep dropping prices over time.

The iMacs did go up in price with the laminated displays by $100 so maybe they'll have to increase it a bit but I doubt they'll want to be going above $1499.
    hmm wrote:
    I figured that too, especially as it's the typical resolution gpu drivers stop at currently. I think you're focused on the wrong thing here, in spite of your recent victories in terms of predictions. What matters is when they can release a 4K display

I had a look through the ole posts. I even had 6 Thunderbolt ports with multiple controllers originally - they ended up using 3 controllers after all. I had a single Xeon Cube, a single AMD 7970 (around the same performance as the FirePro) and a Xeon Phi co-processor, which was dropped later after seeing how much they cost:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150659/tim-cook-confirms-updated-mac-pro-coming-in-2013/120

I love this quote from nht:

"the box Marvin suggests can't have the same amount of GPU and dedicated hardware that the current Mac Pro can support running at the same speeds that they do today"

They even made it smaller than mine.

"My Cube would have 6 Thunderbolt ports with 16 lanes for the GPU"

This is where they benefitted from PCIe 3 because they could use half the lanes for the Thunderbolt ports to leave enough for two GPUs and storage.

As for the timing of the 4K display, it can't come out before these Thunderbolt 2 ports arrive. Given that Apple typically markets these alongside laptops, I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that every Mac (besides the Air obviously) will get Thunderbolt 2. This could mean no iMac, Mini, MBP either until the Mac Pro arrives. I don't suppose TB 2 would be all that big of a hold up to manufacture but I don't know why they bothered with Redwood Ridge when Falcon Ridge was only a few months out. I bet some of the Thunderbolt peripheral makers have been holding off for Falcon Ridge.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The 4K seems to make sense for HDTV devices connected via AppleTV and Airplay to have such a large wallpaper, or multiple displays [3 across] to have one contiguous wallpaper split across 3 views.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rob55 wrote: »
    This is just speculation on my part, but I think it's a given that new Cinema Displays are on their way to take advantage of the new Mac Pro's capabilities. The obvious question being when.

That is easy, in the fall.

I say that because I imagine Apple introducing the Mac Pro as a system with new display and a disk array solution.