Google announces acquisition of mapping & traffic service Waze

Comments

• Reply 61 of 130
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

They only made it available to developers 6 months after apple. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/googles-new-3d-maps-destroy-manhattan-in-the-wake-of-apples-flyover

I'm not convinced they actually implemented either. This is the only article that speaks of it anywhere on the internet and it says it is to get it not that it was ever released.  They even removed all mention of the features for each version.  

Why are you comparing desktop to mobile? Stop. You're wrong.

From last summer when it was releasedhttp://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/06/take-flight-through-new-3d-cities-on.html

• Reply 62 of 130
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

Deleted, like so many of us have done.

• Reply 63 of 130
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Apple maps is working fine for me. Sure there were some mistakes early on and they also need to respond and fix errors in a more timely manner but I see big improvements. It is hard to complain when not long ago I was using a car navigation system where I had to manually type in the address which was very tedious and pay outrageous prices for map updates. 

Amazing that people are getting a fantastic and FREE service where they can simply speak where they want to go and get almost instantaneous voice navigation and they still complain. AT&T and Verizon are the ones that really hate Apple maps, Waze, Google Maps and others because they used to make big money by charging for navigation. They probably still offer that as a paid extra and some idiots probably don't realize you don't need to pay for that anymore. 

Maps (and I mean all mapping apps not just Apple) will improve over time. Nothing replaces good old common sense though and that is definitely not improving over time if people can drive hours out of the way and not realize something may be wrong. 

• Reply 64 of 130
    herbapou wrote: »
    Well, Apple also does have a desktop 3d map beta because its the new OS-X. It went beta yesterday. btw Iove there new integration of the desktop map with the mobile map. Very well done imo.

You call that integration bwahahaha. sending directions to your phone manually is 2010 and it was called chrome to phone.

How google maps does it.

I search for a new place on google maps or google search, seconds later its in google now with directions. Bike, walking, driving, public transportation, no need to think about it. Also if I open the maps app it remembers the search I did.
  • Reply 65 of 130
    The hatred for google on this site is amazing, it brings me such joy to see so many crazies get but hurt over a public company.

There is no difference between apple and google. Both are in it to make money, both have admirable and discouraging qualities.

I love my ipad and my apple tv and I love my android phone and google services.

Google makes the best software/service package in the known universe. The sooner you accept that the better your life will be.
  • Reply 66 of 130
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Oh well, another independent community assimilated by the Borg mothership.  I've used Waze off and on, and never thought much of it one way or another.  If anything, Google's traffic data is good for the most part (with occasional inaccurate data), but it looks like they're trying to bump up the accuracy (and of course, gather a new group of users to track). 

While I like Apple Maps' directions and basic functionality (the vector maps scale much better than the tiled maps), the traffic data is one glaring weakness compared to Google Maps.  While it's accurate, there's just no granularity to the information that the Maps app displays.  It will display a red line for gridlocked conditions and warning signs for construction and accidents, but nothing to show slowing conditions or other less-than-optimal traffic flow.  Google Maps does go to the opposite extreme by showing yellow and red lines everywhere for free flowing local streets that just happened to have low speed limits and a lot of intersections.  Neither solution is ideal, so I just stick with drive-time estimates from 511.org. 

• Reply 67 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Google has been collecting traffic data for years.  I'm interested to see what comes from this acquisition.

It's the realtime updates (user contributed?) about stoppages, delays etc. that seemed to be Waze's forte.

• Reply 68 of 130
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    The hatred for google on this site is amazing, it brings me such joy to see so many crazies get but hurt over a public company.

There is no difference between apple and google. Both are in it to make money, both have admirable and discouraging qualities.

I love my ipad and my apple tv and I love my android phone and google services.

Google makes the best software/service package in the known universe. The sooner you accept that the better your life will be.

Laughably untrue. Android is a hobbyist joke.
  • Reply 69 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Oh well, another independent community assimilated by the Borg mothership.  I've used Waze off and on, and never thought much of it one way or another.  If anything, Google's traffic data is good for the most part (with occasional inaccurate data), but it looks like they're trying to bump up the accuracy (and of course, gather a new group of users to track). 

