Google announces acquisition of mapping & traffic service Waze

Comments

• Reply 101 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Hmmm, I haven't noticed any differences in the line weights (I use an iPad 3).  I guess my issue is that the Apple Maps don't have the equivalent of the green line shown by Google Maps.  Those road segments on Apple Maps with no traffic lines either mean free flow traffic or no data.  There's no easy way to differentiate. 

The no-color is a good point, differentiaing "no data" from "clear" would be welcome. 

I'll take a look at my iPad 3 when I get home. Even when I'm zoomed out a bit I can see the diference. Look at the 101 just north of Cupertino....

• Reply 102 of 130
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Google maps is getting better and better. I don't see why all the hate towards google.

This isn't GoogleInsider...

• Reply 103 of 130

Listen, I am really a nobody, but what you're asking is well OUTSIDE the norm for the AVERAGE consumer. 

You are asking this question as a tech person - where the other 98% of the people are basic consumers - I mean - Come on!!

• Reply 104 of 130
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Why are you comparing desktop to mobile? Stop. You're wrong.
    From last summer when it was released: <a href="http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/06/take-flight-through-new-3d-cities-on.html" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/06/take-flight-through-new-3d-cities-on.html</a>;
    you are right this was the desktop and wrong they did not RELEASE a comparable feature for android even by last december. "Were Google to launch a 3D Maps app for Android with similar specifications to its current desktop maps product, it would only work on about 29 percent of the platform's reported installed base of devices, just like the company's Google Now, which requires Jelly Bean 4.1."
  • Reply 105 of 130
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Why are you comparing desktop to mobile? Stop. You're wrong.
    From last summer when it was released: <a href="http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/06/take-flight-through-new-3d-cities-on.html" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2012/06/take-flight-through-new-3d-cities-on.html</a>;
    Google Earth is not android Maps. Its also funny that Google who does everything in beta never mentioned a word about this until May 27, 2012 Just 16 days after the first public leak about Apple dropping them and doing their own maps with flyover. http://www.todaysiphone.com/2012/05/ios-6-rumor-apple-replacing-google-maps-with-in-house-program/ What a coincidence.
  • Reply 106 of 130
    genovelle wrote: »
    you are right this was the desktop and wrong they did not RELEASE a comparable feature for android even by last december. "Were Google to launch a 3D Maps app for Android with similar specifications to its current desktop maps product, it would only work on about 29 percent of the platform's reported installed base of devices, just like the company's Google Now, which requires Jelly Bean 4.1."

It's available in Google Earth, not Google Maps. So yes, there is a comparable feature for Android, just not in the app called “Maps".

As for your other point, neither Google Maps nor Google Earth is tied to a system version. Both are updated independently through the Play Store. Google Now is the only major system app currently tied to Jellybean. Chrome is the only system app that is tied to ICS and higher. Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Earth, YouTube, Drive, Google+, Hangouts, Navigation, Offers, Books, Magazines, Movies, Music, Translate, Voice, and Wallet are all updated regardless of Android version.

If you're going to spend so much time deriding Android, you really should learn more about it.
  • Reply 107 of 130
    It's available in Google Earth, not Google Maps. So yes, there is a comparable feature for Android, just not in the app called “Maps".

As for your other point, neither Google Maps nor Google Earth is tied to a system version. Both are updated independently through the Play Store. Google Now is the only major system app currently tied to Jellybean. Chrome is the only system app that is tied to ICS and higher. Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Earth, YouTube, Drive, Google+, Hangouts, Navigation, Offers, Books, Magazines, Movies, Music, Translate, Voice, and Wallet are all updated regardless of Android version.

If you're going to spend so much time deriding Android, you really should learn more about it.
    That was a quote from an article announcing the feature. And 3D is tied to dual processors and screen resolution according to their website. Its funny how they make it hard to figure out what it works with. I know more than I want to because tech people I worked with talking people into them and then I End up having to trouble shoot them. The point is that Google rushed this feature to market after the Apple leaks to steal their thunder. The reason their I/O was so quite this year is because Apple fixed their leaky pipes and very little came out before they hit the stage outside of iRadio. By expelling Google and Samsung from access to their product pipeline, the dynamic is about to change.
  • Reply 108 of 130
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    I don't see what all the map hubbub is about.

I've been using apple's map for a while now and think its pretty good. Good enough that I haven't needed the g map app.

Given its that good even as it was rushed to market, and they are dedicated to continual improvement at any cost, I don't see how it doesn't keep getting better and how the google app will survive on iPhone with any relevance.

