Rumor: Apple suppliers now shipping 'large number' of parts for low-cost iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    stelligent wrote: »
    You underestimate people here. You underestimate their ability to deny being wrong, to shape-shift their original position into new reality. Crow is simply not on the menu in this venue. Everything tastes like chicken, make that quail, to them.

It's not people here. It's just people. Once here you told a poster they were using a mixed metaphor when they were not. When I corrected you, you dug your heels in so hard you must have needed new shoes the next day. So if you're going to blanket everyone here with that accusation just make sure you're on the top of the list.
  • Reply 22 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

It's not people here. It's just people. Once here you told a poster they were using a mixed metaphor when they were not. When I corrected you, you dug your heels in so hard you must have needed new shoes the next day. So if you're going to blanket everyone here with that accusation just make sure you're on the top of the list.

So you're saying that he didn't change his original position?

... but but isn't that what Stelligent was talking about? People denying by changing positions.

I'm confused.

• Reply 23 of 73
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    drblank wrote: »
    I'm wondering when Apple is going to sign up China Mobile.
    My guess is when this phone is released
  • Reply 24 of 73

So you're saying that he didn't change his original position?

... but but isn't that what Stelligent was talking about? People denying by changing positions.

I'm confused.

You're right it wasn't a denial that involved changing of positions. But when I read "you underestimate their ability to deny being wrong" the irony level went to 11. I even got his "best medical opinion" concerning mixed metaphors. I admit to overlooking his more nuanced point in his post. That's my bad.
  • Reply 25 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

You're right it wasn't a denial that involved changing of positions. But when I read "you underestimate their ability to deny being wrong" the irony level went to 11. I even got his "best medical opinion" concerning mixed metaphors. I admit to overlooking his more nuanced point in his post. That's my bad.

I'm not going to argue with you.  image

• Reply 26 of 73
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Methinks there shall be a lot of crow eating on this site for all the people who said that there is no way that Apple would ever do this.

Apple will *NEVER* build a cheap phone.  It would be a violation of everything Apple is about.

<Apple releases cheap phone>

That is not a cheap phone.  It is amazing that they can put that much innovation into an inexpensive phone.  For the price, that quality is amazing, and now the rest of the world can enjoy Apple awesomeness.

I don't see any 'crow eating' coming any time soon :p    Learn to AppleInsider.

• Reply 27 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    frood wrote: »
    Learn to AppleInsider.

AppleInsider: Not just a noun anymore.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

• Reply 29 of 73
    ...possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

No way would that happen.
  • Reply 30 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No way would that happen.

The exercise was to try and determine what would be removed to make it cheaper, if at all Apple would introduce such a product, which I still don't see. So what is currently in the iPhone that users who would buy a cheaper version, would not need that could be removed to make it cheaper? 

• Reply 31 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    What would be removed from the iPhone to make it cheaper? What would the iPhone 4s become? As I agree, if anything, the 4s would become the entry phone. But look at Apple's entry notebook, the MBA and entry computer the Mac Mini, both all aluminum. 

If anything, they will follow the iPod Touch redesign and remove a camera, possibly items like Gyro and Compass. 

Gyro and compass? Not at all likely as those are used in both motion and location tracking, pretty important pieces of data for both the user and Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Apple will *NEVER* build a cheap phone.  It would be a violation of everything Apple is about.

<Apple releases cheap phone>

That is not a cheap phone.  It is amazing that they can put that much innovation into an inexpensive phone.  For the price, that quality is amazing, and now the rest of the world can enjoy Apple awesomeness.

I don't see any 'crow eating' coming any time soon :p    Learn to AppleInsider.

If they introduce a plastic iPhone, I will eat crow! 

Answer me this; what entry level Apple product is plastic? Even the iPod Shuffle is aluminum. 

• Reply 33 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Gyro and compass? Not at all likely as those are used in both motion and location tracking, pretty important pieces of data for both the user and Apple.

And what motion and tracking will be needed by someone who only uses a phone to talks and send texts? Assuming this is the market this rumored cheap phone is for. 

• Reply 34 of 73
    The exercise was to try and determine what would be removed to make it cheaper, if at all Apple would introduce such a product, which I still don't see. So what is currently in the iPhone that users who would buy a cheaper version, would not need that could be removed to make it cheaper? 
    gatorguy wrote: »

There's much cheaper smartphones that include the same basic features found on a top-of-the-line model. Typically less-expensive components and casings are used rather than not including a base function at all.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Margin.

• Reply 36 of 73
    And what motion and tracking will be needed by someone who only uses a phone to talks and send texts? Assuming this is the market this rumored cheap phone is for. 

Apple still wants to know where you are, users still want to play games, and maps work better with compasses.
  • Reply 37 of 73

The assumption is faulty. Why would Apple want to make a phone that can't run apps? It's Apple. They're not making a dumbphone. They're not gimping the iPhone. It just will not happen.

Also, you're fine with a phone that can only be used in portrait? You don't see any problem with that?
  • Reply 38 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I'm thinking iPod touch with 16GB storage at $399 for the new iPhone {something} and the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone? 

• Reply 39 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The assumption is faulty. Why would Apple want to make a phone that can't run apps? It's Apple. They're not making a dumbphone. They're not gimping the iPhone. It just will not happen.

Also, you're fine with a phone that can only be used in portrait? You don't see any problem with that?

LOL no, I am not fine with any of it. I am putting the question out there for those who think a cheaper, plastic phone is on the way. What would be removed or take away to make it cheaper? Which I DO NOT think Apple will do. But for those saying it will happen, then show me how it will happen. 

• Reply 40 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Margin.

And why would Apple do that? It is always better to sell fewer items at higher margin than more at less margin as you have to take into account the entire supply chain. 

Don't believe me, but look at Apple's profit vs. Samsung's profit.