While I like Apple Maps' directions and basic functionality (the vector maps scale much better than the tiled maps), the traffic data is one glaring weakness compared to Google Maps.  While it's accurate, there's just no granularity to the information that the Maps app displays.  It will display a red line for gridlocked conditions and warning signs for construction and accidents, but nothing to show slowing conditions or other less-than-optimal traffic flow.  Google Maps does go to the opposite extreme by showing yellow and red lines everywhere for free flowing local streets that just happened to have low speed limits and a lot of intersections.  Neither solution is ideal, so I just stick with drive-time estimates from 511.org. 

Re: "granularity"? On my iPhone 5 the line weight is proportional to the traffic interuption. At least that's what I see on highway routes, which are my main commuting routes of interest. Nope, just took a peek at a surface street section and there's differing red line-weights there as well.

• Reply 70 of 130
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Well, Apple also does have a desktop 3d map beta because its the new OS-X. It went beta yesterday. btw Iove there new integration of the desktop map with the mobile map. Very well done imo.

Can you customize it? For example can the user manipulate the map with overlays and icons the way you can with the Google Maps API? Can you embed a map into a web page? I don't do beta OS anymore. Just curious.

• Reply 71 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

There is no difference between apple and google. Google makes the best software/service package in the known universe.

I didn't know the Delusion Express made regular stops here. Guess the line to Insanity is out for repairs or something.

• Reply 72 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

We get it, but no hurt.

macfandave wrote: »
    Make sure you delete your account before you get rid of your Waze app.

When you request an account deletion, they ask you why you want to leave, and I made it clear that the Google acquisition disgusted me.

Ooh, top tip, there. Thanks, I'll do that!

Same.

Obviously, Google Maps isn't nearly as good as the shills would have one believe otherwise the blatant copying of Apple Maps in the latest Google Maps Beta and the purchase of Waze would be unnecessary.

Mercedes updates even the S Class. And you're a fool if you think that Google maps is a copy of Apple maps since the Apple version is the copy.

Like Street View, you mean¿
    genovelle wrote: »
    . This is the only article that speaks of it anywhere on the internet and it says it is to get it not that it was ever released.

So you've finished the Internet then? Care to tell us the plot?
  • Reply 73 of 130
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Apple users (which I am one) generally have great affection for their Macs and perceive Google at best as untrustworthy, and at worst, as the enemy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.

Bigdaddyp about sums it up.

• Reply 74 of 130
    neo-techneo-tech Posts: 38member
    Crap.
    This is my daily go to app for traffic and routing.
    Rethinking that now :(
  • Reply 75 of 130
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

They only made it available to developers 6 months after apple. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/22/googles-new-3d-maps-destroy-manhattan-in-the-wake-of-apples-flyover.

I'm not convinced they actually implemented either. This is the only article that speaks of it anywhere on the internet and it says it is to get it not that it was ever released.  They even removed all mention of the features for each version.  

I have been using vector based maps on my Android phone for years now.  What was released last month at IO was a desktop vector based Google Maps that integrated Maps and Earth, added some useful "related" search features and a UI facelift.  Take a look at any Android phone released in the last 2 years and see for yourself.

• Reply 76 of 130
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Laughably untrue. Android is a hobbyist joke.

The last sentence is particularly so. The only thing missing is "resistance is futile."

• Reply 77 of 130
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It's the realtime updates (user contributed?) about stoppages, delays etc. that seemed to be Waze's forte.

I have found Google's traffic layer remarkably accurate - at least in Atlanta.  It's much better than the one on my latest Garmin!  I still prefer the Garmin for navigation in the US, but occasionally use Google Navigation when I search for something on the fly.  But I always use Google Maps for traffic.  I like the send to car integration with the Nissan Leaf, but it's still clumsy.  iOS7's car integration looks much better if it indeed hijacks the whole in-car screen.  I find the in-built car navigation to be pretty awful, although again, the one on the Leaf seems to be half way decent and can be used in a pinch.

• Reply 78 of 130
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    I thikn this was more of an F-U move to FB and Apple, both who could probably use Wazers more than Google (which has that feature in Android, IIRC).
  • Reply 79 of 130
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    steelraven wrote: »
    Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.

Apple Maps is getting better and better as well.
    droidftw wrote: »
    Google has been collecting traffic data for years.  I'm interested to see what comes from this acquisition.

...collecting personal data for years.
  • Reply 80 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    chabig wrote: »
    He is serious. Apple introduced vector maps and 3D flyovers. A year later, Google introduced vector maps and airborne flyovers...

Google had vector maps on Android way before Apple used it, and most 'satellite' views were from a flyover, and vectoring wasn't in the iPhone maps app because Apple chose for it not to be until they made their own app.