Rumor: Apple suppliers now shipping 'large number' of parts for low-cost iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple still wants to know where you are, users still want to play games, and maps work better with compasses.

Agreed. Again, I was playing the other side and pushing the "plastic iPhone" crowd to show me what would be removed to make it cheaper. Sorry if everyone is thinking I am advocating any of this :) 

• Reply 42 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

If they introduce a plastic iPhone, I will eat crow! 

Answer me this; what entry level Apple product is plastic? Even the iPod Shuffle is aluminum. 

I would eat crow if Apple released a $99 off contract phone.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    But for those saying it will happen, then show me how it will happen. 

It's amazing how infrequently they can do that...
  • Reply 44 of 73
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The exercise was to try and determine what would be removed to make it cheaper, if at all Apple would introduce such a product, which I still don't see. So what is currently in the iPhone that users who would buy a cheaper version, would not need that could be removed to make it cheaper? 

They can remove .....

Very high margins
  • Reply 45 of 73
    And why would Apple do that? It is always better to sell fewer items at higher margin than more at less margin as you have to take into account the entire supply chain. 

Don't believe me, but look at Apple's profit vs. Samsung's profit. 

iOS is a platform.
    Samsung are catching up on profit.

Next argument
  • Reply 46 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They can remove .....

Very high margins

AGAIN, why would they, or anyone want to do that? Selling fewer at higher margins is always better than selling more at lower margins as you simply don't have to work as hard, and by that I mean you don't have to put as much through the supply chain where more issues could happen. 

Would you rather sell 100 phones at $20 profit or 200 phones at $10? 

• Reply 47 of 73

Quote:

iOS is a platform.

Samsung are catching up on profit.

Next argument

Where is Samsung catching up on profit? Did they lower their quality again, raise their prices, or through volume decrease their component cost? 

Tim at WWDC sated (again) that Apple is not about volume, but user experience.

So next argument. 

• Reply 48 of 73
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

And why would Apple do that? It is always better to sell fewer items at higher margin than more at less margin as you have to take into account the entire supply chain. 

Don't believe me, but look at Apple's profit vs. Samsung's profit. 

Maybe in NA and Europe. How well does that work in Asia?

Profit is profit when you are losing a huge, but not all by any means, chunk of the market to cut rate competitors. People want Apple phones. A cheaper but still high quality version will satisfy a huge portion of the Chinese population.

... and I'm not talking dirt cheap. Apple doesn't compete in that arena.

• Reply 49 of 73
    Where is Samsung catching up on profit? Did they lower their quality again, raise their prices, or through volume decrease their component cost? 

Tim at WWDC sated (again) that Apple is not about volume, but user experience.

So next argument. 

Samsung is catching up in profit in all reports on profit share since last year. Google it.

Tim Cook is not going to announce new products - his defensive answer is typical of a non-response when apple is questioned about new products. See the 7 inch iPad ( and we got the exact same arguments last year when iPad mini components were being seen).

Lastly Apple do care about market share when they are winning market share, all conference calls mention the iPod percentage of music player sakes and they used to mention the iPad percentage of tablet sales. They mentioned mobile market share in the conference and said that iOS 6 is installed on more devices than any one Android system. This was an indication of concern about platform - which developers care about.

Every company which saturates a market moves onto the next. This may or may not cannibalise their own sales but as they also say - and show with lower priced devices like the mini and the touch - they prefer to cannibalise themselves.

Next argument.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Agreed. Again, I was playing the other side and pushing the "plastic iPhone" crowd to show me what would be removed to make it cheaper. Sorry if everyone is thinking I am advocating any of this :) 

I agree that simply making the phone plastic won't do anything for the price. 

But, I would assume if a cheaper iPhone were to happen it wouldn't be that much cheaper than Apple's current handsets. I could see a device akin to the 4S sold for $399. That's only $50 less than the 4S would be sold for anyway. Apple could figure out a way to assemble the new handset that's easier and cheaper than the 4/4S currently are, and that would help them retain their margins or possible even grow them. In order to avoid cannibalization with the 5/5S, Apple can disable some of iOS 7's graphical elements as they are going to do with the iPhone 4, and use a smaller 5MP camera as well as limit the device to 8GB of storage. With less onboard storage Apple could convince more people to utilize the benefits of iCloud and iTunes Radio.