Not to mention it was a pretty great way to flip google the bird!
  • Reply 109 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You need to download two different apps to do the same as one app would do on iOS?  Sounds very obtuse. 

• Reply 110 of 130
    You need to download two different apps to do the same as one app would do on iOS?  Sounds very obtuse. 

No need to download them, they're built in. But you're right, they need to unify them.
  • Reply 111 of 130
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    According to the people on this site, anything that isn't first to market in any category is a copy. If Google was first to market in mobile mapping then Apple copied Google. If it was Nokia then that was who Apple copied.

Nokia was doing nicely, monetizing their NavTek purchase by selling map packs etc for their mobile maps, long before Google came on the scene with their ad revenue supported "free" maps.

In the UK Google used a killswitch to remove turn by turn directions from users who enabled it prematurely.

Of course it was Google so it was perfectly acceptable.

Apple has never resorted to doing this.
  • Reply 112 of 130

I choose Google No!
  • Reply 113 of 130
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    Goodbye Waze! App deleted.
  • Reply 114 of 130
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Nokia was doing nicely, monetizing their NavTek purchase by selling map packs etc for their mobile maps, long before Google came on the scene with their ad revenue supported "free" maps.

Yours isn't the worst bit of misinformation in the thread by far but Nokia didn't buy Navteq until late in 2007, well after the launch of Google Maps for mobile in 2005
  • Reply 115 of 130
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yours isn't the worst bit of misinformation in the thread by far but Nokia didn't buy Navteq until late in 2007, well after the launch of Google Maps for mobile in 2005

The Java based version with no turn by turn and no offline caching, more a web app than anything?

Features Nokia introduced with the N95 in 2007 with inbuilt GPS and a native Symbian application.
  • Reply 116 of 130
    hill60 wrote: »
    The Java based version with no turn by turn and no offline caching, more a web app than anything?

Features Nokia introduced with the N95 in 2007 with inbuilt GPS and a native Symbian application.

Did Nokia overpay for Navteq because they were spooked by Google's Map plans? Plausible. Nokia, Apple, Google, Samsung, MS and all the other mobile players pay attention to what works and what doesn't, what the "other guys" are doing and how they might get in on it if there's money to be made.

In any case if you move the goalposts enough you're sure to hit 'em eventually Hill. Now you've changed to Nokia rolled out their navigation app before Google rather than Nokia had their own mobile maps before Google did.. Well okay then.
  • Reply 117 of 130
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Oh, look...Google gets to ruin another great independent product. YouTube became AdTube. Waze will now go the same way.
  • Reply 118 of 130
    bio9bio9 Posts: 6member
    Someone was bound to buy them. The service was pretty good. Just sad Google bought them, though again...not surprising.

I am done with who did what first. The reality is that there isn't anything really new. I prefer Apple's experience over Google. First Apple goes to great lengths to make sure the product works. Sure there have been some misses...but compared to google wave, Google Plus, and other total disasters I will take an Apple miss any day. Google has yet to produce one product that wasn't an ad or based around ads.

Which leads me to the second reason I don't like Google. If I am not buying a product I am the product.

• Reply 119 of 130
    bio9 wrote: »
    Someone was bound to buy them. The service was pretty good. Just sad Google bought them, though again...not surprising.

I am done with who did what first. The reality is that there isn't anything really new. I prefer Apple's experience over Google. First Apple goes to great lengths to make sure the product works. Sure there have been some misses...but compared to google wave, Google Plus, and other total disasters I will take an Apple miss any day. Google has yet to produce one product that wasn't an ad or based around ads.

Which leads me to the second reason I don't like Google. If I am not buying a product I am the product.

Anywhere there's money to be made from your interests you become the product in some respects. Even Apple recognizes they've done a relatively poor job of "selling you" to advertisers, monetizing their user-base in effect, and will be putting a lot more upcoming emphasis on it. (search iAd workbench) There is absolutely no avoiding it. The privacy controls the different players offer us are simply pacifiers. Thank goodness that better, more effective ads to benefit commercial activities are the endgame for now. The worst you see is ad for something that has no interest for you personally.
  • Reply 120 of 130
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

They basically bought it so that Apple wouldnt. They're utterly terrified they might lose the monopoly they currently have on maps at the hands of Apple. 

Google can't and won't lose their monopoly unless Apple makes their maps available on android and PC. Advertisers and programmers need to reach the entire market.  I think Apple will eventually get there.  Mavericks will have maps on desktop.  Next step is Maps on Android and PC.