With all that said, I don't see a sub-$300 from Apple anytime soon.

• Reply 51 of 73
    Every year the same arguments. In 2015 Apple won't be producing cheaper TVs despite the Android competition.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    blackbook wrote: »
    I agree that simply making the phone plastic won't do anything for the price. 

But, I would assume if a cheaper iPhone were to happen it wouldn't be that much cheaper than Apple's current handsets. I could see a device akin to the 4S sold for $399. That's only $50 less than the 4S would be sold for anyway. Apple could figure out a way to assemble the new handset that's easier and cheaper than the 4/4S currently are, and that would help them retain their margins or possible even grow them. In order to avoid cannibalization with the 5/5S, Apple can disable some of iOS 7's graphical elements as they are going to do with the iPhone 4, and use a smaller 5MP camera as well as limit the device to 8GB of storage. With less onboard storage Apple could convince more people to utilize the benefits of iCloud and iTunes Radio.

With all that said, I don't see a sub-$300 from Apple anytime soon.

They could do all that, remove the pHone chips as well and then sell an iPod touch for $229. Or do you think those radio chips are hugely expensive? They aren't.
  • Reply 53 of 73

Quote:

Every year the same arguments. In 2015 Apple won't be producing cheaper TVs despite the Android competition.

Show me where Apple has introduced a cheaper product to gain market share? Keep in mind the difference of form factor (different iPods and iPads) to meet size/function needs for different markets vs. simply making a cheaper version of the same. 

• Reply 54 of 73

Quote:

Samsung is catching up in profit in all reports on profit share since last year. Google it.

Tim Cook is not going to announce new products - his defensive answer is typical of a non-response when apple is questioned about new products. See the 7 inch iPad ( and we got the exact same arguments last year when iPad mini components were being seen).

Lastly Apple do care about market share when they are winning market share, all conference calls mention the iPod percentage of music player sakes and they used to mention the iPad percentage of tablet sales. They mentioned mobile market share in the conference and said that iOS 6 is installed on more devices than any one Android system. This was an indication of concern about platform - which developers care about.

Every company which saturates a market moves onto the next. This may or may not cannibalise their own sales but as they also say - and show with lower priced devices like the mini and the touch - they prefer to cannibalise themselves.

Next argument.

Market share due to user experience and love for product is not the same as flooding a market with cheaper versions to gain that same share. The iPad mini is a new form factor to reach a different market (more portable) not to reduce price to gain market. Why don't people see that? 

• Reply 55 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    asdasd wrote: »

Next argument.

Apple doesn't play the market share game. Usage share is different. Devs don't care about cheap androids if they are only used as feature phones.

Macs are still 10% or so. If apple truly wanted market share, they would release cheap macs or the forsaken Netbook.
  • Reply 56 of 73

Again, I am not suggesting Apple won't introduce, or transform their existing base phone into a less expensive version as they did the iPod touch. 

Quote:

I'm thinking iPod touch with 16GB storage at $399 for the new iPhone {something} and the iPhone 5 will be renamed simply iPhone?  

What I am suggesting is that Apple won't release a cheaper, plastic $99 phone simply to gain market share as that phone, in my opinion, will greatly reduce the user experience, something Apple clearly is more concerned about than number of sales. 

• Reply 57 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Macs are still 10% or so. If apple truly wanted market share, they would release cheap macs or the forsaken Netbook.

Excellent point. 

Apple also does not currently make any plastic products, with the exception of their Airport which I guess is some plastic composite. 

• Reply 58 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's amazing how infrequently they can do that...

Except of course the answer was given multiple times this thread. Reduced component costs, reduced margins.

• Reply 59 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple doesn't play the market share game. Usage share is different. Devs don't care about cheap androids if they are only used as feature phones.

Apple tried the Mini. It didn't work because it was a decade too late.  However it is most certainly a cheap PC.

• Reply 60 of 73

Quote:

Excellent point. 

Apple also does not currently make any plastic products, with the exception of their Airport which I guess is some plastic composite. 

Apple used to produce plastic iBooks. I am not sure what kind of argument that even is? There was a time when Apple didn't produce phones. Now they do. They do stuff they haven't before sometimes. In this case they have before.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight